Fred Phipps Class 22 Build

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
Do any of the DVDs have sound for the CL22? Ive trawled youtube and found about one second of sound which could be from any of the other locos in (or out) of view. I'm starting to think the sound of a MAN V12 may be lost forever :(

djparkins

Western Thunderer

Go back - read my posts on the other thread about why I said that - and in relation to the work we put into our own Mk.1 kits [One or two others agreed with me too]. Then if you still cannot see why the above is a cheap shot - there is absoloutely no point in explaining. So a 'giggle' at my expense is not really appreciated.

The discussion on the other thread did start to develop into something worthwhile. As I said on that thread I absolutely did not want to offend anyone. I always start from the assumption [correct or not] that we all take our model railways seriously and hold our views sincerely and that these views [as we are adults] have a well thoughtout basis - and also that we all have an equal right to say what we feel without ridicule. Obviously not.

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Do any of the DVDs have sound for the CL22? Ive trawled youtube and found about one second of sound which could be from any of the other locos in (or out) of view. I'm starting to think the sound of a MAN V12 may be lost forever :(
Jon, Diesel Hydraulic Heyday certainly has a sound track to the class 22 action, trouble is I don't know if its authentic or a carefully matched one as I never heard them in the real world, I hope it's the real thing as it does sound good, I guess I should follow Heather's suggestion and make my mind up from there, cheers Rob

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Jon, Diesel Hydraulic Heyday certainly has a sound track to the class 22 action, trouble is I don't know if its authentic or a carefully matched one as I never heard them in the real world, I hope it's the real thing as it does sound good,

.....Same goes for the other Hydraulic DVD's Jon

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
so you are - it's still a bit early in the morning and I'm still suffering from the week end 'Golden Wedding' celebrations - still got a couple of bottles of bubbly to 'kill' and SWMBO does not drink:eek::thumbs::thumbs:

cheers

Mike

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Just spoken to someone involved with 'Diesel Hydraulic Heyday' , typically the stuff filmed in the 60's was done on cine film which did not record sound therefore the sound is dubbed in the same way that most steam engine footage is. The good news is that he reckons that what you are hearing is genuine class 22 sounds carefully matched to the action. I guess some did lug around tape recorders when they went out and about, cheers Rob

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
Thats interesting Rob, I think I may have to purchase a copy in that case.

I assume they sound similar to the Maybachs, both 1,500rpm 64l V12 with a single turbo, and they do sound good :thumbs:

taliesin

Western Thunderer
I have since got home from work Jon and done as Heather suggested, certainly a couple of the clips sound very much like whats on the DVD, with them all going to the great scrapyard in the sky unless some new footage comes out of the woodwork i guess its all we have got :(, cheers Rob

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
I'm pretty sure both of the preserved warships run Maybachs not NBL/MAN engines. Although the same size and configuration they could sound very different, which is why I asked about the DVDs. Some of the sound projects don't sound right at all to me, I'm pretty sure one of them uses the Hymek V16 and another sounds like a 1,000rpm V12 ... a single Maybach has to be the best approximation.

There is a NBL/MAN being restored at the moment (in Bury IIRC) so we may actually get to hear the real thing at some point :)

taliesin

Western Thunderer
If you have been following this thread then it has been pretty obvious that i have been putting off soldering up the corner footstep etches as they appeared to me that they were way beyond my soldering skills, i do prefer to use a gas torch but these really needed to be done with a electric iron.
I had mentioned this to Fred during a phone conversation and he kindly offered to solder them for a nominal fee, i gladly took him up on his offer and handed over the etches along with some dosh at Larkrail, today a small jiffy bag arrived in the post containing,
photo-11.jpg

To say i am chuffed with the result would be an understatement, thanks Fred your a real star :thumbs:.
I know it's a kit and i am supposed to do it all myself but as a certain Harry Callahan said in Magnum Force "a mans gotta know his limitations" and in this particular case i knew mine.
Do not let this put you off the kit as i have stated through the thread my skills are limited, very limited in some areas plus here is some really good news. Time does not stand still and Fred is shortly to release a kit of the original NBL Warships, A.K.A the Class 41 which had identical footsteps, Fred is producing a casting to represent this so life will get somewhat easier in that particular area :),

cheers to all, Rob

taliesin

Western Thunderer
In the instructions it recommends that you either build up the corners of the chassis with chemical metal or glue in a sliver of plasticard. I am not particularly keen on either so a piece of scrap etch was soldered into each corner, here is a picture of one end taken from the underside, hopefully the two pads are obvious,
photo-14.jpg

This is followed by glueing a piece of 20 thou plasticard onto each pad with superglue to get the correct distance between the step and the body shell, then the steps are glued to the plasticard, also with superglue,
here is a couple of shots with the body loosely plonked onto the chassis,
photo-13.JPG

photo-12.JPG

Another small step completed :eek::rolleyes: , next up will be the detail around the central water tank,
Cheers to all, Rob

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Central water tank detail now added, basically four castings per side with two options. Option one is to obtain the separate preformed brass valences from Fred then cut away at the resin body then you can fit the castings as supplied. As the body came to me already painted i decided to go with the resin valences as attached to the body shell which means cutting down the central square pipe and the round pipe at the end, the details are parallel to those on the other side with the water tank filler caps facing the "A" end, worth checking as it saves doing this :headbang:later on.
Here is a view from one side,
photo-11.JPG

I am not too sure why those holes were drilled so i need to get the 'Milliput' out to fill those and tidy up the edges etc in general, but thats a job for another day,
cheers to all, Rob

taliesin

Western Thunderer
The Chassis has had it's final finishing including fitting the outer vacuum pipes on with 12ba screws and nuts, these were originally meant to be soldered directly to the chassis but i thought that they would be somewhat vulnerable so soldered them onto separate brackets, time will tell.
photo-12.JPG

photo-13.JPG

You would think that after first using the stuff over thirty years a go that i would remember to use a face mask when spraying etch primer or maybe i love the smell of etch primer in the afternoon :rolleyes:,

cheers to all, Rob