Free 3D Models for download from the Great Norther Railway Society

Mike Trice

Western Thunderer
The Great Northern Railway Society (GNRS) have added a new resource to their web site, accessible to members and non-members alike. This section contains 3D models that can be downloaded and printed and/or modified as the downloader desires: 3D Print Files - The Great Northern Railway Society

Some of the files are ones for models I formerly had available through Shapeways, some are new. You may be asking "why has he done this"?

With Shapeways folding it was a question of what do I do now? I could start printing them myself and selling them either direct or through ebay but I have been there, done that, bought the teeshirt. I could start selling the files through sites such as Cults3D but suspect people would expect some form of support from me which I do not have the time, nor inclination to provide. I could do nothing and just let them cease to be.

I am not getting any younger, and one day I will not be around to continue. My family would not have a clue that I had any models and even lesser clue what to do with them so the likelihood is they would disappear with me. A lot of time, effort and, in the case of Shapeways, cost had been involved in making them available so it seemed a shame that this would effectively be wasted on my demise (I should add I am not planning on going for the foreseeable future but who knows).

In the end I decided I would upload them for others to be able to download, modify, print and very possibly encourage others to follow suit. They are issued under a Creative Commons CC-BY 4 licence which even permits them to be used commercially, the only restriction is that they mention they are based on my files. Some were done quite early in my 3D modelling experience and unfortunately show however this should not detract from the print quality achievable.

The GNRS very kindly offered to host the models and they are available to members and non-members alike.

I do have more models to upload but it has proved a time consuming business so please bear with me as I am fitting this around other jobs.

Hopefully they will prove useful so for those with 3D printers, or access to one, enjoy. If you feel like posting the odd photo you will make an old man very happy.