Video From the archives of Anglia TV...

AJC

Western Thunderer
...images of two rather different aspects of the '60s freight railway courtesy of the East Anglian Film Archive. First, footage of Whitemoor hump yard showing all kinds of wonders, including fruit vans (obviously), sand, in hoppers and tipplers, bogie bolsters, mineral wagons of various stripes, the LNER 350hp shunter, more Brush Type 2s than you could shake a brake stick at and a 9F all set amongst the fixtures and fittings of what was then a state of the art operation.

East Anglian Film Archive: Here and Now: Marshalling Yards at March, 1963

Meanwhile, at Upwell, it's strawberry season and shirtsleeve weather. Drewery shunters, more fruit vans, strawberry loading and reporter riding on the footplate (outside the cab at full line speed; 12mph). Just the thing for a dank January evening.

East Anglian Film Archive: About Anglia: Wisbech Railway, 1961

Some lovely road vehicles in this, too.

Adam

steve1

Western Thunderer
Excellent

I've been operating on Alan Price & Neil Rushby's Outwell Village layout all day so this have been very serendipitous!

steve

Reactions: AJC

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
I drove along the Upwell - Wisbech road last Tuesday and my passenger and I tried to see any sign of where the tramway might have been. I have just been along the road on Streetview while comparing it with the film. The change is amazing.

John

Reactions: AJC