1/32 Gauge 1 'City of London' and Carriage Builds

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
COT Header.jpg

After a month of talking about and running my first G1 live steamer, I've decided its time to start the next one :) Moving a bit further up the challenge scale, this kit is from Barrett Steam Models and arrived in my hands as a complete set of parts. Normally one purchases a kit engine from Barrett in stages, but I was lucky enough to get this one with all stages present from a very nice member of this forum. That was back in Feb 2011 and I've been waiting since then to have gained enough confidence to tackle it.

It all came down from the loft last week, but today was the first time I have laid all of the parts out to see what is present.

COT1 Bare Bones 1.JPG

It all looks like its there and I have every faith in the original owner, but then I'm not going to be surprised if the odd fixing is missing. There is a lot of stuff in the plastic bags, everything from detailing parts and castings through to fixings and crank axles.

COT2 Bare Bones 2.JPG

Age wise, I'm pretty sure the kit is around 13 years old as the boiler was tested to 200 psi in June 2000 according to the instruction manual. Speaking of which, the kit comes with a instruction manual containing written instructions and photographs whilst I also received a Locomotives Illustrated as a further reference.

COT3 Instructions 1.JPG

COT4 Instructions 2.JPG
The kit falls under the title of 'Advanced Model Makers Kit' which means you aren't just going to be screwing it together, there will be some soldering (both soft and silver), some forming, some fettling and fitting as well as painting to do. I have a minor advantage in that another friend within my local group is almost at the air test stage on their kit, if I get stuck I've already been granted permission to poke around their chassis to see how it goes together :) I have a minor disadvantage in that said friend is very good so I've already been warned that my efforts will be compared...

Its a bit too nice to be indoors mucking around with a kit so this afternoon I sat out in the garden and read the manual, essentially to work out what I was going to need to build the kit. In terms of what I haven't already got, the silver soldering stuff I knew about and the rest of it is pretty minor so I reckon I'm good to go.

COT5 Stuff to Buy.JPG

I will of course be ignoring the suggested build order, but thats because the first jobs are silver soldering the chassis together and I haven't got the kit for that yet. Instead, I shall be attempting the front bogie and will report back when I have something to show.
Steve

S

Simon Dunkley

A somewhat more complicated process than the Castle, but a beautiful companion for it.
Shame about the difference in scales, but that will be forgotten when running the finished product outside.

What will follow?

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
I have looked at theBarrett Engineering models on many occasions, and always been put off by the fact they are 10mm scale. I do wish they would do some....any....1/32 stuff.

Again, I'm sure that this will be a very valuable thread.

So Steve, you've got until next Saturday, right?

Cheers

Richard

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Some 10mm coaches I expect:D

:D
She'll be heading up (eventually) a London to Birkenhead Corridor coach set. The original owner of the COT had fabricated the basic coach bodies, they are now sitting up in the loft awaiting their turn on the modelling desk. There is just the small issue of the engine first, then all of the paneling to work out and construct...I'm already having palpitations over the latter...
Anyway, thats all for a thread in the future, or maybe this one once COT is up and running...

So Steve, you've got until next Saturday, right?
Cheers
Richard
Maybe just for the bogie :D
On the other hand, having just discovered water coming through the roof, maybe not :(

Steve

ScottW

Western Thunderer
I'm looking forward to this Steve. I enjoyed your last thread on building the Castle and I can feel myself slowly getting sucked into this live steam stuff.

Keep up the good work.

Scott

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
She'll be heading up (eventually) a London to Birkenhead Corridor coach set.
If you are talking about a working over the GW&GC Jt New Line then the GWR Carriage Registers identify which Toplight Lots were ordered specifically for those workings... hence diagrams and running numbers are available (C32 and D47 lots predominately). Unfortunately I have no firm information as to which restuarant diagrams were used on those services pre-WW1. "Edwardian Enterprise" (John Lewis et al, WSP) contains a photo of such a working... four or five carriages plus restaurant car, passing Old Oak Common, hauled by Polar Star pre-1914.

regards, Graham

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Well done Sreve,
there is a few of these running around so you can approach it with confidence that it will work when finished, good luck when you come to silver solder the mild steel frames together, not the most pleasant of jobs, although proven to be doable. cheers Rob

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
I've had a ponder whilst filing cusps:
I have looked at the Barrett Engineering models on many occasions, and always been put off by the fact they are 10mm scale. I do wish they would do some....any....1/32 stuff.

Thats a shame. At 10mm to the foot, the gauge is only 2.5" too narrow, or to put it another way - it is the same standard as Pendon is in 4mm. From a finescale viewpoint, I have to say thats not really in the realms of 'upsetting'. Compromised, yes, but then the tyre width and flanges are a bigger issue, especially close up or when photographing a model. However, they pail into utter significance when your engine is running with 10 coaches on the back, emitting a fantastic exhaust beat, on the other side of the garden. Some tracks have circuits that are well over 4' off the ground due to the way the land slopes, that bit of extra flange helps keep the heart rate down especially when you've witnessed the difference in speed you get from varying boiler pressure at a constant regulator.

Whilst a lot of Gauge 1 people are 'loco centric', more than a few are interested in 'making the train' and running it in a finescale way. That is everything from running at a sensible speed to making sure you have enough fuel and water at the end of your run to be able to drive your engine into the storage sidings, not propel it by hand. In my opinion, live steam requires a different mindset and priorities to running in a controlled environment, but thats my take on it. I have a foot in both camps and can see the good and bad in both. Ultimately, you have to do what makes you happy though - although I would suggest that you run an engine first before ruling something out indefinitely :)
Think I may have come across a bit evangelical there, apologies :oops:
Steve

A quick parting shot of a 10mm loco
Nick Dillon Lambie.jpg
and a 10mm scale train
Steve B\'s B12 1.JPG
and for balance a 1/32 train
Hardwicke.JPG

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
If you are talking about a working over the GW&GC Jt New Line then the GWR Carriage Registers identify which Toplight Lots were ordered specifically for those workings... hence diagrams and running numbers are available (C32 and D47 lots predominately). Unfortunately I have no firm information as to which restuarant diagrams were used on those services pre-WW1. "Edwardian Enterprise" (John Lewis et al, WSP) contains a photo of such a working... four or five carriages plus restaurant car, passing Old Oak Common, hauled by Polar Star pre-1914.

regards, Graham

Cheers for the heads up Graham, I like to see photos from the right period :thumbs:
According to the notes that came with the coach bodies, I will be running D28, E63 and E45 in one combination or another - its been a while since I've been through the box but I'm sure there are effectively two pairs and a single coach. And a K3 for fun :)
Steve

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Well done Sreve,
there is a few of these running around so you can approach it with confidence that it will work when finished, good luck when you come to silver solder the mild steel frames together, not the most pleasant of jobs, although proven to be doable. cheers Rob

Thanks Rob :)
I'm not looking forward to that bit, but at the moment I don't know how bad or difficult its going to be...
Steve

Simon

Flying Squad
Thats a shame. At 10mm to the foot, the gauge is only 2.5" too narrow, or to put it another way - it is the same standard as Pendon is in 4mm.

That's very true, and is something I've thought to myself once or twice, but once you've started modelling and building stock etc to 3/8th the thought of "polluting" it with 10mm scale is pretty unappealing.

I'm with Richard on the Barrett doing 1/32 thing, I really like their kits and locos, they are very good at capturing the spirit of a loco and they run well - but 10mm just isn't right:p

Anyway, I'm settling in with my popcorn in the auditorium and am looking forward to the show:thumbs:

Currently reading up on "West Countries" too....

Simon

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
I've had a ponder whilst filing cusps:

Thats a shame. At 10mm to the foot, the gauge is only 2.5" too narrow, or to put it another way - it is the same standard as Pendon is in 4mm. From a finescale viewpoint, I have to say thats not really in the realms of 'upsetting'. Compromised, yes, but then the tyre width and flanges are a bigger issue, especially close up or when photographing a model. However, they pail into utter significance when your engine is running with 10 coaches on the back, emitting a fantastic exhaust beat, on the other side of the garden. Some tracks have circuits that are well over 4' off the ground due to the way the land slopes, that bit of extra flange helps keep the heart rate down especially when you've witnessed the difference in speed you get from varying boiler pressure at a constant regulator.

Cogently argued, but my gripe is not about track standards, rather the height disparity of mixing the stock on the same layout. I'm already settled on track standards, and since I only have 1/32 stuff in the to do pile, I see no need to look anywhere else. Besides which, I get the impression that 1/32 is in the ascendancy in terms of newly introduced items, and by the time I get to your stage - building live steam seriously - I hope there may be more choice.

Richard

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
That's very true, and is something I've thought to myself once or twice, but once you've started modelling and building stock etc to 3/8th the thought of "polluting" it with 10mm scale is pretty unappealing.
I wouldn't mix in the same train for definite, but for the pleasure of 'running', I'm more relaxed :)
I'm with Richard on the Barrett doing 1/32 thing, I really like their kits and locos, they are very good at capturing the spirit of a loco and they run well - but 10mm just isn't right:p
You hair shirter, you :) Maybe, one day, they will...
Anyway, I'm settling in with my popcorn in the auditorium and am looking forward to the show:thumbs:
You'll need a large bag, this one isn't going to be a quickie...
Currently reading up on "West Countries" too...
Excellent, can't be long now before 'stuff' starts happening...

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Cogently argued, but my gripe is not about track standards, rather the height disparity of mixing the stock on the same layout. I'm already settled on track standards, and since I only have 1/32 stuff in the to do pile, I see no need to look anywhere else.

My bold - and I can't argue with you :) I was coming at it from a solely 'train' perspective, if you already have stock and view it all from a layout perspective then my argument falls flat on its derriere :oops:
Besides which, I get the impression that 1/32 is in the ascendancy in terms of newly introduced items, and by the time I get to your stage - building live steam seriously - I hope there may be more choice.

Richard
I think coaches are the key - Aster have been doing 1/32 for a while but 1/32 coaches are few and far between. If that market gets cracked, I think you may well be right and 1/32 stuff will be the scale for future stuff. I hope you'll still let me run my 10mm stuff if you build a track though :)) ;)
Steve

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
In a perverse way this thread is WT at its best... I have found the discussion enlightening and of substance, long may such coversations continue.

regards, Graham