Gauge O Guild Special Interest groups

Discussion in 'CAD Corner' started by Rob Pulham, 25 June 2021.

1. Rob Pulham

Rob Pulham Western Thunderer

Funny you should say that Ian, an NER axlebox is possibly going to be attempted soon.

2. Rob Pulham

Further to my post above my last foray into 3D CAD for now is an NER no2 Axlebox

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also discovered the render tool which makes the pictures look so much better.

3. Rob Pulham

A friend in Oz (@Kerry Viney) is building an NER Class J from a set of Medley Models/NER Days etches. They came etches only so I offered to draw up some boiler fittings for it.

I started with a dome and within 24 hours Kerry had it printed and sat on his boiler. Below is the first iteration of the dome which is fine but I wasn't keen on the transition between the dome and flare. So after drawing the chimney and safety valve bonnet I re drew it.

J Class Dome - 4ft 3in boiler.PNG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a real shame that we can't just print them in shiny brass at home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GrahameH, 22045, Len Cattley and 4 others like this.
  4. 22045

22045 Member

Rob

I am amazed at what you can do with 3d printing. Incredible!

Ian

Rob Pulham likes this.
  5. Rob Pulham

Thanks Ian,

The rendering facility does make them look rather pretty.

Fellow member Tom Burnham kindly pointed out that I had made an error on the safety valve bonnet. The top of it should be oval not round, something that I wondered but didn't know how to do and couldn't find definitive proof so I went with the easier option.

Tom kindly provided me with the info that I needed to get it right so here it is.

Safety Valve Bonnet 1.png Safety Valve Bonnet 2.png

Safety Valve Bonnet 3.png Safety Valve Bonnet 4.png

Safety Valve Bonnet 5.png Safety Valve Bonnet.png

I was so pleased with how it turned out that I got a bit carried away with the render function...

Len Cattley, Ressaldar, JimG and 4 others like this.
  6. Rob Pulham

Did anyone spot the not so deliberate mistake?

Tom gently pointed out that I had the orientation of the top out. It should run in line with the boiler DOH!

Safety Valve Bonnet MarkII.png

Safety Valve Bonnet MarkII - 4.png

Safety Valve Bonnet MarkII - 3.png

As ever with these things fixing the mistake taught me a few things which has improved this version over yesterday's effort so it wasn't a total bust.

Dan Randall, JimG and Dog Star like this.
  7. Rob Pulham

Buoyed up by finally getting the safety valve bonnet correct I moved swiftly on to the chimney.
    Although Tom informs me that the Class J didn't have a brass capped chimney the drawing that I worked to had it marked on so I couldn't resist depicting it in the renders

NER Class J Chimney MKII CSK Rivets.png

NER Class J Chimney MKII CSK Rivets 2.png

NER Class J Chimney MKII CSK Rivets 1.png