Getting On The Weed.....The Hunt for Missing Mojo

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Nice work Mark.:thumbs:

Would it have been easier to place the styrene strips on dry, hold down with a knife blade or something pointy then using a paint brush , brush plastic weld or the like to fix them.:confused:

Rob:thumbs:

Of course it would Rob. That very same idea came to me at 2am this morning when putting my stuff away I espied the bottle of butanone sat in the 'bad fumes for you and your lungs cupboard' next to where my superglue lives. That's when I thought 'I know. I'll do it that way next time' :rant::p It's all a learning curve and I still have 6 more bogies to modify at some point :D

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Mark,

enjoying this build and looking forward to seeing the video of the train doing the business on Ploffers track soon.

cheers

Mike

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Actually made some small progress today on the tool van and a start on the next set of bogies but nothing worth any pictures just yet.

One question I have is what is the best adhesive to use for fixing a window etch onto the bodyside?

Cheers,

Mark

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Cheers Rob. Just for that you can all have some update photos

P1010189.JPG
Holes marked and drilled out for the roof vents.

P1010190.JPG
Roof vents fitted and ribs added. these were made from thin styrene strips glued in place with butanone. Not exactly perfect but when painted they should capture the look of the real thing. Just needs the rain strips fitting at each end.

P1010191.JPG
Placed on to see how it looks. It needs cleaning up and then a coat of primer.

I still need to work out the best way to fix the roof in place. It either goes on permanently or my preferred way is to make it removable (it's that idea causing the problem :oops:)

Need to finish the rainstrips on the roof then turn atention to the bodyside next,

Mark

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Very impressive Markey boy. Which particular vehicle is this one. I look forward to the next installment:thumbs:

Rob:)

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Cheers Rob. This is still the tool van. It has three roller shutter doors and one window. I just need to start plating up the bodyside to hide all those holes :p

Would anyone happen to have a close up of the roof rainstrips from a Mk1? I was just going to use more strip but from some picture it looks llke the rainstrip is sort of L shaped. The prototype pics I have are not much use :oops:

Mark

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
great work Mark, keep it up and don't forget to tell us about your solution for fixing the roof (I might have a similar problem with the H33 conversion)

cheers

Mike

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I still need to work out the best way to fix the roof in place. It either goes on permanently or my preferred way is to make it removable (it's that idea causing the problem :oops:)

Mark

Hi Mark:)

If the coaches are not widened then you can leave enough of the Lima glazing to hold the roof in place but not show below the tops of your windows. Although the roof will not be fully fixed they will stay put.

Another alternative would be to Araldite long bolts to the inside of the roof with corresponding holes in the floor for nuts & washers, but they would need to be located away from the windows so they are not visible............although you probably wouldn't see them if painted matt black if there is not another window opposite.

Another solution I can think of would be 'L' shaped brackets glued to the inside ends of the roof with screws or bolts going through the coach ends & in to the brackets........the drawbacks with this method though will be the screws/bolts being visible if you do not have corridor connections (not sure if the real conversions had them?) & the other drawback could be that the middle of the roof may lift in time without further fixings.

A more drastic solution would be to glue the roof on & cut away the floor so that the chassis is removable from the body.

My final idea would be to replace the roof if the coach is widened with an Easybuild roof & easybuild fixing bolts.

Phill :thumbs:

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Hi Phill,

Thanks for that. I'd thought up most of those but have already started on a variation of the L bracket idea as I had some small ones knocking about in my DIY scrapheap box.

Pics to follow later once grandaughter has finished tormenting Gramps :thumbs:

Mark

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Mixed bag of results today. My idea for fixing the roof is as follows

P1010192.jpg P1010193.jpg

I made a small recess in the top of the bulkhead to sit the bracket in. I then drilled a new hole in the end where I will use a locating screw to hold the bracket to the bulkhead and a block of wood that will run the length of the coach. The roof will be araldited to the brackets at each end and finally the centre of the roof will be screwed down to avoid any bend.

The downside to today has been my attempt doing the bodysides. I originally wanted to capture the look of the stressed/rumpled stell skin that was used as per the prototypr

scan0004.jpg scan0005.jpg

What I got was more full mental breakdown tahn stressed look

P1010196.jpg P1010194.jpg

I think the styrene I used might have been a tadge too thin. I'm hoping that a couple of coats of primer and top coat will flatten out the look. I'm not too worried just yet as this is an experimental coach. I'm already in discussion with Shawn at Easybuild about having the actual coaches milled by him to the correct spec. My plan being that the homemade bodge would suffice for a garden line and the mk2 version would be more detailed and for indoor use.

If my efforts suck big time then the tool van will get stripped back to bare and converted to a bog standard Mk1 courtesy of my 3 Cees sides I have stashed away. The only thing I'll have lost is my time. But saying all that this is the only coach that has so much covered away, the other coaches have only minor alterations to them so fingers crossed it may not be too bad after all,

Mark

S

Simon Dunkley

What I got was more full mental breakdown tahn stressed

I think the styrene I used might have been a tadge too thin. I'm hoping that a couple of coats of primer and top coat will flatten out the look.
Hmmm. Think it will be a case of prime, rub down, prime, rub-down, prime. Such an approach, whilst superficially tedious, would almost certainly create some really subtle effects, and I think would worth trying - you may have serendipitously discovered a way to capture this hard to model effect.

Just a thought: it has been going well so far, and is something worth continuing in my opinion. I would imagine that gentle sanding with wet and dry is something that won't upset your convalescence, but try not to spoil the dining table surface with all that dust - it can be a real b*gger to it out of the wood grain...

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I don't think paint will improve matters Mark :(........but thicker plasticard & more rubbing down would sort it out ;)

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Sorry mate nothing of late. Mojo has been firmly put away while I get on with those classic old games of 'College Catch Up' and 'Back to Work Sonny Jim' :eek::D

marsa69

Western Thunderer
It's been a long time but a flaming quick year :eek: Where did 2014 go?

As for my modelling I've been oredered by my Occupational Therapist to bloody well go and find my mojo so yesterday I went and cleared the crap that had accumalated around my workbench. I can now get at it again. I'll post a pic later of the weedkiller tool coach now that it has been re-skinned on both sides. It won't be exciting but it will be progress. Next bit will be to work out how to fix the roof and how to hide the join between roof and bodyside? :confused: I'm actually thinking of permanently glueing it in place as once the interior is done there won't actually be a need to get back in there. After that I just need to sort out the wheels by fitting some bearings, doing the end detail and sorting out some couplings - either KD's or home made as it'll be running in a permanently coupled rake. Answers on a postcard if you have any better suggestions? :thumbs:

Mark