Giles' misc. Work bench.

alastairq

Western Thunderer
you need a few rabbits there- maybe animated ones?

Rabbits perhaps disappearing down a hole, then reappearing a few minutes later?

Mind, knowing Giles' skills, he'll probably also make them sit there,but have their whiskers twitching randomly!

Paul_H

An interesting technique. Did you consider making a roller system to make this easier ? There seem to be a lot of roller embosser designs on the STL download sites.

Giles

Western Thunderer
I did, but I'm not sure they give quite the right profile (maybe some do - but it's hard to tell - at least I know what I've got, if you see what I mean!)

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Thanks for posting Giles. :thumbs:

Very timely, as I’ve been working on a GWR corrugated hut in Fusion 360….
IMG_0140.jpeg
Whilst the sides and ends will be printed*, I want to make the roof, by overlaying pressed sheets of foil (made in a male/female former, much like yours), to provide suitably thin edges.

*There will be a roof included in the sides/ends print and it’ll be corrugated too, adding support to the foil - the foil itself, is needed to give the prototypical overhang.

I haven’t printed any of it yet, but it’s good to know the technique is sound and I won’t potentially be wasting any time or resin!. :)

Regards

Dan

simond

Western Thunderer
Beer cans….

I made some rollers a wee while back for a fellow Thunderer, but we didn’t yet get it to a reliable process. Not rolling does have much to commend it.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Working it flat is proving consistent at any rate... I have all the sheets for the roof. Ideally it would be best to deb them down onto a something like a tile grout maybe, bedding the sheet down with the forming tool, so the sheet is nicely supported on the job.... but we will see.....

Allen M

Western Thunderer
Hello Giles
Your method is nearly the same as when I was in the steel works in the 1950s. You mentioned pressing in one go. That was how it was done back then.
You mention 6ft x 2ft 6in. They were used with a 3in corrugation pitch and 2 over lap side by side and a 6in overlap across the ends. This means that looking at a sheeted area each the visible part of each sheet was 5ft 6in X 2ft.
I am certain the width & pitch was standard but different lengths may have been available from other sites.

Thanks for the interesting film and bring back memories.

Regards
Allen

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Sheets were pressed and rolled - see examples below.
Modern production tends to be with rollers set at 90 degrees to these two, producing 'continuous' sheeting which is then cut to length as required.

1840s England:
1840s.jpg

1940s Australia (note 4 sheets at a time):
1940s.jpg

Images from CORRUGATED IRON Building on the Frontier by Adam Mornement & Simon Holloway (shown for educational purposes only).

Fitzroy

Western Thunderer
If you are going to form corrugated iron why not use steel shim and then you can have real rust? I know it would take more force to form, but still...

Giles

Western Thunderer
Finished with making the corrugated iron, but I need to do the bolts! It turned out relatively easy to do in practice as I bedded it down onto 'Sticks like s***' or 'No Nails' or whatever it is.... which made the job simple, and will help support the corrugations when it fully goes off as well. I now need to sort bolt heads before setting about painting. Window and door are made and will be the last things to fit. I also need to get on with the wheels....

Giles

Western Thunderer
I forgot to say that this was done by using aerosol to lay down some basic rust colours all over, then brushed green over most of the body ( for instance not at the bottom, where rust was creeping up) and then sponged dark rust followed by a mid rust over all rust areas and roof. Everywhere had talc applied generously whilst still wet, waited a few minutes a brushed off again.
By this time most of the green had disappeared, so green was reapplied selectively into grooves quite sparingly, again with talc following.
After thorough brushing off, a (quite heavy) black wash was brushed over the whole thing to tie it all together, which looked good wet, awful half dry, and very nice completely dried.....

simond

Western Thunderer
Giles,

it looks wonderful, and the painting has certainly worked. The rusty cast iron wheels are totally believable.

I feel the smaller wheels were smaller so that they would turn under the body at tight lock, but they look like they just wouldn’t - or is it the viewing angle? I’m guessing it’s a turntable axle? A little more packing perhaps?

best
Simon

Giles

Western Thunderer
The axle rocks slightly, and the closest side is sat on a lump! The wheels do swing under fine - but your absolutely right in your deductions though!