Grotty Box Brownie Shots 1963 -65

AJC

Western Thunderer
What year was this David? The second slope sided mineral looks to still be in MoT bauxite livery.
Cheers
Tony

Two things - it's not slope sided, but riveted and since you can just about make out the clutch, it's a BR-built 1/109. So it could be a repaint in a darker grey, which did happen, now and then.

Adam

RonnieS

Western Thunderer
The dissatisfaction began the previous year (1964) as the variety of Loco types diminished.
"Spaceships" or "Niners" were, however, always impressive beasts. 92245 near Oxley's coaling stage. View attachment 224050
1726761725490.jpeg
And 92007 waiting to leave. We had a mate, Graham, 2 school years older than us who worked at Oxley. He was always "renaming" locos. In this case "James Bond" on the opposite smoke deflector and the highlighting of 007.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Just been catching up on your thread. These pictures take me back to my days at Coalville ( 17C, then 15D until closure.) Full of Stanier 8F's and Fowler 4F's in later years - it had been one of the last stamping grands of Johnson/Deeley 2Fs for the Glenfield line, with it's restrictive tunnel, but these were all gone in the sixties, replaced by a couple of Standard 2 2-6-0's. 'Spaceships' (Standard class 9's) were rare visitors as they could not get 'on shed', tending to derail at the yard access lead. Unfortunate my photo's are few and far between,

Many thanks for reminding a somewhat older enthusiast of those great days for the fans of steam!

Roger :) :thumbs: .

Western Thunderer
Or, and the wagon underframe isn't clear but I now think it's a fitted 1/109.
Hello Ronnie,
I'll double check tonight, but I don't think any were ever fitted. But I did see in Volume 2 of the Larkin acquired wagons books a dark unfitted grey 20t coal wagon next to an equally newly painted light grey 20t coal wagon. It wasn't this dark though, so I guess it's dark and grimy??
Tony

RonnieS

Western Thunderer
Yes there were a few fitted 1/109's. Lot 2806 just 205 wagons. Aluminium side sheets! I have a photograph of B261662 (Don Rowland) which strangely has black patches to (I assume) bauxite livery. My model used a Parkside body and a shortened Red Panda u/f. However, on my Grotty shot it does not appear to have clasp brakes so? But then again the return crank on the vee hanger seems to be this brake gear. The shot is not clear hence the thread title.

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Yes there were a few fitted 1/109's. Lot 2806 just 205 wagons. Aluminium side sheets! I have a photograph of B261662 (Don Rowland) which strangely has black patches to (I assume) bauxite livery. My model used a Parkside body and a shortened Red Panda u/f. However, on my Grotty shot it does not appear to have clasp brakes so? But then again the return crank on the vee hanger seems to be this brake gear. The shot is not clear hence the thread title.

Not sure how many really had ally. The only one I've seen a decent picture of (that I can lay hands on), is this from @hrmspaul and it's definitely steel: BR 16t Mineral rivetted diag 1/109 unfitted | B261650 COAL 16VB

To go back to the original confusion - which is probably my fault - there were riveted bodied minerals with top flap doors built for the MoWT, but those all had bottom doors and independent brakes. The one in your shot has neither, therefore it's a 1/109.

Adam

RonnieS

Western Thunderer
Mineral Wagons are a minefield! I do not know if I can send a personal message on Western Thunder? as I am a new member. I can't post the info I have because of copyright but there was a series of articles in Modellers backtrack plus several dozen books I have of which many are out of print. There were Mineral wagons built with clasp brakes that were intended to be fitted that never got connected up. I have photographs of vehicles that are well out of published sequence yet existed. Mineral Wagons are a minefield!

We better stay on topic now!

Last edited:

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Mineral Wagons are a minefield! I do not know if I can send a personal message on Western Thunder? as I am a new member. I can't post the info I have because of copyright but there was a series of articles in Modellers backtrack plus several dozen books I have of which many are out of print. There were Mineral wagons built with clasp brakes that were intended to be fitted that never got connected up. I have photographs of vehicles that are well out of published sequence yet existed. Mineral Wagons are a minefield!
Little envelope symbol at the top of the page.
Insert stage name(s) of whom you wish to message and off you go.

Western Thunderer
I think that clears it up nicely. Certainly there's not much evidence for a black number patch either, so it's looking like a vacuum braked 1/109 that also may not have had the full vacuum kit either.

Great to see these oddities on film, thank you.

I'd be keen on reading the MB articles if possible.
Cheers
Tony

Western Thunderer
I will do them but may be a while as they are in a crate in the loft.
That sounds like a massive faff, don't worry on my account then. I have the Rowland and Parkin books and as you say the Rowland does detail the VB details for each lot.
Cheers
Tony

RonnieS

Western Thunderer
That sounds like a massive faff, don't worry on my account then. I have the Rowland and Parkin books and as you say the Rowland does detail the VB details for each lot.
Cheers
Tony
Not too bad as it's on my list to scan along with the next batch of Box Brownie stuff