GT3 Gas turbine project

Bagpuss

Western Thunderer
After a very long absence on here I am embarking on a new project. I came across a part made GT3 gas turbine locomotive. Could not resist having a go at finishing it, I like oddball locomotives so it appealed to me.
I will post some photos once I get started . So I will leave you with my cheep rescued 00 gauge 'Western' class diesel-hydraulic. It was very heavenly weather, I have removed some of it and have added some detail to the buffer beam
20190211_152410.jpg

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
“It was very heavenly weather”

We are certainly not getting heavenly weather just now! Don’t you just love predictable text?
Ian.

Ian,
An old Two Ronnies joke " Tickle yer arse with a feather" came out as "particularly nasty weather" in a sketch I think was called pissed pronunciation :D

Bagpuss,
I've always had the idea to build a 7mm GT3 but with a real gas turbine I believe there are ones designed for R/C model aircraft small enough !

Col.

Bagpuss

Western Thunderer
Ian,
An old Two Ronnies joke " Tickle yer arse with a feather" came out as "particularly nasty weather" in a sketch I think was called pissed pronunciation :D

Bagpuss,
I've always had the idea to build a 7mm GT3 but with a real gas turbine I believe there are ones designed for R/C model aircraft small enough !

Col.
There is a 5 1/2 inch gauge model that has a real gas tubine and it works very well.

Bagpuss

Western Thunderer
This is the GT3 as I received it. Has not been built properly as the front bogey frames have been fixed on all wrong the window is some what recked. I have to find a sutable tender frame have this one that may be ok but it is a bit short! maybe if I can find a standerd BR Hornby tender.
It is harder with no model shops open, need brass wire to make the hand rails normaly I would go to the my railway model shop.
20210211_154600.jpg20210211_154454.jpg

Bagpuss

Western Thunderer
I have stared re building the front bogey, as it had been very badly built by the privies owner. Had remove the side frames and then re fit in the correct position. I have also fitted some cross pieces them as the kit is rather poor and just expects them to be fitted with the centre blocks to the donor bogey The length of the loco body is not quit right should have been 4-5mm longer as I am finding the bogey is to near the front driving wheels. So will have to find a way to move the pivot forwards. I dont think this loco will ever win any awards as it's going to be hard to sort some of the problems especially the cab windows.Think I will do it up as if it never got scraped but lived on for many years in service. I hope this is of some interest to some of you.20210211_224704.jpg 20210211_224625.jpg20210211_224508.jpg

Bagpuss

Western Thunderer
This part made kit is proving a bit of a problem in some areas so far. The donor locomotive came with the built body it's a Main line 4-6-0 it came without a tender. I have found a main line tender to use. The centre wheels on this have no leeway for side movement so dont know what curves it can get round! May have to modify it, as the loco can negotiate a tighter curve then the tender at the moment.
I am having to completely modify the bogey and also move it forwards on the loco frames. Have made a small start on the tender as well.
Having thoughts about the finished model and still considering the end product.
20210215_172539.jpg20210215_172722.jpg 20210215_172708.jpg20210215_172554.jpg

Bagpuss

Western Thunderer
I have been thinking I may well repaint my model in BR blue. I dont think it proper colour suits the loco. I found this picture and think it looks much better.
What do any of you good folk think?maxresdefault-3.jpg

Overseer

Western Thunderer
If BR Blue is good, large logo BR Blue is even better. A grey roof would suit the turbine body shape. Maybe lose the yellow lines and cab door.

Bagpuss

Western Thunderer
I like your suggestion of a grey roof and the large logo blue. it is a bit darker like on the loco below. I think I have even got some of this colour and that would be handy as it's a case of sending for every thing at the moment.post-6733-0-52758800-1310922262_thumb.jpg

Last edited:

Bagpuss

Western Thunderer
Have spent a bit more time this afternoon on the GT3 I have had on major set back as when I tried to mask the cab windows the cab roof suddenly came of and the windows fell apart. They never did look very good, Think the glue that the previous owner had used had reacted with the plastic. So now I have to try and find some new ones or make some :( anyone have any suggestions.
Have made a start on the new livery. It is going to end up as if it carried on running .
20210219_162311.jpg20210219_162342.jpg

Reactions: AJC

Bagpuss

Western Thunderer
Hi auid I do have the instructions and noticed the reference to spare windows. I sent an e-mail to Golden Arrow last week have not had a reply yet.
Would be good if they can still supply some, as it will be a bit of a job to make new windows

Bagpuss

Western Thunderer
Today I have spent a bit of time and have got some of the new paint work done. All though it never lasted i reality to get painted BR blue I think it looks better like this. This is the first time I have done any work on an OO gauge model previously I have done models in O gauge and 16mm garden railway scale. It is a lot harder to get the nice clean lines. Even to get this stage I have had to do a lot of modifications to the loco frame as the front bogey was all wrong. It has now shown up the Golden Arrow body is a bit short approx 4mm. But it will have to stay this way, need to get hold of some hand rail knobs and wire, also transfers. It is sad the original was scraped as It was a good looking locomotive I think. A good mix of old and new. 20210223_210409.jpg20210223_205616.jpg

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Today I have spent a bit of time and have got some of the new paint work done. All though it never lasted i reality to get painted BR blue I think it looks better like this. This is the first time I have done any work on an OO gauge model previously I have done models in O gauge and 16mm garden railway scale. It is a lot harder to get the nice clean lines. Even to get this stage I have had to do a lot of modifications to the loco frame as the front bogey was all wrong. It has now shown up the Golden Arrow body is a bit short approx 4mm. But it will have to stay this way, need to get hold of some hand rail knobs and wire, also transfers. It is sad the original was scraped as It was a good looking locomotive I think. A good mix of old and new. View attachment 138952View attachment 138953
The loco was styled by one of the Rolls Royce car body designers as an after hours job, I can't remember if it was J P Bratchley or one of the other designers. The Rolls Royce link probably explains the unusual brown colour, which wouldn't look unusual on a Rolls.

A narrow orange cantrail line, big double arrows and number will finish it off. Would it have kept its GT3 number? At very least it will look nothing like all the RTR models.

Bagpuss

Western Thunderer
The loco was styled by one of the Rolls Royce car body designers as an after hours job, I can't remember if it was J P Bratchley or one of the other designers. The Rolls Royce link probably explains the unusual brown colour, which wouldn't look unusual on a Rolls.

A narrow orange cantrail line, big double arrows and number will finish it off. Would it have kept its GT3 number? At very least it will look nothing like all the RTR models.

Thank you for the info about the design I did not know about the Rolls connection. I decided to buy this rather badly made kit as it was something different. Every one has steam locos and diesels. Somehow over the years I have gone right of steam. So the fact it looks like a diesel crossed with a steam is rather appealing to me I think. It's a bit like a class 20 with steam under pinnings and a tender :)
I thought about removing the GT3 from the sides. Perhaps should have, now its painted I dont fancy bothering to, as will require a re paint.
We can just think they left them on, as it never lasted in real life I can make it look how ever I please. One thought I had was, because the Gas turbine was rather thirsty, it could have been converted to a diesel hydraulic.
I have seen photos of the RTR model it looks nice, I expect it was expensive and I think all have been sold. Dont think the brown and green did any thing for it so blue it is.

Bagpuss

Western Thunderer
Today a small amount of progress on the painting of the locomotive. I have never painted an 00 gauge model before and its not at all easy.
I am not entierly happy with some aspects but it is much better than the model I started with.20210307_160628.jpg20210307_160650.jpg20210215_172722.jpg

Bagpuss

Western Thunderer
Been busy fitting the handrails to the old turbine locomotive, over the last few day's. Not that easy!! They are not properly proto typical but then my model can have bits that have changed. As the real GT3 never lasted for long. Next problem is the cab windows have had one go at contacting the kit makes but so far they have not responded.
Hope my rambling and modelling efforts will be of some interest to someone.
20210307_164831.jpg 20210315_155528.jpg
Below photos a before the fitting of hand rails and an after