GT3 Gas turbine project

Discussion in 'Area 51' started by Bagpuss, 4 February 2021.

1. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Western Thunderer

An overall view of the loco. 20210317_164838.jpg I have fitted a rear lamp to tender as well today

Last edited: 21 March 2021
  2. Bagpuss

Today my new cab windows have arrived, Chris who makes the loco kits has very kindly made me some new ones. Sadly from the note he sent with the windows his mould has now broken :(
    Just have to get some large logo BR transfers now.

3. Bagpuss

I have made a start on removing the cab windows from the surplus moulding and cleaned up.
    Any advice on the best way to paint the window frames nice and cleanly would be much appreciated, also what is the best glue to stick them in with that will not react with resin window. This is an all new small size and modelling medium to me so any help is much appreciated.
    Also it was suggested in the note that accompanied the windows that a coat of clear varnish would help them. They are a bit opaque as can be seen but they were the best that could be produced at the time.
    20210406_105720.jpg

4. Overseer

Overseer Western Thunderer

I was going to suggest polishing the windows instead of varnishing them. It will only work if the resin (clear polyurethane?) is not milky all the way through. Try T-Cut or similar. Aircraft modellers usually mask the canopies to paint them, there are lots of aftermarket producers of die cut masks to suit aircraft, but you will need to cut your own from Tamiya, or other low tack, masking tape.

Maybe a thin wash of dark brown/black paint on the inside of the windows might disguise the milkyness.

5. Bagpuss

Thank you for the tips I will have a look at the spare bit to see if the milkiness is all the way through. What sort of glue is safe to use with them?

6. Overseer

Overseer Western Thunderer

One of the model aircraft canopy glues should work, such as R/C Modellers Canopy Glue or Zap do a canopy glue as well.

Bagpuss likes this.
  7. Yorkshire Dave

Yorkshire Dave Western Thunderer

For polishing glazing (or metal for that matter) I use the padded finger nail buffing/polishing sticks available from supermarkets and chemists.

[​IMG]
    Personally I'd make a new set of glazing from clear acrylic sheet.

Bagpuss likes this.
  8. Bagpuss

The new windows have been fitted, perhaps not the best but I am happy with them for now. The loco is a bit rough and ready in places;)

20210412_130745.jpg