Guidance for the handling of 3D printing resins

simond

Western Thunderer
The gloves that came with my Saturn were amazingly good.

I assume they were latex, in any case, they lasted ages, rather than wear once and in the bin. Happily I’m not allergic to latex, I understand it’s quite a common problem.

the blue ones I have boxes of are nowhere near as good. They’re slightly too tight, and the next size up are a bit loose.

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
Latex breaks down with either the resin or the alcohol, can't remember which. I'd be surprised if the ones that came with the printers were latex, but I've never checked. I use the blue nitrile, and reuse them many times until they are no longer fit for purpose.

The waste is one of the few things I don't like about hobby 3d printing.

Jim

adrian

Flying Squad
I assume they were latex, in any case, they lasted ages, rather than wear once and in the bin. Happily I’m not allergic to latex, I understand it’s quite a common problem.
Unfortunately after years of working in a lab environment my wife is highly allergic to latex, the cheaper the stuff is the more reactive she is to it, sufficient to be verging on anaphylaxis . So no latex gloves, it's all nitrile gloves in our house. Some fruit contains latex sufficient to trigger a mild reaction particularly kiwi fruit and bananas. She doesn't even have to touch it, if she walks into a room with rubber balloons then there will be enough of the latex proteins floating in the air on dust or whatever to cause her breathing difficulties.

So I would suggest minimising any prolonged exposure to latex, especially gloves.

simond

Western Thunderer
Having just done a fairly busy print, it looked a lot so I weighed the waste - 27g from a calculated total of 98.4g so just over a quarter.

IMG_8145.jpeg

I suppose if you compare that with etched brass or scratch building, it’s likely to be a similar proportion.

Then again, if you were to include the scrap parts that just were not good enough, and given that I’m printing v5 today…