GWR and BR(W) building colours...

simond

Western Thunderer
It’s not just me then.

not disagreeing with Chris & Dave re the scaling, but I simply take the easy way out, and use the paint with the appropriate label on, Precision as noted above, for most things, but I do have most of a litre of Land Rover Deep Bronze Green celly, which is ideal for locos, even if it is a b——y nuisance to clean up after.

I really would like a decent match for Dark & Light stone in acrylic.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Then there's colour perception after eating certain foods. An article by Dr Janet Voke in AHFAP Journal #9 lists all the common drugs that affect and produce significant changes in colour vision. Just look at what caffeine does, reduces sensitivity to red, enhances blue.

So when your reading that book with a nice strong coffee, BR maroon will fade faster than your memory, but the sky will look great!

I really wish modellers would stop fussing about colour. You've no hope, just be happy with what pleases you!
Tony

I've noticed a distinct tendency for everything to go very dark when I've drunk far too much.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
In fear of causing upset, I was making a determined effort not to comment on this discussion, until I read that article about colour memory.

I feel compelled to point out that published articles like the "Hub" example are terribly misleading.

What is notable in such an overly brief report, is the complete failure to acknowledge is that there are many, many artists out there, for whom colour memory is the key element of their creative abilities - whether that is a peculiar acuity or not!

Just crawling back under my stone now...!

Pete.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
In fear of causing upset, I was making a determined effort not to comment on this discussion, until I read that article about colour memory.

I feel compelled to point out that published articles like the "Hub" example are terribly misleading.

What is notable in such an overly brief report, is the complete failure to acknowledge is that there are many, many artists out there, for whom colour memory is the key element of their creative abilities - whether that is a peculiar acuity or not!

Pete.
I am glad you commented. Pointing out a fundamental fact which may not have been fully explained by science should not cause any upset. As someone who makes a fair proportion of their income matching and specifying colours I am aware there is a wide range in peoples ability to discern and remember colours. Understanding the properties of the pigments used, how they react with light (and the colour of the light and its make up) and how eyes change with ageing all helps with understanding how we perceive colour.

Back to the original question, I thought the GW colours in question were called light stone and medium stone.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer

Pete.
That is absolutely true, Pete. My experience is limited to the Motion Picture industry where there are (highly paid) people called color timers (USA) or Graders (UK) who are employed to ensure that films have the same colour balance and density at least throughout scenes unless there's a need for change in the look for dramatic purposes. The effect of failing to do this successfully used to be seen on reel changes in the cinema when the colour characteristics of one reel was not matched to the next, usually because of changes in the processing chemistry over the time of the production.

This is a simplistic explanation but serves to explain that some people are, indeed, gifted with remarkable colour memory.

Brian