Prototype GWR Fruit C's & D's & Other Brown Vehicles

28ten

Guv'nor
A small set of shots taken at the SDR, Im sure I can make out a battery box on the original although there is no sign of the switch on the end. I should have been paying better attention at the time :oops:

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3283.jpg

IMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

28ten

Guv'nor
Yeah, I dont think they are fussed by details like that :) it a shame I didnt check for the dynamo at the time.
In the second shot it is interesting to note the gap between the angle iron and the body .

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
Yeah, I dont think they are fussed by details like that :) it a shame I didnt check for the dynamo at the time.
In the second shot it is interesting to note the gap between the angle iron and the body .

The angle would just give strength to the framing overall AFAIK, rather than being intended to retain the planking as such. I believe the BR ones did have electric lighting, maybe the switch was removed during body repairs (you may already know all this, of course).

Edit - yeah, the switch isnt something you'd miss:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/fruitd/h16cb3f54#h16cb3f54

and in that fourth shot of yours, I think you can see where it's been

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi All I've decided to create a Galley thread on the above instead of adding to 'A new member'
I shall add others as I come across them from my photo collections.

Fruit_C1.JPG

Fruit C at the Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Rly built to Dia. Y9 in 1937/8 Lot 1606 No.s 2803-32

Fruit_D1.JPG

Fruit D taken at Tyseley Locomotive Works in October 2010.

Fruit-D.JPG

Fruit D from the Gwilli Rly.

Fruit_4.JPG

Taken at Kidderminster Station (SVR) is a Dia. Y2 Fruit (vac) built 1889-1900 from Lot 266 built at a later date, No's 2289-2400 (112)

Fruit_C5.JPG

Taken in the yard at Bridgnorth (SVR) is a Dia. Y3 Fruit C built 1911/12 from Lot 668 No's 79946-70 & 2401-25 this Lot were dual braked.

Fruit_C6.JPG

Taken at the GWS site at Didcot. This a Dia Y9 Fruit C built 1937/9 from Lot 1634 No's 2847-66 .

Bloater1.JPG

The Bloater is also from Didcot. This is a Dia. S10 built 1925/6 to Lot 1356 No's 2650-99

Monster1.JPG Monster2.JPG

These two are from the SDR Dia. P18 Monster Lot No. 1265 Running No. 594. There is a discrepancy with No. 594 & Russell Coaches Vol 2 Apendix Lot list. I'm not convinced this is a P18 as they were Carriage Trucks (Giants) although 594 is the correct number for a P18. They were also fitted with gangway connections, this one is not so fitted.

ToolVan1.JPG

Taken at the SDR. Tool Van to Dia. CC built in 1908 to Lot No. 579. There is a photo of 141 & 146 on page 499 of the new GWR Goods Wagons that has just been released. (Atkins/Beard & Tourret) The van next to the tool van is the Fruit D of Cynric pictures which starts this topic.

Van1.JPG

Taken again on my visit to Didcot this year. This has no information on it but I believe it to be a Dia. P19 (Covered Van) I've also include my 7mm model of same. This is from a DJB kit, no relation!

IMG_4717.JPG

Simon

Flying Squad
Thanks for the pictures Dave:thumbs: and thanks to Phill for merging the threads and bringing Cynric's pictures back to our attention.

I must get back on to my 1/32 WEP kit of the Fruit D, these new pictures are very helpful indeed for all the bolt head detail etc.

Simon

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi All

Whilst searching for photos for a topic on RMweb for Fruit D's I came across another photo of one at Tyseley, this was next to the one I'd already posted (W3461W) which says it's a D where as this doesn't, but the number 2342 is listed in the GWR E-list to Dia. Y1, Lot 638 built in 1892.

W3461W is a BR built one in 1955 still to a GW Dia. Y11 and Lot 1780.

Fruit_D2.JPG

Dave

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi MTH

I agree with you 2342 was built in 1952 to Dia. Y14 Lot 1765 (20 to this number)
The GWR E-lists are incorrect in many cases and I'm trying to get access to then to get them corrected.

Hi All

I now have copies of the Preserved Wagons & Coaches as listed on the GWR E-List web site.
I have spent quite a lot of time working on the Wagons List initially in between painting our two upstairs bedrooms.

There is a lot more involved than I first thought! For cross referencing I've been using the Vintage Carriage Trusts List (VCT) the (813) Groups web site and the new GW Goods Wagons book. I also just bought another reference book 'Preserved Railway Carriages' by John Lloyd & Murray Brown, this book is recommended by Bill Parker of WEP Models. This book also covers the Brown Vehicles giving the following, 'running No,s , year, type, built, diag, lot, location, although this may now not be correct.

At the back it gives all regions Preserved Departmental Stock numbers and origin, e.g 150027 GWR Siphon.G 2790. etc.

I started off working through the (813) Groups List, 85 Wagon items. There is now a lot of alterations in Red on the E-Lists Wagons sheets. (14 pages) I shall start on the GWS Didcot stock list next then continue with Heritage sites that give their stock lists.

These stock list are Great Western only I'm afraid!

Dave

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
Hi All I've decided to create a Galley thread on the above instead of adding to 'A new member'
I shall add others as I come across them from my photo collections.

View attachment 26134

Fruit C at the Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Rly built to Dia. Y9 in 1937/8 Lot 1606 No.s 2803-32

View attachment 26135

Fruit D taken at Tyseley Locomotive Works in October 2010.

View attachment 26136

Fruit D from the Gwilli Rly.

View attachment 26137

Taken at Kidderminster Station (SVR) is a Dia. Y2 Fruit (vac) built 1889-1900 from Lot 266 built at a later date, No's 2289-2400 (112)

View attachment 26138

Taken in the yard at Bridgnorth (SVR) is a Dia. Y3 Fruit C built 1911/12 from Lot 668 No's 79946-70 & 2401-25 this Lot were dual braked.

View attachment 26144

Taken at the GWS site at Didcot. This a Dia Y9 Fruit C built 1937/9 from Lot 1634 No's 2847-66 .

View attachment 26145

The Bloater is also from Didcot. This is a Dia. S10 built 1925/6 to Lot 1356 No's 2650-99

View attachment 26170 View attachment 26171

These two are from the SDR Dia. P18 Monster Lot No. 1265 Running No. 594. There is a discrepancy with No. 594 & Russell Coaches Vol 2 Apendix Lot list. I'm not convinced this is a P18 as they were Carriage Trucks (Giants) although 594 is the correct number for a P18. They were also fitted with gangway connections, this one is not so fitted.

View attachment 26173

Taken at the SDR. Tool Van to Dia. CC built in 1908 to Lot No. 579. There is a photo of 141 & 146 on page 499 of the new GWR Goods Wagons that has just been released. (Atkins/Beard & Tourret) The van next to the tool van is the Fruit D of Cynric pictures which starts this topic.

View attachment 26174

Taken again on my visit to Didcot this year. This has no information on it but I believe it to be a Dia. P19 (Covered Van) I've also include my 7mm model of same. This is from a DJB kit, no relation!

View attachment 26175

Dave,
Thank you for those crisp Brown Vehicle photos - gosh, where did the last ten years go ?

I'd like to ask about your Monster pictures from Totnes, because I'm building a G1 model of that very CCT when it was a mobile shoe shop at P'Talbot Steelworks:

Safety Shoe Special copy.jpg

Sorry about the distant view: it's the best I've found.
Modelling in a largish scale makes it harder to fudge those details one hasn't understood. After several days of browsing books and websites, I think I've got my head round everything above the solebar, except the long locking bolt at each end:

Monster2 copy.jpg

Can anyone tell me how it works, please?
It seems to enter a catch-plate under the roof, sliding through sockets in the ends of the flap hinges, but I can't see what lifts and lowers it, or what latches it up or down.​
The mechanism at the bottom end seems to be more elaborate than what I can glimpse on photos of other Monsters, and is also hidden behind a chain (that stops the nearer T-shaped door chock from going AWOL).

As Dave's pair of photos are taken from slightly different viewpoints, I've already learned a lot from squinting at them both at once through a stereoscope:

Monster Stereo 2 detail.png

(I'm also puzzled by the mechanism at the tops of the doors, but as I'm not planning opening doors, I can just imitate their appearance without needing to know how it works. All the same, if anyone does know, I'd be grateful to hear :) )

Thanks, David

simond

Western Thunderer
It appears to me that the vertical round bar is simply a very long bolt and it is pushed into a socket/staple on the edge of the vehicle roof. I can't make out how the bolt is fixed at the lower end.

The two parts shaped like upside down "T" appear to be fixed to the doors, and have a hole which engages in a pin on the edge of the roof. This will prevent "racking" - ie the body sides going away from vertical - when subject to dynamic loads.

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
It appears to me that the vertical round bar is simply a very long bolt and it is pushed into a socket/staple on the edge of the vehicle roof. I can't make out how the bolt is fixed at the lower end.
Yes, that all fits, thanks, Simon.
The two parts shaped like upside down "T" appear to be fixed to the doors, and have a hole which engages in a pin on the edge of the roof. This will prevent "racking" - ie the body sides going away from vertical - when subject to dynamic loads.
Good thinking! Four less things to worry about :)
There were two versions of the "T", with the early ones curved to follow the roof arc, while BR-era ones were straight.​
David​