1/32 GWR Toad AA19 Guard's Van Build

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Still some way to go yet simond, if it ever does get finished, when we were having running GTG it was always out on the end of my freight train. Which was more important than continuing with the build.
Dave

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Update on the Toad AA19 , I have now covered the roof with Calico stuck down with 3M Spray Mount.

I have over lapped the sides but kept it flush on the ends. As can be seen from the photos I've added strips of evergreen all the way round underneath.
This adds to the holding down of the Calico and giving it a more prototypical thickness to the edges.

On the top can be seen I've added two thin strips at the ends, this is mainly to stop the ends fraying but I think it doesn't look out of place even though
the prototype doesn't have them, in the photos I have that is.

Toad P19 with covered roof_1.jpg

When I've painted the roof I will then open out the hole for the Chimney, Calico frays easily so this has to done afterwards, I can then supper glue the Chimney in place.

Toad P19 with covered roof_2.jpg

Dave

Last edited:

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Very nice interior modelling Dave and I think a lot of the smaller scale models have similar beading at ends on the roof on their respective moulding and I would think it makes sense to deflect the water?
Maybe completely wrong but looks fine to me. I remember an article in an earlier edition of the MRJ covering modelling a Toad in O gauge complete with detailed interior.
Julian

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi Julian
Thank you for your comments, especially the ref. to the Toad interior. So I checked the MRJ index online and come up with 6 hits of which I have 5 of them. So I started at the lowest number first (3) and low and behold there's the article by Peter Tray with the interior detail, and how he made the stove.
My Toad is a lot further on in time from the ones he was building so his stove was fairly simple. I have a photo of the Toad in the Steam Museum in Swindon which would be a lot more difficult to reproduce.
So I still have the Stove, desk & chair to make yet and of course handrails.
Dave

Keith Phillips

Western Thunderer
Just started my kit and following along with your pictures and description. I really appreciate you posting this Dave. Mine is not quite as neat and tidy but as a first attempt at a brass kit it is a fun learning experience.
All the best,
Keith

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
If you need any further info Keith just let me know, oh and don’t forget the photos.

I hope you are now back to normal and working of course.

All the best
Dave

Keith Phillips

Western Thunderer
Progress so far and those lovely Ken Martin W-Irons and axle boxes. I've got some handrails done but there's not enough wire in the kit. The last picture shows the W-Irons with the extra holes made to allow fixing to the chassis where the wire supports for the running steps pass through. The keeps will be blackened once I have got to a stage where I don't need to keep dropping the wheel sets out.

I also managed to mangle the veranda sill part which is a bit of a pain. Going to try to make a new part somehow.

All the best,

Keith

Toad construction 3.JPG Toad construction 4.JPG toad construction2.JPG

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
It’s very nice Keith, hope you are fully recovered now. I caught it at the end of July and my wife a week later. We both didn’t suffer any discomfort for than a few days.

Don’t forget to take a look at my Toad build if you get stuck with any problems.

ATB
Dave

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi Keith
What a lovely job you are making of the Toad. I may have missed it along the way, but who produces the kit?
Many thanks
Mark

Keith Phillips

Western Thunderer
Hi Mark,

It's a Mercian kit, 1:32 scale. It's still listed on their website but might take a while to get etched up.

All the best,

Keith

Keith Phillips

Western Thunderer
It’s very nice Keith, hope you are fully recovered now. I caught it at the end of July and my wife a week later. We both didn’t suffer any discomfort for than a few days.

Don’t forget to take a look at my Toad build if you get stuck with any problems.

ATB
Dave

Dave,

Sorry to hear that you both had Covid, but glad that the jabs did their job. I caught it before I had been jabbed and I'm still not able to return to work. Some good days where I do a bit on the model and some bad days where I have to leave it alone. I tried to model when I was on a 'red' day and the brain fog led me into mangling the veranda sill. So frustrated with myself for doing that.

As an aside, do you know where I can get some more of the wire for the handrails? I need lengths in excess of 14" and 0.9mm dia.

All the best,

Keith

lankytank

Western Thunderer
Barry (@lankytank), I think that you hold wire in lengths greater than 14"... or at least there was some in a parcel that I received from you a few months back.

Indeed yes, can do 0.9mm brass in metre lengths (sorry, it's not listed on the website) - if you're going to the Wootton Bassett jolly on the 4th Dec, let me know & I'll put some metre lengths in the car. Stock length is 1/2 metre anyway, which, in old money, is just shy of 20". Any of the diameters I do can be supplied as 1 metre long - they're only cut to half metre for ease of posting.

Sorry, excuse the blatant plug but some of you may not know me, so have a look here Metal Materials, Cutting tools Sundries Model Makers Engineering Tools (metalsmith.co.uk)

HTH

Last edited:

Keith Phillips

Western Thunderer
Indeed yes, can do 0.9mm brass in metre lengths (sorry, it's not listed on the website) - if you're going to the Wootton Bassett jolly on the 4th Dec, let me know & I'll put some metre lengths in the car. Stock length is 1/2 metre anyway, which, in old money, is just shy of 20". Any of the diameters I do can be supplied as 1 metre long - they're only cut to half metre for ease of posting.

Sorry, excuse the blatant plug but some of you may not know me, so have a look here Metal Materials, Cutting tools Sundries Model Makers Engineering Tools (metalsmith.co.uk)

HTH

Thank you chaps, I knew you would know where to send me.

Barry, I think NS might be stronger and less likely to bend when handled than brass? I will order from the site if you can advise if NS wire is stiffer than brass as I am unsure which is best.

Regrettably I will not be able to travel to Wootton Bassett as the old long covid keeps me at home. Now I've got your site I know where to look first in future.

Cheers,

Keith