Heljan Western Enterprise plates

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
I think it is Diane Carney that's the big loss. She would make any plates for you, and not just stuff from her range.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I think it is Diane Carney that's the big loss. She would make any plates for you, and not just stuff from her range.

Which really answers the question I was going to ask. As far as I know, if Severn Mill don't do the plates you want it's a case of hard luck. I've had some very good plates from Guilplates, although they usually need some filing down to accurate shape. Equally I accept that some criticism is in order. In my case I usually decide on a loco on the basis of it being one I've seen or have some particular liking for, not decided on the basis of whether the correct plates are availble or not, so if the plates are not available from Severn Mill where should I go?

Polite answers only on this forum, please. Rude ones can be sent on a postcard.

Brian

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Hi Brian
I spoke to Diane Carney fairly recently, and she had taken the editorship of a Model Engineering magazine. This was using up most of her time so she had decided to take a year long sabbatical from etching plates. She will however prepare artwork from which customers can get their own etched. All we need is an etcher, any ideas?

Nick

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi Brian
I spoke to Diane Carney fairly recently, and she had taken the editorship of a Model Engineering magazine. This was using up most of her time so she had decided to take a year long sabbatical from etching plates. She will however prepare artwork from which customers can get their own etched. All we need is an etcher, any ideas?

Nick

That's excellent news, Nick. Personally I don't know any etchers, but I bet there are some contributors to this group who do!

In saying that she will prepare artwork does that mean that she'll research plate shapes, badges etc? I guess we can relatively easily identify correct works/tender/shed plate numbers, but as for sizes and shapes - that's another matter!

Brian

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Yes, she is excellent at researching plates, and in the past I have sent her photographs of plates and she has made them up for me. The piccy below shows Tommy plates she did from her notes and Metropolitan-Vickers ones she did from a photo I supplied:

DSCN0649.jpg

Nick

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Yes, she is excellent at researching plates, and in the past I have sent her photographs of plates and she has made them up for me. The piccy below shows Tommy plates she did from her notes and Metropolitan-Vickers ones she did from a photo I supplied:

Nick

Those plates are beautiful - double beautiful in fact.

OK. Give in. Next job after the A3s (for which I already have plates) I'll have to follow this up. Any ideas of companies on whom we can rely for the etching?

Brian

Locomodels

Western Thunderer
Following on from this, I have a set of Guilplates for the Claughton, though I am not really happy with them, for the reasons already stated.
Severn Mill do not do them, but Kings Cross, that is Geoff Burton, do. Does anyone have experience of plates from Kings Cross ?

alcazar

I think they will be his last specials, after that it will be from his lists only.

And he might not be in business for ever either. I'm trying to get what plates I need, even if I haven't the kit yet (!!!!), while I can.