Hello, finally signed up.

Dave F.

Western Thunderer
Hello, well I've finally had the time to read through and sign up for WT. I recognise many names from other places as well as customers of Lanarkshire Models and I hope to learn from and possibly contribute to the forum. My own interest is LMR/LNE regions and my own layout in EM gauge is of the joint line up Wharfedale which is NW of Leeds. The Layout has assumed a slightly different route up the dale, there were three or four proposed routes so my route is one of these and went through a hamlet called Wharfeside hence the name of the layout. It's been on the go for a number of years and is operational now with buildings and scenery being worked on. I'll post some photos later and hope those that know me can forgive the repeat of the pictures, I'll put on the tin hat for all the slagging and brickbats of friendly fire I'll probably have to suffer.
Thanks for having me.
Dave F.

Last edited:

Alan

Western Thunderer
More Dave good to se you here. As you may know we do like photos, plenty of them.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave.

Good to see you here. Welcome to something of a slower, more measured pace hereon.

As you say, familiar names and faces hereabouts.

Rob.

Dave F.

Western Thunderer
Okay, you asked for full photos and not thumbnails so I'll try these.

BR Clan on the Waverley standing in for the more usual Jubilee and yes the track is canted. Scenery now continues round to the fiddleyard.
P1010010.JPGYard pointwork on Wharfeside..JPG
Track all ballasted and signal box soon to be replaced with a brass one, goods shed under construction.

P1010026.JPG
Track is (LtoR) C&L components, Bill Bedford etched baseplates with C&L flatbottom rail, C&L flexitrack, all pointwork - ply sleepers with C&L or Exactoscale chairs.

So many thanks for the welcome people.

Dave F.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Thank you for the construction details of the track, the differences in products is nicely visible.

The trackwork in the photo of the signal box is very smooth and looks 'JLTRT'. Please can you repeat the shot with the brake van (tail and side lamps noted) further down, clear of the three way?

regards, Graham

Dave F.

Western Thunderer
Thanks Graham, I forgot to mention the concrete sleepered track in the first picture, C&L two bolt chairs, C&L sleepers with the embossed name scrapped off and EMGS BH rail. I like to model what I see and as all types of track were on the Wharfedale line from 1940s and 50s I thought I should represent it, the wartime concrete track dated 1942 is still there with modern electric units running on it and the 60ft rail lengths welded together.

As for another photo, do you mean further forward towards the shed?

I think I should maybe start a thread for the railway in the layout section so as not to clogg up the New Members section.

Dave F.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
As for another photo, do you mean further forward towards the shed?
With the brake van further down the siding, not standing on the visible turnout. How about a track plan so that we can place the photos in the context of your layout?

regards, Graham

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Thanks Graham, I forgot to mention the concrete sleepered track in the first picture, C&L two bolt chairs, C&L sleepers with the embossed name scrapped off and EMGS BH rail. I like to model what I see and as all types of track were on the Wharfedale line from 1940s and 50s I thought I should represent it, the wartime concrete track dated 1942 is still there with modern electric units running on it and the 60ft rail lengths welded together.

Interesting, until now I've not really looked out for wartime concrete sleepers on my Airedale line commute - I presume from your description they are on the Wharfedale line double track sections between Guiseley and Ilkley and/or Shipley-Bradford FS.

I would presume the main Airedale route between Leeds and Skipton has been relaid with newer sleepers as it has a higher traffic density.

Dave F.

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave, yes the concrete sleepered track was at Ben Rydding and a few other places but I photgraphed it at Ben Rydding about 2014. BR flat bottom was used elsewhere but it seemed the replacements were mostly for the lines running into the platforms so just a dozen panels or so.

Wharfeside track.jpg
Wharfeside station bridge 2.jpg
Wharfeside road bridge with the LMS central reinforceing beam fitted, the outer beams are still to get the stonework added to the ends.
Track still be weathered too.

I think I said before that I would start a layout thread so the welcome thread wouldn't get clogged up, when I get the time....

Dave F.

iak63

Western Thunderer
Mr Franks, welcome to this quiet, informative part of cyberspace. Trust all is well with you and Fiona. Mind, the layout is looking very nice...

Dave F.

Western Thunderer
Thanks Julian, I need to make some time over this weekend to start the thread as I'm having a few days off.
Dave F.

Dave F.

Western Thunderer
Mr Franks, welcome to this quiet, informative part of cyberspace. Trust all is well with you and Fiona. Mind, the layout is looking very nice...
Hi Iain, thanks for the comments. How are you, long time no see but then I could say that to any number of people these days... We are fine hope you both are too.
The layout has come on very well since the clubrooms reopened, fiddleyard wiring completed just the route LEDs to finish wiring on the panels. All the electromagnet uncouplers fitted and wired up at the front, etched footbridge completed and sat on the layout etc,etc.
More when I get a layout thread started.

Dave F.