Hello from Barnet

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
Hello everyone, I joined a little while ago, after a fellow modeller kindly pointed me towards a thread on here about coach painting and lining that he thought I might find helpful for my current project and I found I needed to be a member in order to view the photos properly, which turned out to be a good thing as I might not otherwise have explored here further! There's an enormous amount going on and not enough hours in the day to read it all...
I started out building wagons, vans and carriages in plastic, white metal and brass, then tried a white metal loco (a DJH LNER J9) and am currently nearing the end of my first etched brass loco, a London Road Models GNR C2 (later the LNER C12) - here's a photo of the current state of the body, minus the chassis and cab roof, which are largely complete:
LRM C12 20220326 (1a) 1024x721.jpg
The latest work has been on the black and white lining (mainly done with a bow pen, or brush where the pen can't be used). Something odd happens with those long horizontal white lines when viewed from certain angles, to do I think with light reflecting on neighbouring lines which aren't quite flat: they do look much more uniform in real life!

Can I please ask, where would be the most appropriate sub-forum to start a workbench thread for my areas of interest? My main modelling is the LNER and GNR, with occasional European HO 'trips' - especially Swiss - and an increasing interest in early pre-grouping (Victorian) railways: a bit of a mixture, in fact...

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Can I please ask, where would be the most appropriate sub-forum to start a workbench thread for my areas of interest? My main modelling is the LNER and GNR, with occasional European HO 'trips' - especially Swiss - and an increasing interest in early pre-grouping (Victorian) railways: a bit of a mixture, in fact...
Welcome to WT! There's a 'Workbenches' Section, where you can start your own thread about whatever goes across your bench, regardless of what it is - not necessarily railway items, and then there's the Area 51 Section which is basically for all non-GWR or BR(W) railway stuff; the 'Area 51' title goes back to the very early days of the Forum & is a long & boring story. ;)
We do like lots of pictures. Also "Scattergun modelling" - i.e. having lots of different interests - is a common affliction here, you'll fit right in.
Finally for those of us who are a bit thick (a.k.a. "The Back of the Class") what scale is the loco you've pictured above?

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
Thanks, Dog Star - in that case I'm in luck, as taking photos as I work has become a bit of a habit!

Hello Jordan, thanks for the welcome and for the information, duly noted. I googled 'Area 51' when I first started reading and based on what I read, thought it might be something along the lines of things 'alien to' the Western region...
Apologies for my oversight regarding scale: I'm 4mm for UK stuff (which I stretch to include OO, 1/76 and 1/72 too, depending on the subject), HO for continental.
I just spotted your Abe Lincoln signature quote and laughed out loud!

Hello Rob, I saw your name on some threads on here, nice to bump into a familiar face :). Small world etc...