Hello from Derbyshire - quite surprised and grateful

Jim Read

Hello there,

I found this forum a couple of days ago whilst looking for something else, can't recall what. I was surprised that it was for people who like to make stuff for themselves. Hooray! I thought.

A bit of a model railway bio, I make stuff mostly from card, locos, wagons, coaches and sleepers.

I knew about Phil Sharples and kept looking at his site, I'd already started a new O Gauge micro. I kept thinking about 16mm and then thought what about 2ft 6" which gives 12.8mm call it 12mm to the foot, ideal for me with my 150mm high back scenes.

But
I will be a lurker here probably for year or so, recently I found some synthesizer videos, no keyboard! I'd made one in the 80's with a keyboard could not play it gave it to a band. I got my first oscillator working last week, once the whole thing is finished I'll use it to accompany my videos.

Cheers

Last edited:

Jim Read

Hello there,

Thought I should put up a pic;
51980347211_0a722a517b_o.jpg

From the left the brake/goods van from the CM&DPLtRly card body undercarriage bits from CCW made in the 80's, the coach is made from card including the body, W Irons, Axle boxes and coupling hooks and the same for the GN van.

The loco is a Y8, card chassis and body, Hornby wheels with every other spoke cut out, £2.20 Chinese 5 pole skewed armature motor and 40:1 worm and gear.

The track is made from code 100 rail glued to card sleepers and the Barry Slip made on top of a my own drawing with copper clad strips under.

I bought the backscene, it was rubbish I asked the bloke to send me the file and did a couple of days work on it in Photoshop.

Video of the layout with a Y7 loco made in the same manner as the Y8

28" radius point and 34" radius Barry slip, countering the rubbish that ends up as gospel about the 'minimum' radii and inhibits the imaginative use of small spaces for 0 Gauge.

And powered by a home made 3 semiconductor, pulsed/feedback controller.

That's about it.

Cheers
[edit] Ohh and the pic was made from 5 exposures with differing focal points and the stack was edited in Combine ZP

Last edited:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Welcome aboard Jim. They've seen coffee stirrer sleepers here; but cardboard ones will be new to some!! ;) :)

Jim Read

Hello Peter and Hello Jordan,

Thanks for the welcome both good of you. That's a lot of coffee :)

Cheers

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Jim

I remember your modelling from before I left RMW. And that was only 2018! Your extreme modelling talents are not lost on me though my Moor Street is, to be honest, a costly project at times. My favourite medium is brass which is not exactly card sprayed with lacquer! Do take a while to let WT work on you MO, I feel sure you will enjoy it and we can be inspired!

Jim Read

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the 'extreme talents' I don't deserve the title in the least, I always fall down every hole that opens up in front of me. You are very fortunate that metal obeys you, all I would get is a bright red hand.

Hello all,

As someone who no longer posts on RMW, too much RTR, I must have sent out 100's of PDF's and can count on one hand the people who've actually made something. So I began a search having decided to go to a large scale narrow gauge micro layout (when I've finished my synthesizer) and found this to begin with, it's a very nice forum, but not suited to what I want to do. I have joined another one more suited to my intentions.

Thanks for all the kind messages I am grateful and I wish you all the very best in your endeavours.

Cheers

Jim Read

Hello Chas,

Thanks for the kind comment, I got the GN van drawing from the GANSG archive: Beginners Guide to Model Railway Goods Services scroll down to Appendix 2 which will take you to a list of pre-group companies.

The drawings need to be measured and resized. This can be done in the free version of Photoshop CS2 (from 2005) type the words into Google and download it from Techspot.

If you need to know how I'll gladly do a 'how to' screencast.

Cheer