HELLO FROM NOTTINGHAM

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
Hello all

Having joined the other week I need now to introduce myself.

I am Tony from Nottingham. I am a Midland man and model in O gauge S7 with quite a rigid time frame, circa 1905. For some time now I have stuck to building kit and scratch built rolling stock – lurking in boxes are various loco kits which need tackling. During 2020 I realised it was about time I had a layout to run them on so with a plan sorted I’m now experimenting to see how best to build track, a first for me. As with everything that I build, and intend to build, I aim for high standards. My approach is do the research and try to get it right – not always successful, but I do try. Unfortunately this does tend to slow progress!

A long spell of gloom during the last lockdown saw my motivation completely evaporate. So noting how others had dealt with this problem I stepped sideways and bought a tank kit, a 1/35 Tamiya German Panzer Mark IV. I have an interest in military history, so a logical ‘tonic’. This now needs finishing off.

A trip to Mark in Somerset with friends and the S7 meeting the other weekend helped with my ‘recovery’ and thankfully my mind is back into model railways again.

I look forward to picking up tips, sharing ideas, and having interesting conversations.

Attached are a couple of recent builds - I still need to weather them but I've not got the confidence to do that just yet. TAR TANK WAGON 1.JPG L & NWR ONE PLANK OPEN WAGON 2 19.04.2020.JPG Both have working brakes and sprung axle boxes.

Cheers
Tony

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
... I’m now experimenting to see how best to build track...
Welcome Tony and you shall find that there are a good number of S7 modellers here who have found a pleasant domicile in the WT world.

On the home page, look down about 2/3 way towards the bottom, you shall find a sub-forum for Permanent Way and several topics on track making.

regards, Graham Beare

Last edited:

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
Michael
I used Slaters axle guards and their coil springing method with ABS LNWR leaf springs cut from LNWR axle guards topped off with ABS LNWR axle boxes - I so do miss being able to buy those packs of pre-grouping company ABS axle boxes and axle guards etc. etc. Thankfully I have just a few in a draw. The Slaters axle guards are MR design, but being not too dissimilar to Nor'West one's, and with no etched Nor' West one's available to me, I thought who'd notice...... My growing goods stock is mostly MR but there needs to be some variety in the goods yard and so I build a few of what I fancy.
Incidentally, I like the brake rack chain and pin, just visible in your third photo. Is it real very fine chain or twisted wire made to look like chain?