Hello from Wigan area.

Virgil Wedge

Hello from Wigan area.
Oops, sorry, I thought that was the thread title!
Well, you might think my name is somewhat cowboy like but I’m American and I’m actually “junior“ as my father is ”senior“.
I’m originally from Reno in Nevada but have lived in a nice cooler place (NW UK) for a few years now and I love it.
I’m in a transitional phase because I have been modeling American outline in HO since my college days but while I’ve been here, I’ve discovered your railways. I’ll call them that even though my instinct is to say Railroad!
I have been wavering over whether to sell everything I presently have and go O scale or to keep my favourites and go OO scale which means I could operate two countries trains on the same track, even if not at the same time. It’s a hard one, I must say.
One thing I do know is that I really like the “quaintness“ (sorry) of Britain upwards of a hundred years ago and I personally find that the GWR epitomises that in a better way than the other roads of the big 4.
So, I’m thinking of setting my future layout in around 1930 because by the time I’m ready with my layout, it will be 2030. I confess, I don’t really know very much about Britain in the 30s but from watching old films and things like “Downton Abbey“, it strikes me as a more genteel time and a far cry from today’s corporate America, which I find I dislike intensely.
I am aware that you have companies like Accurascale, Rapido and Revolution etc and they seem to produce models the equal of at least, Broadway Limited, Athearn, Atlas and Kato, can anyone confirm this, please?
I don’t want a lot as I don’t think you guys tied numerous locos together on a single train but I do want smooth, reliable running. My latest US diesel is super smooth (Genesis) and I would not like to inadvertently go back to cruder mechanisms.
Anyway, that’s me.
Virgil.

simond

Western Thunderer
Welcome on board!

please post photos (full size - see the click button top left of the image once loaded!) of some of your modelling. I’m sure you’ll find lots of inspiration and chat here on WT.

I model 1930-ish GW, as do a few other good folks. And some otherwise good folks rib us mercilessly for so doing.

Don't be shy, do join in.

best
Simon

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Welcome on board!

please post photos (full size - see the click button top left of the image once loaded!) of some of your modelling. I’m sure you’ll find lots of inspiration and chat here on WT.

I model 1930-ish GW, as do a few other good folks. And some otherwise good folks rib us mercilessly for so doing.

Don't be shy, do join in.

best
Simon
Oh no, I feel another pannier joke coming along…