Helping hands

DavidB

Western Thunderer
I bought what is called a monitor arm and a table clamp a few months ago to use with my camera. Making valve gear today, I really needed a helping hand and managed to set them up to hold my jeweller's pin vice whilst I soldered some tiny pieces. This particular arrangement is a bit 'in the air' (the clamp won't close on the narrower part of the handle) but I managed well enough. I have used it on a couple of other occasions closer to the bench, once to hold my micromotor so that I had two hands to hold the workpiece.

I shall employ this 'camera aid' some more in the future. There are a range of extras including ball heads and more of the pincer clamps. It would also be useful for holding lights for some jobs.

Clamping_g3864crw.jpg

simond

Western Thunderer
Good idea.

There are accessories, sold for motorbikes and other vehicles, which provide adjustable arms of various lengths, with different “ends” available, mainly aimed at mounting cameras, phones & navigators..

The originals are “Ram” mounts, there are lots of cheapo EBay copies too. They get a decent grip and are easy to adjust. I never thought of making helping hands from them before but it would be easy to do.

https://www.ram-mount.co.uk

atb
Simon

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Steph bought me a c19th version. I'm probably exaggerating as I'll bet it's c20th! A useful bit of equipment though.

B