Heyside help request

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi

This is a plea for help.

I have identified a need for some custom etches for Heyside (7mm scale if you've not aware), as I have not been able to find what I want commercially available. Given the talent (and perhaps interest too) available on this site, I wondered, cheekily, whether any of you good folk would like to assist by doing the artwork and getting the etches done for me. I would, of course, meet all costs, and perhaps a little extra, but in any event, I think you would have a marketable product at the end. I'd ask the boss, but I've already called in a life-time's worth of favours.

First off is some footbrigdes.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 9
  • scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 11
  • scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 10
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 7
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 7
  • scan0008.jpg
    scan0008.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 6

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
"I don't know sizes, so they would have to be guessed at to a certain extent"

Richard,
With regards to the drain covers in your photo's, the granite setts are approx. 4" (100mm) square, so this may help with dimensions for scaling the etches.  :scratch:
Great project by the way  :thumbs:

ATB, Col. 

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
28ten said:
Do you mean like this?

Hi Cynric

Yes, I do. Except that I think you only need one pattern, which when soldered back-to-back gives the lattice.

Thinking further. If the top and sides of each 'panel' (both the full length and the ones at intervals along the side) are full depth, and the diagonals half-etched - then the duplicates flipped over to create the lattice - you would have a very good representation of the Werneth footbridge (the one on which the signals are sited).

The ones already existing on Heyside are a cop-out flat sheet, but I can give height and length from that.

Richard

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I would love to be able to have a go for you Richard but my skills are not up to it yet, and certainly not in the time scales that you are looking at. I will be most interested to see the results of such labours though.

28ten

Guv'nor
Just to show all this geeky stuff works  :)) here is the bridge

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 13

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi

The footbridge looks great. I am most impressed with Cynric's skills. I feel a humungous IOU building up  ;D

Nigel - thanks for the suggestion, but I need the flange as well - hence rivetted strips.

Richard

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
Building the 3d model took about an hour and it threw up several design issues which I would not have picked up drawing in 2d.
What program did you use for modelling the bridge, please?

28ten

Guv'nor
Pugsley said:
What program did you use for modelling the bridge, please?
Solidworks 2009
A more affordable solution could be Alibre personal edition http://www.alibre.com/products/hobby/ it is also worth keeping an eye on this from Autodesk http://www.123dapp.com/
If you are serious about 3d it is worth taking the time to learn a suitable application. Autocad/turbocad dont really cut it for this sort of work especially if you are thinking of rapid prototyping loco bodies  8) The beauty of a part based approach it is that you are working with individual parts - this is the railing

Attachments

• railing.jpg
    railing.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 5

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Thanks.  I've looked at the Alibre product, it looks quite interesting.  I've got a copy of TurboCAD, and a 3D tutorial on the way, so will be putting in some time getting my head around 3d drawing.  I may well upgrade to something like Alibre later.

28ten

Guv'nor
Personally, I would jump straight in with Alibre, otherwise you are learning two apps rather than one, the concept behind Auto/Turbocad is totally different to parametric modelling.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Is it very different?

I must admit, I did look at the Alibre videos on the site and I kind of wish I'd seen it earlier, it does look very easy to use.  However, I'm not planning on getting too much into the 3D design, I've got a few simple parts to design such as buffers and axleboxes, but nothing as full on as loco bodies.  I can see its application for that kind of thing, but I'm not sure I can shell out the £120 at the moment.  I'm hoping that TurboCAD will give me a good grounding in 3D that I can adapt at a later date, I'm still getting my head round it slowly.  It's strange, but I feel more confident designing in 2D than 3D, despite experiencing 3D every day!

28ten

Guv'nor
Working in 3d does take some getting used to  :headbang: if you only plan on doing etching then arguably a 2d package is sufficient. The real payoff with Alibre would be the ability to assemble the etched parts and save on test etches/silly mistakes, my guess is that it would pay for itself pretty quickly. There is a demo version of Alibre available to try so you can see how you get on.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
I'm planning on using the 3D part of TurboCAD to do the axleboxes and tank ends etc for 3D printing, then the 2D part for designing the etches, which should be a little more flexible than the CorelDraw that I'm using at the moment.  I'm glad I learned how to use Corel though, it's been invaluable for making my own transfers.

I daren't try the Alibre demo, in case I like it!  ;D

28ten

Guv'nor
Turbocad will be much, much, quicker that corel for 2d drafting. The thing is that once you have learned one application you have one set of habits that need to be unlearned in another application. I am so used to the Autocad command line and HUD for typing dimensions and shortcuts directly, that I  struggle with other packages. With Alibre/Solidworks et al you construct geometry first, then add dimensions and constraints, which is better for later alterations, but it is taking some getting used to  :vista: