Hobbyhorse Three Green Boxes

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Just finished going through your build wonderful stuff. Humbling to see all the fine details that you have made. I especially appreciate the motion work between the frames. The valve links look like they are steel, is that the case?
Michael

Hobbyhorse

Western Thunderer
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your kind words.
All the motion work is an optional kit in Nickel Silver, I did consider machining up the valve gear but with the enormity of building 3 kits together I took the easy path.

Simon

King Crab

Western Thunderer
Quite a bit of progress this week.
First job was getting all the driving wheels mounted on their axles, and checking all was square and the quartering was OK.
Next the outside frames for the Flower, Duke and Bulldog was assembled onto the main frames, it's a little bit fiddly getting the buffer beams square to the frame being slightly higher.
The last two bogie frames again fairly straightforward in assembling, other than modifying them to accept the new sub frames.
One problem I did encounter was the Duke and Bulldog was riding a bit high, the instructions are a little bit ambiguous about the compensation beams, so after working out the correct height I milled off the top of the bearings to lower the frames.

Simon

oAoyauJ.jpg
QvH93lE.jpg
6nn4SxI.jpg
SlkNvTK.jpg
sIp82TJ.jpg

I'm playing catch up on this thread.
It's a pleasure to see it all coming together,
but a special treat is spotting all the little jigs and helpers you have,
to make it all accurate and true.
Wonderful to watch!

Peter

Hobbyhorse

Western Thunderer
I'm playing catch up on this thread.
It's a pleasure to see it all coming together,
but a special treat is spotting all the little jigs and helpers you have,
to make it all accurate and true.
Wonderful to watch!

Peter
Thanks Peter,

Glad your enjoying the thread.
We’re blessed on WT with some really good modellers, that share the builds with us all.
I think I’ve said it before that my main hobby is the workshop, producing bits to help make building the models easier. If you need any more info I’m happy to help.

Simon

WM183

Western Thunderer
I can see I have been hangin' out with the wrong crowd. My lord that is some amazing machining.

Hobbyhorse

Western Thunderer
Managed to grab a few hours on the Bulldog this week.
Firstly was the firebox to running plate fixings, on the firebox some 1mm plate was cut and formed to fit and spaced out the sides to the correct width. 4 fixings hold this in position with 12ba countersunk screws.

1D5209E9-6EFB-4B66-9121-64EB71AEEF61.jpeg

Next was the driving wheel splashers, the sides locate easily but the tops can be tricky, keeping all square was a little time consuming. The fit to these with the firebox is important and a small amount of adjustment was necessary, as having this removable we don’t have the benefit of filling any gaps with solder.
F4C830CC-FAD5-4F53-A6F4-D084E1CB577A.jpeg

The smokebox saddle was next which is straightforward, it will have some additional fixings added the the running plate, the small gap to the running plate will disappear once fitted.
62A967B1-2952-45FE-A6FF-038F664051FA.jpeg

Lastly the safety valve was adapted to make it removable, same fixing as the previous 2 locos.
89C9207E-F7AB-4630-B83E-2146498B9122.jpeg

Simon