Hogwarts Castle (warning not for the purist!)

rosspeacock

Modelling on a £1200 table.
Whilst on holiday in North Wales last summer I visited one or two of the narrow gauge railways in the gift shop of one of them was a gleaming replica of the Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle loco (5972 Oulton Hall) I took some measurements and had a ponder but decided It was worth a shot at ?100 and went back on last day of holidays and bought one.. When I got home I got the scale ruler out and the damn thing is pretty much bang on 7mm all the wheel centres are spot on etc. Did some more research and its made by a firm called "The Noble Collection" I think its a better all round model than the Lionel one a lot of people have been converting. Billy From Premier Components is tooling up some frames to fit this model, his eyes lit up when I initially showed him it, he plans to market them on his stall (think im getting some discount off mine ha ha!) they will be about ?40 for frames, con rods, bogie and tender frames, just need a set of slaters wheels, motor and gears (Ron Chaplin) Martello 411 slide bar, maybe some better buffers and some screw link couplings.. Hopefully will make a reasonable model :wave:

Attachments

• Noble collection Hogwarts Castle.jpg
    Noble collection Hogwarts Castle.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 75

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
It very nearly looks ready to use as it is... just the wheel flanges a little course!! Should make an unusual model! :thumbs:

Congratulations on being the first to dare to post a Kettle picture on Western Thunder!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, the motto of this thread is; always carry your scale ruler with you at all times, even on holiday!!! :p

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Jordan said:
It very nearly looks ready to use as it is... just the wheel flanges a little course!! Should make an unusual model! :thumbs:

Congratulations on being the first to dare to post a Kettle picture on Western Thunder!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, the motto of this thread is; always carry your scale ruler with you at all times, even on holiday!!! :p

KETTLE ! Who mentioned Kettle. Mmmm ok then, i'll have a cuppa whoever's brewing :lol: :lol:

28ten

Guv'nor
Jordan said:

Ross dont worry, my next one will be something steamy :lol:
As far as the model goes it doesnt look a million miles off, the boiler and firebox seem ok. mind you it looks as though the mods will cost more than the original loco :D
What it does prove is that with sufficient volume, o gauge and be affordable

rosspeacock

28ten said:
[quote=""Jordan"":sy7t1zms]It very nearly looks ready to use as it is... just the wheel flanges a little course!! Should make an unusual model! :thumbs:

Ross dont worry, my next one will be something steamy :lol:
As far as the model goes it doesnt look a million miles off, the boiler and firebox seem ok. mind you it looks as though the mods will cost more than the original loco :D
What it does prove is that with sufficient volume, o gauge and be affordable[/quote:sy7t1zms]
Wheels were the 1st thing that went in the bin ha ha :lol: :lol: hoping that I'll have less than ?300 in it altogether?? Anyway guys thought anything "western region" qualified on here??? :scratch: :scratch: Ross..

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Anything WR thats right :thumbs: . Just remember that if its a kettle your only half a member on here :lol: and only allowed a very small amount of talk time :lol: and no pics, However if its DIESEL then your a full member,can talk and post as many pics as you like :thumbs: :lol: Seriously though anything Western Region goes, its all good stuff :thumbs: Just Hydraulics are better than steam :thumbs:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
lancer1027 said:
Anything WR thats right :thumbs: .
The Soo Line was a Mid-Western Railroad, so does that count...?!? :p :lol: :lol:
scared0012.gif

(no gratuitous Soo pictures posted, anyway!! :oops: )

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
This Castle looks a lot better than the RTR Lionel one that everyone else seems to have gone for :thumbs: , which of your present projects do you plan to finish first Ross? :)
Cheers Phill
BTW I have no problem with steam or diesel or western or southern.......it's all good stuff to me mate :D ;)

rosspeacock

Phill Dyson said:
This Castle looks a lot better than the RTR Lionel one that everyone else seems to have gone for :thumbs: , which of your present projects do you plan to finish first Ross? :)
Cheers Phill
BTW I have no problem with steam or diesel or western or southern.......it's all good stuff to me mate :D ;)
Ha Ha very funny, think it will be the bungalow :mad: :scratch: Gonna a start on them bogies for you this week, will try have it up and running for Kettering, Just need to get the Lump Hammer, angle grinder and mig welder out of the garage (and buy a tube of superglue to correct any mistakes) then I can make a start :lol: :lol: might post a thread on it although its a fairly simple job at least you will be able to see progress, BTW does your home insurance cover you for damage to items whilst they are away from your home??? :?

28ten

Guv'nor
rosspeacock said:
although its a fairly simple job at least you will be able to see progress,
How many times have I said that ? :lol: :lol: I thought the Western would take 4 weeks..........

rosspeacock

28ten said:
[quote=""rosspeacock"":r73g3nji] although its a fairly simple job at least you will be able to see progress,
How many times have I said that ? :lol: :lol: I thought the Western would take 4 weeks..........[/quote:r73g3nji]
Yeah and Im spending far too much time on here too :lol: :lol: :scratch: Ross..

rosspeacock

Went to Kettering show this weekend hoping to pick up frames for my Hall unfortunately they were'nt ready, promised for Halifax though.. In the meantime I found a Motor and gearbox on "Bring and Buy" for ?22 I built this up yesterday and added a flywheel I had in my bits and pieces drawer.. The motor was a Mashima 1833 and the gears are 26:1 strenghthened the box up a bit just to stop any flexing. Made up easy enough and runs sweet and has plenty of power.. :wave: Ross..

Attachments

• Hall Motor and Gearbox 001.jpg
    Hall Motor and Gearbox 001.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Hall Motor and Gearbox 002.jpg
    Hall Motor and Gearbox 002.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 47

rosspeacock

Phill Dyson said:
That looks well up to the job :thumbs:....are you picking the frames up at Halifax?
Phill :wave:
I hope so he says will be done for then, I'll need about ?90 for slaters wheels plus money for frames.. Its my birthday today got lots of pennies in cards (could of done with having my birthday before Kettering) gonna buy a Wilesco live steam engine with money :thumbs: wanted one for ages :wave:

rosspeacock

Sorry CME been away at West Somerset Railway this weekend (plenty of hydraulic action) Ive roughly added up and reckon you will have about another ?200 on top of purchase price to fork out (wheels, motor, gearbox, frames etc) its mostly made of die-cast metal, the footplate, cab and tender underframe details are plastic, the boiler is a lot better looking than the lionel one, not saying this is a perfect model but I think it can be made into somthing fairly decent for not a lot of cash.. Noble say in their literature its 1:50 scale but according to my 7mm scale rule its as near as dammit 1:43 scale as your going to get :thumbs: Ross...

rosspeacock

Hi thats brilliant news, a good price too I'll tell Billy at Premier Components he has another customer ha ha :thumbs: Great stuff anyway... Ross..

rosspeacock

Hi :wave:
I've finally got the rest of the frame parts and front bogie, I'll be getting the wheels from Slaters and the Martello 411 slidebar assy from Warren Shepherd at Telford, I also visited the National Railway Museum at York recently and took the opportunity to take a few pictures... :thumbs:
Ross  :wave: :wave:

Attachments

• HTC smart pictures 005.jpg
    HTC smart pictures 005.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 9
  • HTC smart pictures 007.jpg
    HTC smart pictures 007.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 7
  • HTC smart pictures 008.jpg
    HTC smart pictures 008.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 6
  • HTC smart pictures 009.jpg
    HTC smart pictures 009.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 6
  • HTC smart pictures 010.jpg
    HTC smart pictures 010.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 6
  • HTC smart pictures 011.jpg
    HTC smart pictures 011.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 6

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Guys,

I've just happened upon this thread and must say it looks like a great starting point.  The models seem a bit pricier now than they did, though.
I note that you're intending to use Martello parts; you may be aware of the recent death of one of the guys involved and so they're in short supply.  Also bearing in mind the price of the Martello slidebar sets (£40+) it might well be worth you looking at the JLTRT SDK for the Hall; which will likely include crossheads, slidebars, brakegear, cosmetic springs and axleboxes and doubtless a few other bits (front bogie?), all for a shade under £100.

A carefully-worded email to Laurie at JLTRT would almost certainly get you a parts list, if you wanted one.

It's a thought that it might be easier in the long run?

Steph