HST & Thunderer to Chinnor

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I must be a nostalgic! It all started with Kings on the Snow Hill-Paddington expresses in the 1950s. The Kings had to pull hard going south from Princess Risborough. Then fast forward to an irregular Chiltern commute from Warwick Parkway to Marylebone on the first leg of a journey to West Africa via Paris 15 years ago (one time the train rain out of fuel at Gerrards Cross, causing me to plead to transfer to a sardine packed local stopping train). Then the introduction of the new locomotives, very stylish. Now well and truly retired and living in Hampshire I would still recommend the journey to anyone.

BTW, The loco has to be at the DOWN end of the train to avoid polluting Marylebone. Are us Brummies expected to put up with the fumes at Moor Street? Well, we are indeed a tougher lot!

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
BTW, The loco has to be at the DOWN end of the train to avoid polluting Marylebone. Are us Brummies expected to put up with the fumes at Moor Street? Well, we are indeed a tougher lot!

More than likely the first class seating (if any) is at the London end of the train. As is with the LNER mkIV sets.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
BTW, The loco has to be at the DOWN end of the train to avoid polluting Marylebone.

Ah, but does it become the UP end when it reached ex-GC metals? I believe the GC operated UP to Manchester and DOWN to London - hence the 197 milepost just south of Harrow on the Hill. Similarly with the Midland Railway - UP to Derby and DOWN to London.

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Ah, but does it become the UP end when it reached ex-GC metals? I believe the GC operated UP to Manchester and DOWN to London - hence the 197 milepost just south of Harrow on the Hill. Similarly with the Midland Railway - UP to Derby and DOWN to London.
I presume that in both cases "that there London Town" is at the end of a long branch line off their main systems?