Photo Hymek (1961)

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I came across this rare (for our family at least) Western Region photo whilst sorting and scanning a bucketload of negatives and photographs from my Father and Grandfather's collections. The earliest date from the 1920's and are mainly Southern, Eastern, Scottish and London Midland Regions with an odd few from the Western Region.

This is one of my Father's photographs and obviously a Hymek. The picture was taken at Upwey Halt in 1961 in the days before the yellow warning panel appeared and I presume the train originated in Weymouth. Unfortunately there is no record of the running number.

Hymek at Upwey 1961.jpg

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
This is a beauty of a photo for being so early in the honeymoon period of these engines.

If we accept that the engine has been painted in the same colour green for the majority of the bodywork then the difference in shade / tone of the front compared to the side is striking... and how about the "polished door" compared to the matt appearance of the bodyside.

thank you, Graham

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
I like them in plain green, but I like them best before they had the horns on the roof. Then again, I like all Hymeks:cool:

S

Simon Dunkley

I like them in plain green, but I like them best before they had the horns on the roof. Then again, I like all Hymeks:cool:
I think that it would take a complete philistine not to like them: the design consultants certainly got it right with that one!

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I think that it would take a complete philistine not to like them: the design consultants certainly got it right with that one!
Abso-b*****-lutey!

Wonderful engines with a great appearance - with or without roof-mounted horns. Most of the livery variations looked good... until the **** period, yuk.

S

Simon Dunkley

Of course Hymeks were never painted maroon either, and one wonders if the Design Panel had a say in that, too, because I get the sneaky feeling they'd have looked pretty awful in maroon... and the famous Fictitious Liveries Website hasn't done any Hymek pics or we'd know.
I recall seeing on on BRM Forum RMWeb: looked good, but really needed the addition of some horizontal lining, IMO
On the other hand, for those that contend that a Western would look good in any livery...
http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/photo.php?52075gw3.jpg

A true OMG moment...:confused:
a.gif
:shit:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I recall seeing on on BRM Forum RMWeb: looked good, but really needed the addition of some horizontal lining, IMO

:shit:
Funny that, I always liked BSYP as opposed to GSYP because it lacked the artificial line along the lower body, which without the line showed the body shape at it's best IMO :)

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Back to BFYE Hymeks; I think they just looked a little bland, (or more bland than other BFYE Classes) especially as the previous liveries all had some sort of embellishments; the white windows, lower green stripe on Green 'uns, etc.
Yes I agree ;), I personally think that BSYP suited them best:cool: , but from a modelling point of veiw it's BFYE for me as nostalgia for the things I remember is what actually draws me to a modelling periods & livery's most :);)