HO Eureka Heights (SP) Houston

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Yes, the title of this thread has been edited.

Because of all the research being done, it is clear that the actual location to be modelled for the transition period (steam to diesel) will be between Houston Grand Central and Eureka Junction. This stretch of track had line-side spurs serving warehouses, etc., and also carried trains destined to and from both San Antonio and Dallas. It was (and still is) double track.

Eureka Junction is too large to model, so the only evidence of the split between west and north will be a crossover.

To add interest, a passing loop to hold trains will be included and on the opposite side a loop serving the line-side businesses. There will also be a grade crossing (or maybe two?). This is going to be larger than anticipated, so a modular approach will be taken, focussing first on the scenic area and if I ever get there, a hidden circuit holding storage sidings. I am not sure where this is going to fit (!) but time will provide the answer. If it never gets finished at least it will be a shunting plank with photo opportunities for various T&NO trains passing through.

So, Hempstead Road is out and Eureka Heights is in. The double main tracks handled all SP traffic from both the passenger and freight loops to the east and the Sunset and Sunbeam lines to the west and north. The GS-4 and AC-5 still won't be prototypical, but the MT-4 would have been a possibility east of El Paso/San Antonio, most likely on the Sunset Limited. Large locos that would be prototypical would be the GS-1 4-8-4s and the F class 2-10-2s.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
A rather frustrating day on the workbench. The GS-4 box contained an exploded diagram and it appeared that just three screws separated the chassis from the body. After removing them the two parts were certainly apart but no way could they be separated. So an email has been sent for some advice.

The MT-4 is difficult to reprogram the CVs and the instructions suggest I may need a booster between controller and loco. That means money or I simply wait to bring the NCE Power Cab back from France.

The AC-5 is now waiting on delivery of the replacement reed relay so it has been reboxed for protection. I am keeping my fingers crossed on this repair.

The last project of the day was to brush paint parts of the P-14 chassis. That at least went well! The Daylight colours have arrived so we know what comes next. But there is also the can motor upgrade to do and no reply from Precision yet on the Canon motor; perhaps a phone call tomorrow.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
A quick (<24 hour) response from Broadway Limited Imports was received last evening suggesting how to proceed with checking out the GS-4's drivetrain. The pilot needed to be removed as well as three screws (Doh!). The fault is definitely within the three gear "tower" gearbox, so I have asked what I need to to do next and can they supply the necessary parts, either to replace the gearbox or just the internal parts,. I see that this loco, like the AC-5 has a reed relay switch adjacent to the flywheel which explained why this loco chuffed even though the driving wheels weren't rotating.

And the Canon motors for the brass locos arrived this morning from Premier Components, so the next job there will be to design a brass bracket to fix the motor to the frame using the two screws provided that would normally be for attaching motor to gearbox.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Progress on the GS-4 with more help from Broadway Limited Imports:

GS4gear.jpeg

The loose gear on the driver axle is the problem as I thought (red arrow). Not only loose, it also slides from side to side. I have suggested that I now clean the axle and gear with degreaser and attempt to bond the two together with CA glue (Roket Max). If this works, no cost involved, otherwise I may just order the new parts. I checked the rest of the gearbox and it is OK.

The design and build of the chassis is actually better than I expected but this gear/axle combination lets the design down. I do prefer grub screws.

I expect to get a fourth email tomorrow advising me of their best solution and will then make a decision about using the CA glue option. Roket Max cures in 24 hours so the end of the week may see the Daylight running again.

- - - - - - -

The reed relay switches just arrived so it looks like I may also have the Cab Forward back in action soon. There are other decoder problems to be resolved with the E8s and they are keeping me busy. I wonder how many QSI Revolution decoders there are in the UK? I might have the only three!

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
A second change to the thread title this morning to reflect the consolidation of ideas which are formulating into a layout. In simpler times, let’s build a layout!

The first stage will be a simple, if quite long, shunting plank alongside the old SP double track main line west of downtown Houston. The location is immediately east of Eureka Junction hence the layout title. The era, steam to diesel transition around 1950. Main line tracks will be scenic rather than operational, but capable of diorama type scenes for photography. There will be no Hempstead Road alongside the tracks, following the prototype. Back drop scenery will include warehouses and light industry built either side of WWII, served by spurs from the pickup loop.

Future stage will depend on completion of the Riley Kestrel 9 project. It could be a circular or dumbbell design with storage for complete through trains.

The layout will be DCC Sound using mostly existing rolling stock. Track will be Peco code 75 for the main lines, Micro engineering Code 83 for the spurs, etc. The track selection is based on what I already have.

Two baseboards were ordered in July from Grainge and Hodder, they should arrive later this month. Their modular system is proven and I used it used several years ago. I could make my own but time is not on my side.

So the above posts demonstrate that I am in a period of “preparation” to begin the layout this autumn, working on it during the winter months.

(A comment on other projects - Moor Street is in France and now mostly scenic, meaning I only work on it when there. It is still my main project. Other model railway stuff I have will be disposed of, some donated to worthy causes.)

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The two closing down sale books from Linda Tucker Railway Books arrived today so I have done little modelling. The T&NO book is captivating with new photos I had not seen before, including the Sunbeam at night in a snow storm at Ennis, TX. The diesel book confirmed fears that T&NO never owned SD7s etc. Well, I like mine so Rule 1 will apply.

I also got confirmation this afternoon that I should glue the gear to the axle on my GS-4 and see how it goes but also consider an upgraded gearbox housing. I wait for the spares department to contact me on price and shipping time. I have degreased the axle to be repaired and will apply CA glue this evening. Then the simple task of re-assembly.

Once the GS-4 is off the repair list then the AC-5 seems the best choice for completion before I get stuck in to the QSI Revolution problems.

And finally, word from Grainge and Hodder that the baseboards are ready to ship.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The loose gear on the driver axle is the problem as I thought (red arrow). Not only loose, it also slides from side to side. I have suggested that I now clean the axle and gear with degreaser and attempt to bond the two together with CA glue (Roket Max). If this works, no cost involved, otherwise I may just order the new parts. I checked the rest of the gearbox and it is OK.

I'd be degreasing this lot and if the gear can be slid either left or right and there's enough space I'd try and knurl the axle with a suitable file edge before reassembly and bonding.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Great minds alike! Yes, just roughed up the axle, applied Max and already setting! Already a tight fit after 1 minute. I also checked the intermediate and worm gears and they are in good shape. So fingers crossed for tomorrow's assembly.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Update on the GS-4 repair. Broadway Limited are sending me a new, upgraded gearbox free plus shipping charge. This will have screws instead of clips which will be longer lasting. So the repair is on hold. I also found that I need better lighting to work on the all black parts, so a headlamp has been ordered.

I will say this about HO. After getting used to 1:43 scale O, it’s small!

The baseboard kits from Grainge and Hodder have arrived and been set aside for the Autumn. I need to check what is in the kit, though, as I think I will need some extra hardware and some bits may be lurking somewhere in the Railway Room.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I have two identical Proto 2000 EMD E8s in Daylight livery. Both have QSI Revolution DCC Sound decoders fitted by the same person in Calgary. I have renamed one 6053 to distinguish it from the other, 6052 as on the box.

Now they both work well, but 6053 has no speed control in reverse. It is either not moving or at full speed, even at first “notch”. Forward control seems perfect. How can this be? I imagine that is a rhetorical question on WT. Please, someone, prove me wrong and help solve my problem!

The one other loco that seems to be performing well is the Athearn Genesis MT-4, a class that never worked in Texas! The Tsunami sound file is a bit generic, but it works, so let it be. Alternatives to the MT-4 would be Heavy Pacifics and Mikados so I may need to keep looking for them on brasstrains.com. The brass imports are nearly always of the big engines, not so often the work a day ten wheelers, pacifics and mikados, so when they come up they soon disappear.

simond

Western Thunderer
Paul,

it has to be a decoder issue, I think. I presume you’ve done a reset?

Any chance of getting it reflashed, or getting access to whatever interface QSI use?

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Paul

As Simon says a full reset with CV8 set to 8 is the way forward if you ask me.

Do you have decoder pro ?

If you do it should be able to read it, I would use that to d the reset.

Richard

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Yes, but unfortunately the QSI reset didn’t work. About QSI, this is what I know. Since the decoders were installed QSI changed hands and the new owners do not support the older Revolution series. QSI also went out on a limb with a more complex CV architecture. To get inside the brains of a Revolution decoder there is a recommendation to use a programmer. I feel sure this had something to do with the complexity putting off buyers. I have heard of QSI offering extra protection for the sudden start up of a DCC loco on a layout, but the full speed backwards movement I have cannot be related to this.

Now, the cloud has a silver lining. I do have an unused decoder which I must have bought for the Union Pacific E9 but didn’t have installed. It has the right sound file loaded so could be used as a back up. And I have a complete working “go by” in the other SP E8 to guide the installation.

Each decoder cost C$169, so using the spare makes the most sense, particularly as I don’t travel to Canada anymore. But I will contact the shop in Calgary for confirmation of what we all think is the problem and if their decoder fitter has any other ideas. Once the duff decoder is out it could be sent to Calgary, but more likely thrown away!

I should add that the QSI sound file is excellent, so replacement with another brand might give disappointing results anyway.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I have sent an email to Trains and Such in Calgary, they promise a reply in 48 hours. So, on to something else! There is a very nice F Class 2-10-2 for sale which would be perfect for long drag freights through Eureka Heights. It is just too much for my budget at the moment and it would need DCC sound adding. Another one will come along presently! Right now there are a few repairs to be made to various pieces of rolling stock. I don't think this is in any way a reflection of the quality of what I have bought in the past, it is possibly related to storage and moving around the globe.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I have started to read through various DCC manufacturers' technical books online and I am beginning to understand how CVs can be modified logically (i.e. in "bits"). This caused me to ponder the need to replace the reed relay switch on the BLI AC-5 Cab Forward. All I have to do (he writes with great belief in what he's writing) is turn off the CV that looks for a cam switch and then experiment with chuff rates and chuff slips and their various CV values. So before I do any soldering of reed relays, I am going to try this. If it works then I might delve deeper into the world of DCC customization.

It looks as though future decoders bought in the UK will probably be Soundtraxx Tsunamis as these are available from Digitrains in Lincoln with the correct sound files. I have become a fan of Zimo decoders for O Gauge but it looks like Tsunami is the way forward for North American HO. Any other opinions out there?

PhilH

Western Thunderer
It looks as though future decoders bought in the UK will probably be Soundtraxx Tsunamis as these are available from Digitrains in Lincoln with the correct sound files. I have become a fan of Zimo decoders for O Gauge but it looks like Tsunami is the way forward for North American HO. Any other opinions out there?

I always use Zimo for British and Soundtraxx for American. I did try a couple of ESU before Soundtraxx did the higher amp versions but for some reason (I forget exactly what) I preferred the Soundtraxx and replaced them with higher amp Soundtraxx when they became available.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer

From my experience (and this was a several years ago) I shied away from Soundtraxx Tsunamis as I could not fine tune the motor control CVs to get the locos to creep in the same way as ESU or Zimo - things may have changed since. However, the Soundtraxx Tsunami sound profiles are good.

As a result I use ESU for my North American, British and European O and HO as my main prioity is the running quality over sound. Having an ESU Lokprogrammer helps and ESU have a large number of free sound file downloads for North American and European prototypes.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Thanks, Phil, for your experiences, obviously we are on a similar track!

I have been going through the Tsunami Technical Reference guide (downloadable as a pdf) and things are beginning to make sense with the adding up of bits. So far I haven't heard a chuff from the AC-5 which is beginning to be a concern. It's probably something very simple and obvious, so I keep trying things out.

Just back from the work bench with an interesting discovery. Using a separate magnet and bringing it close to the reed relay switch I got a chuff. In fact I got several by moving the magnet to and from the switch but only while the motor was running. So the original reed relay does work, perhaps the flywheel magnet has in fact lost soits strength.

An email to Broadway Limited suggested moving the reed switch closer to the flywheel but this didn’t work. They also suggested switching off the cam and switching on the Decoder’s relevant CVS to govern chuff rate. Unfortunately they gave me the CVS for a later version of the model so I have asked if I can do this with the “Blueline” version of the model I have. All very complicated but worth pursuing.

Dave, your comments are welcome indeed. I may be biased against ESU from prior uses so will stick with Soundtraxx for the time being.

This afternoon I connected up the Canon motor to the P-14 chassis using a nylon rod coupling with one 2mm hole for the motor shaft and one 2.5mm hole for the gearbox shaft, all turned on my mini lathe.

819746B7-EC00-4093-9EE9-1C0512ABC156.jpeg

The motor is attached with heavy black double sided tape. The drive train is noisy but runs well across the speed range. A little adjustment to the valve gear was necessary. And I oiled up the gearbox and the sprung axle bearings so some running in should improve the noise. Now this works I will make a similar coupling for the S-12 switcher.