HO Eureka Heights (SP) Houston

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I have been doing more research on the area of northwest Houston, using old maps and the history option on Google Earth. Houston grew rapidly after WWII and much of the development outside today's Loop 610 wasn't there prior to c.1955. Neither was Loop 610. It is interesting how these days everything is referenced with respect to the interstate system. But having had my feet on the ground, so to speak, it is relatively easy to work out what has been redeveloped and therefore what might have been there before.

The development of the railroads show a fascinating movement away from the old centre of the city along the arterial roads that were often parallel to the even older railroads. Pre-WWII the railroads were still in open country and much of the development avoided them, so eventually light industry moved out along the roads and used the railroad for transporting materials and goods. It is these sidings that provide the operational interest. The only problem is that I have discovered that the sidings migrated out away from the city centre. So in 1953 there was no development outside the Loop 610 and therefore no sidings. These were located closer to the city and there is evidence of a few siding still in existence.

A very good reference point is Eureka Junction. This was built on the outskirts of the city and the junction started out with the predecessors of the T&NO, plus the MKT. I suppose all of it is now under UP ownership with few rights to the other remaining railroad, BNSF.

I hope Google Earth allows screenshots for sharing research, but I will edit these out if not:

First Today's image:

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 7.14.22 PM.png

And back to 1953.

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 7.13.48 PM.png

Eureka Junction is in the centre and in the 1953 image the two arterial roads to Hempstead and Katy can be identified. The old MKT (Katy) is no longer there today, having been replaced in the widening of the freeway in 2004.

Here is a 3D view of Eureka Junction today, looking more or less south:

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 12.12.21 PM.png

It looks as though Hempstead Road is a working title, but Eureka Heights (the name of the area to the north) might be better. I should explain that an area in Houston slightly higher than its surroundings often has the Heights appendage. Real estate talk for "it doesn't flood here".

Because Houston developed so rapidly, it is difficult to work out exactly what was there at the time of the steam/diesel transition. However, the Google 1953 air photos can be a very good "go by". So that's what can be used, with the layout based on sidings farther to the east, closer to Downtown.

When I went on a UP heritage excursion back in the 1990s, the train (E8s plus heritage rolling stock) started at Eureka Yard (east of Eureka Junction shown on the east of the two now and then maps), backed out of the yard on to the MKT line and then forward toward Eureka Junction, passing slowly through due west to the north side of I-10 (Katy Freeway) on its way to La Grange and Smithville. Most of the MKT is now gone, just the bit between Eureka Junction and Eureka Yard. The section between Eureka Yard and Downtown was considered dangerous with the trains passing very close to housing, so UP closed it down after a derailment. The Katy Freeway portion was "needed" by the freeway expansion though it might have been a good site for a metro line. However, people don't do trains in Houston any more and expansion of the Metro's Line 1 has been stalled for years.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I just paid the import charges on the P-14 streamlined Sunbeam pacific. Delivery now anticipated for Monday. There’s no point in being impatient but at least it’s here in Hampshire. I expect it to look good in front of the Daylight coaches which I showed earlier. however it is in unpainted condition, but imagination can work its magic.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Yesterday I opened the box of my Athearn Genesis MT-4 4-8-2. I bought it in 2011 while in Canada and have never run it. It has DCC Sound so must wait for a controller and track before being tested, but just looking at it, what a fine model.

Now there are two problems with the appearance of this loco in Texas. MTs only worked west of San Antonio and the tender marking says Southern Pacific Lines, meaning basically a pre war livery. The latter can be changed easily enough, I may even have the necessary decals with me. But the history of the MT-4 class notes that some still carried the “Lines” name way beyond the livery change. Rule 1 will have to apply for its presence in Houston. It’s not that much bigger than a Mikado so I don’t think most will complain!

The class was designed for heavy freight and mail trains and 40mph was the design requirement from San Francisco HQ. However, the locos also proved their worth on fast passenger trains such as the San Joaquin Daylight and ended their days on commuter trains with rapid acceleration between numerous stops. A versatile design indeed. Airline casing was added to a few for the Daylight services but my model doesn’t have it fitted. All the more reason for it being sent to Texas in the early 1950s!

A few photos to show the detail of these models:

BD26512A-4E42-4060-BD66-7E529277C48E.jpeg

B2C2C916-00E1-45B3-A007-D355933E2FBF.jpeg
43918096-E4C0-449E-A0DF-4BBE8311D2BF.jpeg

18A67296-950A-45EA-9050-7B2966F94ABF.jpeg

CFF5C74A-352D-4EB8-8671-EA0ABB7892FB.jpeg

Last edited:

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Yesterday I opened the box of my Athearn Genesis MT-4 4-8-2. I bought it in 2011 while in Canada and have never run it. It has DCC Sound so must wait for a controller and track before being tested, but just looking at it, what a fine model.
certainly is a cracking model. I have still got one of the Spectrum Light Mountains, which I think was a generic URSA design. I missed out on the SP version, so perchased the Missouri Pacific versions pretty cheap and married it with the Spectrum Hicken tender. Looked pretty good with the seven Walther ‘Lark’ heavyweights in tow though.

I think if there had been more decent SP HO when I started dabbling in it (about 2002), I’d probably dived deeper into collectiNg it, but alas it wasn’t to be.

cheers,

Stephen

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The Postie arrived early this morning and this is what he brought:

833F2008-9A05-4A8C-A2CA-50E9491FF2BC.jpeg

Southern Pacific Class P-14, streamlined in 1937 from a standard P-6 and used to pull the Sunbeam daily between Houston and Dallas. Replaced by Alco PAs in 1952, subsequently used on secondary passenger trains until scrapped.

Yet to test run but appears to be complete with paperwork, headlamp etc.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Doing some research on trainorders.com today I came across a few photos of an Amtrak era train from Houston using the MKT at Eureka Junction. What these show is that the MKT then crossed the Hempstead Road SP line by a simple diamond crossing. A comment notes that this crossing was at one time controlled from a Tower. I have been looking for my photos of the SP Flatonia Tower which has been preserved. No luck so far.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Buying used HO brass locos is a bit of a lottery. Have they even been used? Have they been abused? Brasstrains.com do have a very good rating mechanism on their website but even so the end valuation can be quite wide ranging. I do like Cab Forwards, or Cab in Fronts to give them the SP preferred name, so often check for what’s available. AC-12s currently range from >$2k down to $750. The latter example is factory painted and looks very good. The thing is, you really have to check the photos. I already have an AC-5 so this is a bit of a red herring, but necessary advice for a good purchase. Remember, the more you pay, the higher the import duty! If you are handy at repairing a brass loco, there are always a few bargains.

Having the right reference books can be a valuable asset. I used to have a copy of the Brass Guide but it’s disappeared and anyway would now be out of date. Nonetheless, it can point out why some locos are better than others.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Yes, it seemed to be riding high so a small adjustment and it now sits on the rails. When I give it some volts we’ll see if I did enough adjustment. I spent some time this evening with a fibreglass brush, it is cleaning up nicely. Tarnish seems to be a problem “over there” which implies they don’t want to get their hands dirty!

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
This morning I tested the P-14 Sunbeam loco and it runs well. However the “flexible” coupling between motor and gearbox was slipping, suggesting the ?rubber has perished where in contact with the motor shaft. I have seen this before on my Balboa GS-4, so not a problem. In fact the drive looks like it hasn’t been used much. Several screws loose but they are now tightened.

Some photos of the chassis:

AD71462A-3307-41E0-9F8F-9351B998DC1C.jpeg

5F23707C-BA46-412F-B3A8-DED8DF68A0C0.jpeg

57A4860D-6BFA-44F2-9897-D738030644FA.jpeg

18E69F74-E4D7-4340-AA1C-EE811AEEC8B9.jpeg

Meantime the loco body has been through a first pass on tarnish removal:

49861411-24AB-4196-81E4-51DBA817EEA4.jpeg

7E37801E-313B-48D3-B73B-C5480A382C60.jpeg

ED4260F9-B554-44BE-BE25-54E5B7045019.jpeg
Just some detailed cleaning left. It is in good condition, no repairs necessary.

On the chassis there really is no need to upgrade the motor to a can design as in all probability the loco will only be seen at speed, passing through the layout. But that is always an option. Painting is more of a priority!

Last edited:

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Doing some research on trainorders.com today I came across a few photos of an Amtrak era train from Houston using the MKT at Eureka Junction. What these show is that the MKT then crossed the Hempstead Road SP line by a simple diamond crossing. A comment notes that this crossing was at one time controlled from a Tower. I have been looking for my photos of the SP Flatonia Tower which has been preserved. No luck so far.
Paul,
A simple google search for "SP Flatonia Tower" brings up at least a dozen different pictures, old and modern and a very useful website.

here and definitely visit here

Rob

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Thanks, Rob, what I wrote was I can’t find my photos of the tower! I remember taking them as we had made a detour from I-10 to do so. They must be in slides that I have yet to scan.

Thanks, Paul

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
what I wrote was I can’t find my photos of the tower

Specsavers booked....

Please do not worry chaps, if you cannot see (aka "find") something then Tony is likely to be able to help... as here. The context of the quotes is my ability to not find Colin's rabbit even when Dave Summers told me where to look :(
Still struggling.

Admittedly it was only a fleeting glimpse but I fail to see how you could possibly have missed it.
A pigeon flies past right afterwards.

Tell you what - here's a screen grab:

View attachment 167993
regards, Graham

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Actually, Rob, I am the one who needs Specsavers, I am finding HO quite difficult these days. And the reason I took up 7mm for Moor Street was just that, OO gauge was proving difficult.

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Next, the tender. While cleaning it I broke off a rear ladder but that is fixed and I am pleased to see that the tank interior is huge, big enough for DCC and several speakers! There is also room for a speaker in the boiler.

Like all brass locos of a certain vintage, the pickups are American, one side from the loco’s wheels, the other from the tender. Wiring for DCC is not difficult, my first ever was an original Royal Scot with split chassis. Not easy but not impossible. Just remember to insulate the motor and the electronics from the brass on each component. The open motor could be a problem with the P-14 so I will keep a 4mm scale can motor in reserve, just in case.

The T&NO didn’t expect the P-14s to need a helper, so no front coupler was used. The tender will need one, but my stash of Kadees should provide one that will fit. There is also no provision for a headlamp on the rear of the tender. The smokebox headlamp was included in the box and may be suitable for DCC. It should have a simple but very bright light. No Mars lamp was provided.

920C5B26-DD68-4B99-81F1-F36215724E84.jpeg

32D16E09-7B68-46FB-BAAD-40FD16BF0EFC.jpeg

6152CFC5-4B2C-4601-B282-1CC9D13BEF24.jpeg

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I visited Alton Model Centre this morning. Paul, the owner, has built up an excellent stock of supplies for "people like us" though of course nearly every model train is either OO or N (there are also a few Gauge O RTR as well). Despite having an excellent range of paints (I invested heavily in Howes spray enamels) he still suggested I contact Zero for matching the Daylight red and orange for the P-14.

The plan for the P-14 is to at least spray etch primer and black on the brass and for this I bought Howes etch primer as it may have a finer formulation than car sprays. Something to test in the days ahead.

And I also bought 6 yards of Code 75 OO/HO track. Progress!

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
If you're not adverse to using acrylics - Model Railroad Hobbyist's Joe Fugate produced this guide for the best match for the old Floquil Railroad colours.

Attachments

• MRH-Acrylic-painting-guide-post-Floquil-Landscape.pdf
    6.9 MB · Views: 12

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Paul at Alton Model Centre thought about Floquil and looked up when the range ceased to exist. 2015!

If I can put acrylic paint on Howes enamel that could work. Thanks.

Most of the P-14 has now been primed. Just started to rain as well.