4mm I'm contemplating modelling GWR, any pointers?

allegheny1600

Western Thunderer
Hi Everyone,
As the title says, really. To qualify, I'm really a H0 Continental and American outline modeller who has had an interest in British outline H0 scale for many years. Although I have amassed a reasonable collection of assorted UK H0 models, including a small layout based on Watlington, I haven't made enough progress with it to justify putting it on here yet.
I'm being seduced by the forthcoming new generations of British outline 00 gauge models, such that I have actually ordered and paid for something that is "due soon".
On the other hand, I have made plans for and built the baseboards for, a Prussian BLT. One of the principle features of this is that the BLT basically terminates at a turntable, it's best if I illustrate this with my trackplan.
21467538612_33f2ac41ac_c.jpgPrussian H0 Quarry MetricB by Allegheny1633, on Flickr
Please excuse the German text!
Now, I can alter the actual track layout to more or less anything BUT the hole for the turntable is already cut out and the table is more or less ready to go in.
Is there any way, anyone knows, that I could use this as a basis for any kind of GWR BLT, please?
I've never heard of such a thing but I'm not that familiar with much of the system in the UK.
I appreciate it may be best to start over but I thought I'd ask first.
Many thanks,
John

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
I wasn't sure at first if this was a plea for a cure or just advice! There were a number of termini in the UK where the platform line(s) ended in a turntable but non of them were on the GWR. Also the turntable as drawn is far too big as those few branch line termini that had a turntable rarely had one that was more than about 40feet in diameter. I suspect it's too big even for a Prussian layout!

My advice, for what it's worth, is fill in the hole and start again. Read as many books on GWR branch lines as you can get your hands on – or the online equivalent – and good luck. British HO is very thin on the ground – do you mean 00?

Watlington is an interesting subject for which there is a fair amount of information available. Not a lot happened there though...

allegheny1600

Western Thunderer
Hi Wagonman,
Yes, a plea for advice really. Although a cure may be useful too! Thanks for your comments, I will follow your sound advice.
My turntable is actually a modified Fleischmann one that is 183mm across the table. My sketch above is probably out of scale, I had to just draw my own circle to create the table.
Now in 4mm (00 scale) this works out as 45'9" so yes! It is a little large. This make it even bigger in H0 at a scale 52'3½" or so, oops! As you say, quite large.
My layout "Watlington" (purchased many years ago from one M. Scarrow) really IS H0 scale and in addition to the usual Lima & Fleischmann RTR items, I have a GWR 57XX to build and an ex Taff Vale 0-6-0 to finish and paint.
It's the advent of quite fine looking 00 models that is causing me sleepless nights.
I should either give up or start over again, I think!
John.

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
John

British HO does exist but as very much a minority sport! How hard do you want to make your life? How important to you is it to have the correct scale:gauge ratio. In that respect OO is pretty awful – OO used for Irish trains looks frankly ludicrous. P4 looks great but it is more work. EM is a reasonable compromise. IMHO I should probably add...

The decision has to be yours but any help you need with background etc is here for the asking.

Richard

Last edited:

John TAYLOR

Western Thunderer
Well if it wer` eye`........:)

I would sell or your British 00 gauge and strongly consider British 7mm O guage as there are many
reasonably priced quality GWR RTR locos available and more in the `offing ,which far outweigh the poor running qualities of 4mm RTR chassis design........................................................................................................................

...................and now is the time......:drool:

john

simond

Western Thunderer
Id have to concur with at least considering 7mm. You'd need to be very selective given your space isn't huge, but I'm sure you could run short trains from your FY to a small terminus.

There's a very significant range of RTR stock, and an even greater range of kits, plus lovely laser cut building kits, and a huge range of accessories.

Track can be peco flexible or made to measure

Come on in, the water's lovely...

Best
Simon

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
John

O gauge is changing dramatically with the availability of RTR stuff though coaches are still an issue. A lot of people move up to 7mm because of the extra detail that can be incorporated. If getting the details right is your thing, then I would also suggest you look at Scaleseven which will allow you to create very convincing trackwork which, in my view, does give improved running.

Whatever you do, good luck.

You have chosen GWR but remember, other railways are available.

John

Stoke5D

Western Thunderer
I suppose an obvious suggestion would be to go to your favourite second hand book seller and get the set of three WSP books on Great Western Railway Branch Line Modelling - certainly helpful if you are starting from scratch.

Andrew

allegheny1600

Western Thunderer
Hi Guys,
Many thanks for all the suggestions, I will look out for the three WSP books as they certainly look interesting.
I have done 7mm, thanks to all who suggested it but I gave the senior scale up a while back! I've still got some bits left to sell, it would be most irritating to the authorities were I to do an about turn now.
I do happen to love H0 scale, I find it just the right size for me, I can see the details well enough and I love having the correct scale to gauge combination so, I will stick with it.
I forgot to mention, I do also have an S100 (USA/SR Dock tank!) and an S160 in H0 scale too, not very appropriate for a Western BLT but it is more variety at least!
Cheers,
John.

PS I WILL introduce you all to my version of "Watlington" in H0 scale, in due course!

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hi Everyone,
As the title says, really. To qualify, I'm really a H0 Continental and American outline modeller who has had an interest in British outline H0 scale for many years. Although I have amassed a reasonable collection of assorted UK H0 models, including a small layout based on Watlington, I haven't made enough progress with it to justify putting it on here yet.
I'm being seduced by the forthcoming new generations of British outline 00 gauge models, such that I have actually ordered and paid for something that is "due soon".
On the other hand, I have made plans for and built the baseboards for, a Prussian BLT. One of the principle features of this is that the BLT basically terminates at a turntable, it's best if I illustrate this with my trackplan.
21467538612_33f2ac41ac_c.jpgPrussian H0 Quarry MetricB by Allegheny1633, on Flickr
Please excuse the German text!
Now, I can alter the actual track layout to more or less anything BUT the hole for the turntable is already cut out and the table is more or less ready to go in.
Is there any way, anyone knows, that I could use this as a basis for any kind of GWR BLT, please?
I've never heard of such a thing but I'm not that familiar with much of the system in the UK.
I appreciate it may be best to start over but I thought I'd ask first.
Many thanks,
John

Hi John

Apologies for being late to the party, but in an answer to your quest for a GWR BLT with a turntable at the end, would this do Disused Stations: Birkenhead Monks Ferry Station

Built in the early days of the railway, it was superseded by the joint GWR/LNWR Birkenhead Woodside station as the three platforms of the former were soon outgrown by demand for more services.

No doubt, the turntable would have been of the smaller diameter say 42 feet or so due to the smaller dimensions of early locomotives, but I'm sure that in later years it would have been replaced by a larger diameter version in accordance with later designs. Perhaps they'd even have replaced it with a sector table a la Birmingham Snow Hill or Moore Street(?). Either way, the postage stamp proportions of the station site would have been too small to accommodate a run round loop.

From one Railroader to another, I hope this provides food for thought.

Jonte

Boxbrownie

Western Thunderer
I suppose an obvious suggestion would be to go to your favourite second hand book seller and get the set of three WSP books on Great Western Railway Branch Line Modelling - certainly helpful if you are starting from scratch.

Andrew
Ouch!!! Took your advice and looked on Amazon......Part 1 new from £120......mind you it is from Florida :))

I want to build a layout for that......

allegheny1600

Western Thunderer
Oh dear!
Hopefully, other booksellers are available! I don't mind secondhand when it comes to books, as long as everything is there.
Of course, I could get near two years membership of my old society for that and borrow from their library.
Cheers,
John.

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
I may be wrong, but I think very few branches ended with a turntable in that fashion. How about concealing the turntable etc with a road bridge and scenic break. Then it could serve as an extra fiddle yard.