4mm I'm contemplating modelling GWR, any pointers?

allegheny1600

Western Thunderer
I think that for anything British, the plan above is a non starter.
Not to worry, I will press ahead with the Prussian plan, my mojo for that is returning and the seductive thoughts I had over some pretty (and quality) RTR Western engines has dissipated.
Sorry to disappoint but many, many thanks indeed for the advice, everyone.
John.

allegheny1600

Western Thunderer
Hi Geoff,
Already done that!!!
When I first felt the urge to go German over ten years ago, I liked the green liveried K. Bay stuff and started collecting that with a view to building a layout. As you say, it seems like the equivalent to the GWR both in Germany and here. Also, I took a long time to get used to the black over red of regular German steam however when I did, I found it was the Prussian designs I liked best.
My collection of former Prussian designs grew but it was a unmissable purchase of a very cheap actual Prussian model that got me started. I actually thought that I would steal the sound decoder from this loco but when it came down to it, it is so pretty that I just fell for it.
I can't bear to part with my Bavarian stock though so it will see outings on the Prussian layout.
Cheers,
John.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
K. Bay st B instead, that seems to be the German equivalent of the GWR

I think this also because two of the three big manufacturers were based in Bayern - namely Fleischmann and Trix in Nürnberg; with Märklin next door in Baden-Württemberg.

And the scenery is more spectacular in Bayern as opposed to Preußen dominated Norddeutschland. Then there is, of course, the Königlich Sächsische Staatseisenbahnen.