In and Out Buildings - Thoughts and Research

simond

Western Thunderer
There was a school dance, the boys were lined on one side and the girls on the other, all very shy. As the music began, the physics master noted that as each song played the pupils moved half the distance towards one another, and remarked that at this rate they would never meet. The maths master suggested that they would meet but in an infinite number of songs. The biology master responded that by the time the next song was over, they would be close enough for all practical purposes...

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The specification for a log cabin base suggests a thickness of 100mm concrete with DPM but no reinforcement. As this log cabin will be a garage and perhaps one day have a four post lift installed, we decided on 150mm R35 concrete and mesh reinforcement. The additional cost is worth it.

I have a delivery window for the custom designed structure during the weeks of July 5 - 16 with construction to begin a few days after delivery. The only work I have to do will be the timber treatment and painting. This will probably take about a week of good weather. The interior will be treated with painting an option for later, the exterior will match the gazebo.

The pathway up to the garage door will be a simple, somewhat rustic design, using large load bearing beams of 150 x 150 mm treated lumber buried in gravel with weed barrier and treated decking on top. As the Kestrel is going to be renovated in the months ahead this part of the project can wait a while. The pathway will not be straight but wind its way between the existing vegetation. Drainage in front of the garage door will be provided and water butts will be fitted to the guttering downpipes. 30 square meters of roof should yield a good saving on tap water for the nearby fruit cage.

The latter will eventually be rebuilt as the birds seem to find entry points as soon as red fruit can be seen! Another nod to future old age will be using staging from the demolished greenhouse to grow waist high strawberry plants! Why bend down when you don’t need to?

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Well, the great pour occurred this morning. Rain and concrete both. We had to leave on family business as noted above but stayed long enough to photograph the setting up and first pour. The motor house slab was done first because it will be finished smooth whereas the terracing elsewhere will be lift rough.

The concrete pump arrived first:

596EE5DF-8627-46DE-A4D9-AC13257E73AE.jpeg

A46F2C4C-23CD-406E-AB7A-DBF014B7518A.jpeg

Then came the first concrete mixer truck, holding just enough for the motor house foundation:

0B51272C-BD1E-4D80-B17D-92B7F91A31DD.jpeg

And the pumping began:

FB104F7A-4049-4716-82DF-9D8C46047125.jpeg

3DC764DF-AF61-4F7B-BC77-9DEC05D0989B.jpeg

Before we had to leave, plastic sheeting was placed over the slab as the rain continued to pour. More photos tomorrow!

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Update on KEOPS delivery.

Looks like the delivery will be in the window July 7-9 With erection the following week. A chat with the office confirmed we are on schedule. They have asked for photos of the site access and also where the kit package will be unloaded in relationship to the actual foundation. All very professional.

My conclusion so far, with fingers crossed, is that you get what you pay for these days. Choose the right supplier which may cost more and you shouldn’t be disappointed. Go for the apparent “best” deal and stress levels start to rise!

I’ll be on hand with camera to record the delivery and erection. Then it will be up to me to apply the Cuprinol and Sadolin.

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Tim, that looks to be a very useful range of preservatives and finishes, thanks for adding this company to the thread. I guess I am already committed to Sadolin to maintain consistency across the five outbuildings but it is alway good to know about options.

thanks, Paul

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
We have used Barratine products on the New Top Shed, very pleased.

Last time that we bought some the local Tool Station offered significant savings over buying from Barratine direct.

Rob R

Western Thunderer
I'm still trying to work out how he is going to get a Kestrel to perch on that flipping big lump of concrete for two weeks.
Maybe it will be doing a Norwegian Blue impression...

R

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
KEOPS have sent me the delivery and construction dates. Friday July 16th should see a grand opening of the up and over door to the new Motor House. It will have been an interesting journey so far, the next phase will be preserving and painting the building and then kitting it out.

I finally took delivery of a new 50 litre air compressor yesterday. It’s the SGS one described earlier in this thread. A good saving was achieved by waiting for the price to come down (for just 24 hours!).

Paul

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The huge artic showed up yesterday and two large packages of timber wrapped in heavy plastic were trundled up the cul de sac using a Moffett. Then the metal door, which proved to be more difficult as it was not wrapped in any protection. But all was done and laid to rest in the front garden waiting for the construction team next Thursday. The guttering and roof shingles should also be on their way.

I have to say that dealing with KEOPS Interlock has been very pleasant and hopefully this will continue through the construction phase.

This is what the front garden looks like.

EB7121FA-D8E6-470B-8B52-2D0169B790D4.jpeg

One observation, if you are going to do this much work, start at the furthest point from the front entrance and do that bit last!

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Well, the building was constructed last Thursday and Friday by a team of two men trained to work with the kits. This included carrying the timber across the garden, laying it out then building the interlocking beams using only mallets. The weight of the building keeps it stable. As I had ordered double glazing, this had to be fitted to the doors and windows as well. The roof went up on Friday morning with heavy duty shingles. Then the fitting of doors, including the up and over door.

With perfect weather the urge is on to add the preservative inside and out, using Cuprinol 5 star. This was completed on Saturday so painting of the exterior two coats can begin after the recommended two days minimum.

To say we are well pleased would be an understatement! The design, workmanship and pleasant demeanour of all the staff has been “amazing”.

Because of the rush to add paint I will wait for further photos and reviews but here is a teaser, laid out logs ready to be installed on the base.

20EA7D06-E153-48D6-A3C1-A7F895BEA6E1.jpeg

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Last week was a hot and frenzied time getting as much preservative and paint on the building.

The Cuprinol 5 star has been applied outside and in. That job has been logged in on the sheets of paper KEOPS provides for recording all preservation and maintenance of the structure.

in addition, the first coat of Superdec Jungle Green has been applied to the exterior. Special attention has been given to all end grain logs as well as getting paint between the logs where possible. Superdec provides an elastic but breathable coating which needs to dry and cure before the second coat can be applied.

This work was finished on Friday afternoon, a week after the structure was erected and handed over. Saturday’s rain put paid to any painting and a rest which was much needed.

The next stage will be the second coat, then the trim paint will be applied, using a near black Superdec Obsidian. Two coats here as well. This will complete the initial painting. Other work will include adding internal cabinets, shelving and, in November, electricity.

Now some photos, as promised, of the construction phase.

The lower walls
9F0365B8-0321-4012-A871-90360D0E715D.jpeg

Adding windows
996985E3-61E2-4E6B-B974-4702D0E94E80.jpeg

Starting on the roof
2EF2BAFD-D67D-46F5-9882-59ADC6A64B5F.jpeg A5FA8967-E55A-4712-8B2B-42B3DB6ACF4F.jpeg

The rear wall
16E99A7D-8DAD-4F0B-913A-2DA3DA363A3A.jpeg

wall with two tall, narrow windows
E160519A-FA96-4E18-9DD4-7A7473170D6E.jpeg

the gable with opening for garage door
2870B885-A7BE-40C7-8376-1D2EBA90800F.jpeg

Adding the tongue and groove roof boards
8BEF7ED8-3F5B-424F-A597-BF6227BBC43A.jpeg

View of the workshop side of the building
6C0C0CAC-81A8-4405-BD42-04B6EBEF0771.jpeg

Now the roof shingles, each pack weighs 27 kilos
CABB93C9-7B56-4488-AADA-E89508583A03.jpeg

Attachments

• 065C3E3B-7618-4B99-A069-39E83CE9C0B7.jpeg
    065C3E3B-7618-4B99-A069-39E83CE9C0B7.jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 8B3C9B1C-C404-4255-85A0-78DBB786DB40.jpeg
    8B3C9B1C-C404-4255-85A0-78DBB786DB40.jpeg
    427.5 KB · Views: 12

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Notes on the construction:

The structure sits on a 50mm base of pressure treated lumber. This is later removed at the garage door opening.

The machined pine “logs” are fitted using a mallet with no screws used at all.

The whole structure is not pinned to the foundation but uses it’s own considerable weight to stay put. This is also a planning requirement, apparently.

Screws are used to add barge boards and so on, as well as the tongue and grooved roof boards. Windows are slotted in and are free to move as the wood shrinks. Typically the shrinkage is vertical and added features like conduit should be fixed at one end only.

I chose more expensive roofing material with a longer life warranty. I also opted for double glazing as an extra.

The company has full instructions for maintenance on its website. They seem to have thought of everything!

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Great building Paul, glad to see that in photo 2 of the roof works, there is still a use for the size 13 boot persuader in all of the modern erection applications:):):):)

regards

Mike