7mm Inspection Saloon DW80975

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

I will be embarking on the slow build of the Orion kit of this saloon

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23256063@N02/4396184014/in/photolist-7GtAm7-9HGwZj

at some time in the future, in this livery.

The one (four) thing(s) that do not appear in any BR (WR) version photographs of this particular vehicle is (are) air horns - does anybody have any evidence of any fitted to 80975? I know that Swindon put air horns in funny places sometimes - as an example, KDW150266 - the S&T Inspection Saloon, has them below the buffer beam.

Any other photos of 80975 in this livery would also be welcomed if anybody has any, they seem to be thin on the ground on both Flickr and Departmentals.com

cheers

Mike

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
What im looking for is a picture of a western pulling a blue/grey inspection saloon. Then i can fully justify having one and i will know exactly which diagram it would be.:thumbs:

So if anyone whilst searching piccies comes accross one please post on here:D

I will be watching this build Mike:thumbs:

Rob:)

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

I have also been looking for such a picture, so if you come across one, I'd like to see it. I was looking on t'net this morning and came across a Peak pulling on of the ex LMS saloons and a comment from a previous viewer was that it was a first as far as he was concerned, so we may get lucky with a hydraulic puller/pusher.

As a matter of interest, which diagram would it be - a very limited choice of two if you stay with ex GWR/BR(WR) options.

cheers

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Phill,

that is the Diag 1/552 Inspection Saloon that EasyBuild have just brought out. Thanks for posting the link, I'll look at it in length tomorrow - just off to the Club

cheers

Mike

demu1037

Western Thunderer
The one (four) thing(s) that do not appear in any BR (WR) version photographs of this particular vehicle is (are) air horns - does anybody have any evidence of any fitted to 80975? I know that Swindon put air horns in funny places sometimes - as an example, KDW150266 - the S&T Inspection Saloon, has them below the buffer beam.

Mike

Mike,

The horns are in the solebar channel!! - Silly question #1 - as its not air piped (unlike the one in the pic at Llangollen) , where would the air come from?

Andy

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Andy,

many thanks for pointing that location out, a neat solution.

I think that there must be an air pipe lurking there somewhere, as on KDW150266, there is wording above the coupling which reads - "Air supply to warning horns connect to loco air supply" (all of these 'labels' have been done for me by Precision Decals for the S&T saloon) - but there is no evidence of similar wording on DW80975 - pre HSE?:))

cheers

Mike

demu1037

Western Thunderer
I think that there must be an air pipe lurking there somewhere, as on KDW150266, there is wording above the coupling which reads - "Air supply to warning horns connect to loco air supply" (all of these 'labels' have been done for me by Precision Decals for the S&T saloon) - but there is no evidence of similar wording on DW80975 - pre HSE?:))

Mike

Hi Mike,
I'm not sure, I cant/havent seen one (wheras on 150266 it can be seen tucked under the vac pipe). I have got som pics of 80975 at Old Oak when just withdrawn, complete with ScR blue stripe (blue paint from Woollies over the IC red - another story!). I'l dig them out to see if they help. Meanwhile - it will look something like this

orion 3.jpgorion 2.jpg
Regards

Andy

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Andy,

nice model. Is the lower panel 'light grey' or white?

I have heard the 'ScotRail' blue story - case for another model? I've got a spare set of 'ScotRail' transfers from DM45020 to use up some time. I'd like to see your OOC photos, I have seen one on Flickr or Departmentals.com with the blue stripe albeit without any 'ScotRail' branding.

I think I'll work on the tack of including the airhorns and hope that a solution to the air supply comes along by the time that I need it, otherwise I'll leave things alone.

regards

Mike

demu1037

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike,

Not as helpful as i'd hoped, like the one on dept.com, heavy shadows on one bufferbeam area (more so - mine were taken in the morning) and the other has a bufferstop in the way - typical!

80975-2.jpg80975.jpg

I'll keep a eye out for any more info.

Regards,

Andy

PS - i think the model was done in Railmatch IC grey - but it was 20 years ago so not sure.

demu1037

Western Thunderer
Mike

Some interior shots of 80972 as restored, as previous comment, i cant belive they went to the expense of making the curtians like that for fun! and the lining is what shows.

IMG_3074a.JPG

IMG_3075a.JPG

Regards
Andy

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Andy,

many thanks for that info. Fortunately, for me, that in the period/livery I am doing and more importantly, the photos bear it out, the curtains were plain orange - inside and out (as in your shot of it at OOC above). I'm more concerned about the upholstery material though as it seems to be the same as KDW150266 - as restored, perhaps the conservationists clubbed together and bought a job lot (I hope)

cheers

Mike