7mm James' O gauge workbench thread

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
These are pictures of the OTA from Skog and 3d printed kits.

I have built 2 and have 3 more to build covering different varieties of the OTA.

Some the parts:

IMG_20210319_191623 by James Hockley, on Flickr

Here is the end, you can see the texture of the 3d print.

IMG_20210320_194344 by James Hockley, on Flickr

As I was not a fan of this made some thin plasticard overlays.

IMG_20210919_180708 by James Hockley, on Flickr

Under frame details is sparse, but Rob the designer as now produced some brake gear that I am jet to fit.

IMG_20210320_185115 by James Hockley, on Flickr

Complete wagon prior to weathering:

IMG_20210818_224621 by James Hockley, on Flickr

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
I like the Skog kits, they go together quickly and easily (maybe not the VGA), but the PRMRP brass kits give a better finish, but for me I prefer building and painting the Skog kits, when weathered they look good in my eyes.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
PRMRP OTA.

Here are some build shots:-
Thank you, your PRMRP photos offer more support than do the corresponding instructions.

What you have achieved for the VGA without instructions is rather good.

Whose wheelsets have you used for the OTA and for the VGA?

I like the Skog kits, they go together quickly and easily (maybe not the VGA), but the PRMRP brass kits give a better finish, but for me I prefer building and painting the Skog kits, when weathered they look good in my eyes.
My preference is for working with brass rather than a 3D print, I can see what you mean about the surface finish. What you say is a fair assessment of the result of building each model.

Last edited:

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
I have used Peartree on all the kits.

I am currently building an OTA-B and OTA-D. They use the 2' 8" lowmac, but they should be disk brakes.

I will post some pics up later.

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
As an aside if someone knows how I can move this thread to Area 51, I think it would be better there.

While I wait on a couple bits for the OTAs and VGA I have a rather key project for planned layout.

A BR 20 tonne brake van. This is a 43two1 kit from the former ABS Models range.

So far all I have done is clean up the main castings and attempting to understand the instructions.

IMG_20211208_190558 by James Hockley, on Flickr

This the 507 diagram kit, the air piped version of the van.

The plan is to build it as it was in the very early 2000s, as a Propelling vehicle used to move wagons into the Shotton paper mill.

I need to do a lot of research, I have found copy of book that should be useful, I will share more when it arrives.

Initial observations, castings are superior to anything I have ever seen. Took a bit of cleaning but nothing major.

Instructions are tricky to understand, not helped by them being written and myself being dyslexic, so pictorial is always a winner for me.

jhockuk

Western Thunderer