Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Wheel meet again
IMG_1560.jpeg
Upright and sat down. After many tribulations over the past few evenings, we have a rolling chassis.
It had got to this state earlier in the week, but one of the interior axles was skidding, rather then turning. So it came apart again and had some hacking and filing applied. Although the biggest problem was that I’d failed to notice that one of the waisted pinpoint bearings had settled in skewed, and the cup of another one wasn’t machined out to a proper accommodation (subsequent checking seems to confirm that this one came from a batch of Markits bearings, whereas the other seven were Gibsons; I can only presume that Stores had a catalogue issue in times past, and allowed some mixing of manufacturers. A memo had been raised to try to rectify procedures.)

Still, now it runs smoothly. Uncompensated. I did toy with fitting a pair of MJT internal rocking unit on a pair of axles, but there really isn’t enough room between the solebars to get free movement.

With the glue drying, and the sun finally shining, here seems to be a good point for me to acknowledge the considerable help I have had from Tad, the designer of this kit. He’s provided numerous iterations to me in our joint pursuit of applying P4-ability to this kit. And given me a lot of knowledge and history about the various methods of manufacturing and development of substrates. It’s been (is being; let’s not get ahead of ourselves…) an education. I greatly appreciate his support, and willingness to help overcome my pernicketiness.

Cheers

Jan

jonte

Western Thunderer
Wheel meet again
View attachment 213380
Upright and sat down. After many tribulations over the past few evenings, we have a rolling chassis.
It had got to this state earlier in the week, but one of the interior axles was skidding, rather then turning. So it came apart again and had some hacking and filing applied. Although the biggest problem was that I’d failed to notice that one of the waisted pinpoint bearings had settled in skewed, and the cup of another one wasn’t machined out to a proper accommodation (subsequent checking seems to confirm that this one came from a batch of Markits bearings, whereas the other seven were Gibsons; I can only presume that Stores had a catalogue issue in times past, and allowed some mixing of manufacturers. A memo had been raised to try to rectify procedures.)

Still, now it runs smoothly. Uncompensated. I did toy with fitting a pair of MJT internal rocking unit on a pair of axles, but there really isn’t enough room between the solebars to get free movement.

With the glue drying, and the sun finally shining, here seems to be a good point for me to acknowledge the considerable help I have had from Tad, the designer of this kit. He’s provided numerous iterations to me in our joint pursuit of applying P4-ability to this kit. And given me a lot of knowledge and history about the various methods of manufacturing and development of substrates. It’s been (is being; let’s not get ahead of ourselves…) an education. I greatly appreciate his support, and willingness to help overcome my pernicketiness.

Cheers

Jan

I’m pleased that your perseverance (nay, trial and tribulation ;) ) has paid off, Jan, and with valuable assistance as mentioned, appears overall to have been an enjoyable experience.

Here’s to the next!

Jon

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
I’m pleased that your perseverance (nay, trial and tribulation ;) ) has paid off, Jan, and with valuable assistance as mentioned, appears overall to have been an enjoyable experience.

Here’s to the next!

Jon
Thanks Jon,
As every, your support is gratefully acknowledged. As are all those who’ve stumbled upon this elongated therapy session.

I think my enjoyment comes in triumphing despite. We all have a variety of drains, scrapes, and wounds delivered unto us, and the restorative - and escapist - nature of a hobby is a definite boon, for me.

Thanks again

Cheers

Jan