F269 GWR Shunting Wagon

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Dear All,

It is with grateful thanks that we acknowledge your collective interest in our humble and - if we went on current output levels alone - insignificant enterprise.

When it comes to talk of flange depth and rail gauge, I must say that - and forgive me if here I render only my own viewpoint; I would not seek to act with presumption in assigning these views to the volatile personalities constrained behind the walls of the Watkins Wharf Wagon Works workforce - I have great admiration for all artistry in these matters. I value the contribution and finesse of the construction, whatever the Chief Engineer has set down as correct distance between the railheads. Indeed, in my younger days, I had interests in a 4'6 light railway - The Lyng & Lenwade Light - that was intended to serve the communities of the River Wensum in the north of Norfolk. Sadly, due to the withdrawl of support from one of the significant financiers, who suddenly declared the river banks to be unworthy of protracted maintenance (although there were rumours of personal bankruptcy), the scheme folded before a service had been run. In my excursions away from the Works, I have been lucky enough to glimpse from afar the keenly-observed examples railway artistry such as Canada Street and The Brewery, and am in awe of the skills of their Engineers (or - if I may be so bold - Creators). Here at The Works, we are something of 'Johnny Come Lately' in our support of the railways (our initial incarnation was in the manufacture of canal barges and other waterborne craft), and have therefore aligned ourselves with the gauge in place at the Wharf alongside Limehouse Basin, and the tramway that runs off it - as this is where all our work currently comes from. We have had a fair amount of experience in recent times in spreading the wheelsets of the stock acquired via Ernest Bay to accomodate the the additional 9-1/2 "of our "host gauge".

Incidentally, during the War, and in complete secrecy - I have yet to find any mention of the work carried out on the North Bank of the Thames -the sidings at The Wharf made a small contribution to the War Effort by supporting the Artificial Harbours Sub-Committee in hosting the building of caissons required to support the landings in Northern France. In order to undertake this, and facilitate the movement of large quantities of bulding materiel and associated heavy equipment, all track on the quay was upgraded with bullhead checkrails throughout. We have inherited this Wharf in its entirety - having acknowledged special dispensation for access by British Railway engines to all parts of our system (under the command of our pilotmen) - and our best efforts to undertake maintenance on the formations have so far met with little success: I do not know what they put in that cement, but it refuses to surrender to our tools!

Speaking of track maintenance, I enclose a photograph of the current Departmental support vehicle. This little mobile dumping ground started life as a F269 GWR Shunting Wagon. Born in Poole, she spent the majority of her working life in and around Birkenhead. She is currently the sole member of The Works Permanent Way Dept (Foreman In Charge, Walter Broadacre - by night, Beryl's Other Half (or Other Sixteenth as some wags have it - I'm pretty sure we all know who rules the roost in that hen house)) having been enticed away from the clean coastal air of the North West for the sapping fog of the East End of London. We've reworked her a bit, but she's unmistakably Swindon. In her new life with us, she has become used to being pushed into all corners, and loaded with all sorts. She is currently laid up on our Light Repair road awaiting attention to her binding brakes.

File_000.jpeg

I'll just close by answering to Jordan.
I'm very grateful for your questions, although I do wonder if your pint of refreshment was beer - and not something stronger. I have no idea as to the Sell By Date to which you refer. We've only just come off Rationing, and - as far as I'm aware - our food lasts for as long as its saleable. Perhaps you mean 'Selby date' - which I thought was an evening in the company of a North Yorkshire lass?

Until Next Time

Regards To All from all of us here at The Works

Jan Jackson

Attachments

• File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 26

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
What a joy to hear the long lost dialect of Shadwell

It necessitated an inquisitory journey into the City, in order to avail myself of the Library's Reference Section.

Regarding Professor Ogle's observations - which I have heard repeated over many a discourse in various establishments over my career in this arena - I would say that there is much merit in what he says. However, in this particular corner of the RCH map, we find ourselves unable to accommodate the tolerances employed. This is in no way a criticism or denegration of the fine work carried out by others - indeed, I am an ardent admirer of such works as Borchester Market, and Engine Wood - but rather a comment on the particular siding our managerial mindset views as normality.

I go know to the merchants Bramble & Quail, as my lady requires my efforts to be focused on improving our meagre accommodation. Next time - if you'll indulge me - I may highlight more of the geographical and social relationship with this - as Mr Hardy so rightly points out - historically doubtful part of the Capital.

As ever

Yours, etc.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Love the dear little Departmental vehicle, Jan; quite unusual.

Smashing detail too.

I rather suspect she merely swapped the smog of one place for another: the last time B'head enjoyed clean air, the monks were chanting at the local Priory (apologies, of course to the good folks of Wirral).

Perhaps she even 'travailed' the tracks of the long-lamented Cheapside on this side of the water, Jan?

Enjoying the tome, Jan, but spend most of my time seeking out the 'translate' key ;)

Regards,

jonte

Kier Hardy

It was refreshing to hear about your departmental wagon, and my assumption is that it would have held an unofficial name given affectionately by the shop floor workers (we all have a soft spot for the works wagons really, no matter how hard our exterior appears), so with the management busy with other matters they may not always be privy to that sort of gossip. I'm sure a squirt of FK45 would ease the brakes somewhat, but what a lot of people don't know is that it's more of a moisture repellent than a lubricant! Most of the 'Old Faithfuls' were in such a geriatric state with a relatively sedate lifestyle, but they're unlikely to venture any further than the front door.... and even then it would be a requisite bright day when nothing can go wrong. So let's hear it for those unsung heroes that provide a vital role in keeping things moving in the background, even when there's not really a lot going on! It's been a most enjoyable and informative read, and I'm getting a good impression of The Works, its goings on, and generally what to expect when I get an opportunity to make a visit.

As for the required acquisition of materials to keep 'her indoors' happy, then you've chosen the right place to purchase said item(s). A fine emporium indeed brimming with a wide variety of merchandise, and helpful staff to boot! It's not uncommon for Wilma Neasake to be outside the door selling a tantalising range of savoury fayre and hot beverages.

Good to see a few familiar faces here from those Borstal Days at HMP Elmscroft...

All the best

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I'll just close by answering to Jordan.
I'm very grateful for your questions, although I do wonder if your pint of refreshment was beer - and not something stronger. I have no idea as to the Sell By Date to which you refer. We've only just come off Rationing, and - as far as I'm aware - our food lasts for as long as its saleable.....
Ah, my apologies; I didn't realise we are communicating across time, as well as space. (I suspect no-one else did, either!)
If you've only just come out of Rationing I expect you are grateful for any biscuits at all, but I'm afraid the Future has some nasty surprises in store; I hope the recent Festival of Britain hasn't built your hopes up too much. :(
The twin plagues of European Union red tape and Health & Safety legislation await you.... :eek:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
... I didn't realise we are communicating across time, as well as space. I hope the recent Festival of Britain hasn't built your hopes up too much.
I do hope that when you attend the show that you get the chance to speak to my Dad, he is the handsome one manning a stand in the section showing British diecasting work. I think that the company was Cohen, if you can oblige I shall be grateful.

Back to the future... I have "his" exhibit from the Festival and the relevant drawings, never seen a catalogue of exhibitors.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Ah, my apologies; I didn't realise we are communicating across time, as well as space. (I suspect no-one else did, either!)
If you've only just come out of Rationing I expect you are grateful for any biscuits at all, but I'm afraid the Future has some nasty surprises in store; I hope the recent Festival of Britain hasn't built your hopes up too much. :(
The twin plagues of European Union red tape and Health & Safety legislation await you.... :eek:

Hello Jordan,
Thanks for your latest. I apologise if you were unaware of the periodic setting of our little enterprise. I had set it out in my original missive, vis; "....with a small corner of what-might-have-been late-50's East London waterside...". May I suggest that your imbibing of potentially incapacitiating beverages may be having some impact on your ability to focus?

As to the onset of 'red tape' and Health and Safety Legislation, I agree that these are unknown to me at present. But - as I have intimated previously in this little snapshot of The Works at work - I am mindful of the risk to health that this work brings to those in my charge, and believe that any measure that might bring a more considerate mien from management would be a good thing. I'll say no more, but just to wish you well in your recovery.

Yours etc...

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
:oops: yes, as Mr D Star Esq divulged, I did say I'd have to read the thread slowly several times. Obviously I missed the date bit so didn't read it carefully enough :oops: I recall "must try harder" seemed to appear on my School Reports with monotonous regularity :rolleyes:
Re alcohol consumption, as a conscientious Road Logistics Technician I can assure you that during my working week intake registers at zero. The unfortunate consequence is that a much lower intake level than normal is required at the weekend to produce the same effect as experienced by most Blue Collar men. :oops: although it does work out much cheaper that way, as well.... :)

TimC

Good to see a few familiar faces here from those Borstal Days at HMP Elmscroft

Ahhh, the 'delights' of Elmscroft...... Shocking, it was nearly 30 years ago. Yet some of the inmates from back in the day are still there!

Actually, I believe an early incarnation of WWWW (though it might have been called D Wharf back then) was exhibited in those hallowed halls and somewhere there is a photo or two of the grand occasion (but, alas, they are not to hand).

Thinking about it, I suppose it was a certain Mr Jackson that dragged me into model railways in the first place with the promise of a beer after club in the Cross Keys (Courage Directors I seem to recall) - I guess I didn't need much encouragement.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Actually, I believe an early incarnation of WWWW (though it might have been called D Wharf back then) was exhibited in those hallowed halls and somewhere there is a photo or two of the grand occasion (but, alas, they are not to hand).

Ahem.... Yes, the foundations of The Works were previously monikered thus, Chum. It was October 1991 I think. I do have a picture of Judith focusing intently as she undertook Hand Of G*d work - for truth, the vagaries of joints (track-based, before you ask..) also plagued that incarnation. Since then, it's become a tad shorter... but still just as incomplete!

Thinking about it, I suppose it was a certain Mr Jackson that dragged me into model railways in the first place with the promise of a beer after club in the Cross Keys (Courage Directors I seem to recall) - I guess I didn't need much encouragement.

Blimey. That's a fair accusation to sling at me :) I seem to recall it was a Mutually Agreed Decision, undertaken after tea break not long after you arrived - what we were breaking from, I don't know - watching the trains go by on the roundy roundy, probably. You can't beat a drop of Courage. Best for me. :) I recall going back to Quedgeley on the Saturday evening of the exhibition, having imbibed four pints (you drove, I think - or was it Phil Hall?) and with a 'control panel' to fix. I soon found the problem; too many commons on one of the switches... powerful, mind-altering stuff that Directors, obviously :)

I'd like to say that the best of the GMRC modellers made it through to here. That would account for you and Kier. I'm not sure how I got in, mind ;)

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
image.jpeg We get asked to do odd things here at The Works. This snap shows the efforts of our Forge, Stamp & Casting Shop in responding to a request from Fenchurch St to address a number of small parts requiring attention as identified by Inspectors in yard visits. Here - apparently in white metal - is the fruits of their labours.

It's an axle box cover. It appears that a number of these have gone missing - or been lost altogether, it seems - from stock in remote sidings lately. Who is behind this is difficult to sprueve, but we need to provide a quartet with some urgency.

The currency comparator is for our contributor, Jonte.

Best,

Jan

Last edited:

jonte

Western Thunderer
Ah, yes.

The curious case of the misappropriated axle box covers; one for the attentions of our most-able man at 'The Yard' no less. I rather suspect 'cowl' play.

Practising what you preach with the comparator, Jan. Thank you kindly for keeping me in my mind. However, now I've seen how it should be done it seems pretty obvious: lay the coin flat!

I spent yonks trying to balance that coin while trying to stop it rolling away :(

Jonte

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
image.jpeg
Sat on the Inspection Road, fresh out of the Paint Shop, our first completed Kirkcaldy kit stands waiting for the wagon man from BR (E) to come and give it the once-over.

She looks the part, we think. Her simple wraparound box caused some consternation amongst our assemblers - muttering a about rivetters becoming redundant were very much to the fore, I gather. And she wasn't straightforward by any means; you can't see it, but we've had to pack the 1 1/2" gap between the end of her floorboards and one side - we had to get 'unofficial' clearance for this, and are hoping the Bowler Hat won't want to get too close to her. We've tried to minimise the chances by squeezing her between two vans, and putting a dose of London brickdust (there's a lot of it left around these parts still, despite it being a fair stretch since the end of the War) around her insides to give her a fighting chance of making it out onto The System.

One thing that I (and Chippy, of course..) noted, is that she carries large blackboards for the shunters to mark her with their strange Masonic hieroglyphics, bolted on. But - to our understanding at least - that was an L&NER fitting; the BR boys have a smaller, demountable version in their drawings.

Oh well, we've done what we can. She took far longer than we expected, and we need to get on with some grey boxes now. So its over to the notorious Nit Pickers Union (currently being 'entertained' off-site by Our Management) to say 'Yay' or 'Nay'.

Yours,

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Easier than we thought. The second pint must have done the trick.
image.jpeg

Numbered and Classified, and barring her visible pipework (which we left of just in case we had to have her back in again ) she's ready to roll. Her numbering came from Modelmaster, and is - as with most things we do - suspect. There's a feeling that the B series (as opposed to the E's of the ex-L&NER) should have two vertical strengtheners on the door. But I'm no expert, and if the Nit Picker (last seen weaving his way towards The Commercial Road and the bus home) is happy, then we can invoice.

Onwards to the next.

Best wishes from us all here

Jan

Last edited: