JLRT Gresley Coach - and then there were two!!

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
As mentioned elsewhere, I took the plunge and ordered a JLRT Gresley D114 brake end coach. It arrived on Friday and initially I had said I wouldn't open it until Christmas so as not to detract from the main event.

However following our going out for my works Christmas lunch, further discussion ensued and in the end I left it up to the wife as to when I opened it. A few minutes later a large white box appeared.

While opening it I noticed that the box was labelled D113 (as opposed to D114), I didn't really pay too much attention at that point being more interested in finding out what you get for your money.

As I was looking I realised that there were no interior etches, so I looked for the sides and determined that it was in fact a full brake. As we had talked about either a full brake or a brake end and the wife had placed the order, she said Oh I must have ordered the wrong one.

I looked a bit further and started to talk about ringing JLRT to confirm that it wasn't their mistake. At this point wife panicked and produced another box with the D114 kit in it, confessing that she had bought the D113 as a surprise Valentines day gift and had given me the wrong one. She was a bit upset at spoiling her surprise and I while sympathising was elated at the same time.

And Christmas is yet to come :thumbs: :thumbs:

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Excellent Rob, you've got a good lady there.

I hope that Santa will be bringing her some nice sparkling jewellery come the 25th!

It reminds me of the time my wife commissioned Peter Cowling to build an 8 coach Queen of Scots Pullman rake. She picked a busy time at a Guildex Telford show, and didn't half get some funny looks from the punters around Peter.

She told me later that I couldn't divorce her as she'd take the coaches with her :eek:... not that I have any wish to.

Mind you, I'm very good to her. I let her go on lots of craft weekends and retreats with her girl friends during the year . So there I am......... stuck at home ......all on my own....... days at a time ;D

Richard

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Richard,

You are a lucky chap, my wife has promised me all kinds of gifts only problem is it won't be until she inherits  ::)

ATB,  Martyn.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Thanks guys,

Yes sparkling jewellery it is - I do have it easy in terms of knowing what to get when buying Christmas and birthday presents  - Chris collects Victorian and Georgian jewellery so I have a vast range to choose from. I am constantly on the look out for likely pieces which I buy and put away (I have had her main Christmas present since May).

The Queen of Scots Pullmans sound wonderful, do you have any photo's? :drool: :drool:

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Rob Pulham said:
The Queen of Scots Pullmans sound wonderful, do you have any photo's? :drool: :drool:

Hi Rob

I don't have any recent photos but the following were set up before we were running to play with my (then) new camera. I shall have to add it to the video wish list ;D

Attachments

• Clive on Heyside 020.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 9
  • Clive on Heyside 024R.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • Clive on Heyside 014.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
  • Clive on Heyside 029 B&W.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 6

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Well worth any mount of grovelling in my mind - before I had got to the last photo I had wondered for a moment if you had painted your A3.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
The good luck continues to shine in my house or I am doing something right at least. :thumbs:

Besides the Medley Models W1 kit that I knew I was getting and I have posted pictures of previously, Santa also brought me a Finney Duchess complete with inside motion (so now I will have no excuse not to build at least one with inside motion). All I need to do now is save for  motor etc for them both and wheels for the Duchess.

28ten

Guv'nor
Lucky boy! The Duchess is a nice kit, I built one when they first came out. Iirc it used a crailcrest motor, but these days I would go for ABC, I also turned up a set of AGH castings for the wheels.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I do intend to go ABC for the motor/gearbox but I would need to get AGH wheels turned for me as I don't have a lathe or the skills to turn them if I had one. But I may price them up for such a nice kit. I already have Slaters wheels for the W1 but I need to get motor/gearboxes for the WD/W1 and Duchess so a nice order to ABC is in the pipeline.