Trade JLTRT aerosol paint colour

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The JLTRT web page for Spray Away cellulose spray cans lists two codes for painting GWR wagon stock, being:-

1/ PWSA027 described as GWR Wagon Grey;
2/ PWSA048 described as GWR Freight Grey.

Great Western Way (HMRS) describes wagon liveries and records colour as "grey" - so what are the paints offered by JLTRT?

* Colour of paint?
* Used for painting what? when?

(Helpful suggestions please) :)

thanks, Graham

daifly

Western Thunderer
Graham

At the risk of sounding flippant, have you asked JLTRT?

I bought a can of each because I was convinced that I needed both but exactly as to why, I'm blessed if I can remember the difference. I'm away from home for several days so I can't even do a quick squirt with them to give you an empirical answer. I have a suspicion that they are just different hues of the same basic colour. After all, there are at least 50 shades of grey.

Dave

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
At the risk of sounding flippant, have you asked JLTRT?
Yes... and on the basis of Laurie's answer - along the lines of "do not know" - I have asked here.

If you can spray a couple of samples, when convenient, and let me know what you can see in the manner of colour difference then I shall be pleased to learn the result.

regards, Graham

daifly

Western Thunderer
It will probably be Monday morning before I can do it but you've piqued my interest too now! I'll post the results then.

daifly

Western Thunderer
Home early and have had a couple of little squirts. After a number of light coats, it can be seen that there is a difference but it is very, very small.
DSC02945.JPG
The lower example is the 27 Wagon grey - a slightly warmer and darker grey than the upper 48 Freight grey. The first mist of weathering will almost eliminate the shading difference. Both have the same satin finish and the photo was taken under natural light. If I had to choose one, it would be the wagon grey. Using both for different wagons would reflect the variations in colour that wagons would have probably exhibited due to paint batch differences, fading etc.
HTH
Cheers
Dave

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Good news and thank you for taking the time to produce the samples. I like the idea of using the two "colours" to reflect the way in which the prototype wagons changed colour with time and weather.

regards, Graham