John’s workbench - a miscellany.

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Welcome to my workbench thread. I’ve been prompted into writing by a series of events which I hope you will enjoy, and by some actual progress on my foray into 2mm finescale which remains very slow but relatively steady.

My “layout” is the Ness Garden Railway, a SM32 (16mm/ft) single line that runs through most of our garden in Little Neston in Cheshire. The emphasis here is a garden which has a railway through it, so that the railway blends into the surroundings. We can also run 7/8ths scale stock and often do.

Much of our SM32 stock is Rugga skip based, with both Binnie skips and ModelEarth wagons which use the same chassis. Sometime last year one of the skips lost a wheel set during a derailment and as the wagon had travelled a few metres before I could get to it, an axlebox was lost. The skip was removed from the train and put aside after an extensive search (of the wrong area) failed to produce the axlebox. That’s how it was until last week when some attention was being given to the trackbed and the errant axlebox discovered laying between the sleepers. Aha! I thought and picked it up, turned around to deal with something else, forgot about the part (it’s about the size of a Scrabble tile) and lost it again, just dropped it somewhere I guess. You’ll excuse this easier if you understand that I was perched on the trackbed, which is only 4” wide, trying not to damage plants, and turn around 180 degrees and the something else I had to deal with was further down the line… Well, that reminded me to order some spares from Peter Binnie which came very quickly thank you, and that skip is now back in service.

3FABF278-3DF8-4B1D-9985-7C883726056A.jpeg

The second incident involves Skip #1 (above), an open sided flat with ends produced for a limited period by Simon Harris of ModelEarth. This vehicle became one of those wagons that slowly vanished from the network. It was photographed in service throughout the year, but the line’s Management slowly realised that it was no longer running in trains, and nobody knew where it was or why it was missing. TOPS revealed nothing, and a VERY extensive search of the house, garden and sheds was made at the start of this year when we moved everything around preparing to accommodate a returning fledgling, but to no avail.

The end of this story came yesterday when I was digging out compost from our allotment and noticed a familiar wheel set and a Rugga chassis in amongst the hummus. Careful exploration revealed most of the remaining parts, though some of them have become unglued and one end support is toast. However old #1 has made it back onto my workbench and will soon be placed back in service on the Railway. I can only assume that the skip was collected up during the annual leaf removal festival and made its way through the composting bins. It will have suffered some heat along the way, but seems to have coped, the damage was probably done by my fork….

80A98DC7-0B4B-4609-982D-FCDD1D6769A3.jpeg

If only the carpet monster was as forgiving?

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Here’s the current work on my workbench. Old skip #1 that you may recall was extracted from the compost heap has been fettled up and converted to a wheelset carrier for the Carriage Works. A NEW skip (rarely heard of around here) is being constructed and the tin van is just there for show.

It’s pouring down today so no trains running.

Cheers
JohnC7977CE4-2E10-4EA1-9751-46A9380120F0.jpeg8E32E6F3-7858-4849-857D-BD0C5B76FAB5.jpeg4F53EC37-8A85-45D1-94E9-73DAF80C1C8C.jpeg

Kitchen table modelling

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Time has moved on apace and my work tray has landed on the kitchen table for the time being…
3A6DCC6A-953C-4054-9B56-BCAC406E0536.jpeg

My 2mm efforts have concentrated on getting some Scalescenes buildings up to a quality I am happy with, and now that I have, I’m looking for places to put them and thinking about how to the landscape would have looked before this little twig of the railway arrived and cut into it. So I’m mocking up a scene with a old stonebuilt warehouse perpendicular (roughly) to the railway which had previously adjoined another building in terrace style, but which was demolished to make way. The gable end was then repaired in brick (cheap) and painted white to (sort of) much the stone.

In front of this a brick warehouse with a more modern extension, wedged into the available space, possibly to be extended, still thinking about that.

Behind all this I noticed that a wooden box poking over the rooftops might be a larger warehouse again, taller, maybe set on a natural rise, looming slightly larger, blocking even more of the distance beyond might work.
925E1CBE-E5C7-4A06-9024-C08749689202.jpeg
The black card they rest on is the edge of the railway property. This is the closed in kind of effect I’ve been hoping to create, so now we move to more mock-ups and get down to making these real.

The local van drivers hate this area, and many a scarred wing tells witness to the sharp, bends and narrow cobbled lanes.

Let’s get down to it!

John

Designing the buildings

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
This “layout“ is now officially known as Twig One - its two small to be a branch. I’ve set about designing a building or two for the left hand end - I had a number of ideas in my head but no prototypes, just mental mood boards.

Before that hough, a major boost to my confidence and a number of well timed posts on here and over on the mm part of the other place led to some leaps forward and I have build and had locos running over the Easitrac turnout. Yes!! So thanks to the various contributors who have unknowingly helped and spurred me on. (Since had to make a couple of improvements so it looks unfinished in the pics)

The first building needed to be an industrial one with a through road for a wagon or two to be shunted through. This itch has been waiting to be scratched for many years, in fact so long that I have forgotten where the original picture was published, but I’m sure it will turn up - probably the day after the building is glued to the layout.
0DA4891F-A9D8-448D-8D0B-3D456D20E764.jpeg
I’ve no access to CAD so I started drawing something on an A sheet of paper, this became the mood board for this building, with lots of scribbles added as I went along. A copy was taken on the printer, and a paper version cut out and plonked, photographed and pondered over.

The drawing was updated and copied again and this time a card version was made, pondered etc and repeated several times.

The latest version shown below was supposed to be narrower than the last, its about 4mm wider… I think I missed a change made with the knife and not noted on the drawing. Anyway the roof line is one I like and it’s different to any other I have in mind so far so I think I’m getting there. 7DE5A305-9951-4719-817A-3969D49E7F28.jpeg991C46EA-7853-4CDA-A2DD-9ECECC366C5A.jpeg

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Here‘s the next iteration with more detail and corrected dimensions. Some other buildings (or rather parts of) have also been placed for further consideration. I’ve also added some rough doors and windows to help my mind stop thinking of it as a small shed. It’s not much bigger than a coal merchants hut in 7mm.
E5E32838-0C83-4480-910D-EAC04A79712B.jpeg

The cobbled street that the line has rudely interrupted (and needs a name) will be getting some narrower warehouses in the foreground. I had a lovely walk around Liverpool earlier in the week spotting many such warehouses now serving as apartments and so in, but you can still see their form and to a degree, their function. None Of that twee stuff here though, this part of town is NOT gentrificated at all. No sir! 08203776-B3A1-44D0-AE70-BF49BB674581.jpeg

Gronk 1 - Wheels turning - mostly

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
This makes me very happy indeed! After 2 chassis builds and a great deal of trying, I finally have an 08 chassis that runs under power in both directions.

One way runs great and smooth, the other is more juddery and prone to jamming. I think the latter is due to one stub axle being loose in the muff and I’ll look into that tomorrow.

BTW the rods are not held on at all one side and just one plastic wire sleeve.

Here‘s a short video of the running, I’d appreciate any observations and comments that might assist going forward, or indeed in reverse!

Cheers!

John

edit 16/10 new YouTube link

Last edited:
Confessions of a bodger

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
How we laughed…. Having achieved the previously I reached heights of a working chassis, under power, and sorted out the loose stub axle/muff issue, I moved onto the next glaring issue: most of the time the motor needed a gentle prod to start up.

I looked at this for ages yesterday and came To the learned decision that the motor seemed to be unsteady in the Association mount and that it must therefore be needing to realign slightly to start…

So I gently freed the motor from the mount and slid it out of the gearbox. Yes the retaining glue was rubbery and ineffective, but was now obvious to all was that one of the wires supposed to supply power, and in fairness to me, the one that looked perfect, wasn’t actually soldered to the motor, each tiny poke made a connection and the gummy glue must have held it for a while… I’d used a very rigid wire in a C shape to do this and it looked fine…

All fixed now!

John

jonte

Western Thunderer
Happy New Year to you too, John.

Great texture on the brick and the shade of colour looks spot on thus far :thumbs:

Having watched the vid, I must say you’re very brave to be building in such a small scale.

jonte

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Happy New Year to you too, John.

Great texture on the brick and the shade of colour looks spot on thus far :thumbs:

Having watched the vid, I must say you’re very brave to be building in such a small scale.

jonte
Cheers Jonte, I’m not sure brave is the right word… there are some advantages, size, weight and portability, but also the whole thing is fragile and delicate.

still busy track laying and wiring………

John