Ker-lunk: Functional drop-head couplers in 7mm scale.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I'm just glad that I have no need of this device, as the Americans gave up coupling trains the 19th Century way... back in the 19th Century...  ::) ;D ;)

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Hi guys,

I was wondering if this was going to be one of those threads where everybody thinks 'smart ar$e' and it ends up left at one post...

Here are a couple of pics showing the 'trick' element - how to make the hook fit the coupler:
IMG_8166.jpg
IMG_8167.jpg

You'll no doubt have noticed that the hook is a bit deformed - it looks short. Well that's to allow the correct geometry for the Kadee to continue to work and also so that it ends up the correct length. The S-scale couplers I've used here (#802: #803 the 0n30 coupler seems to be identical) are a little under scale, but better than the vastly over-scale Kadee 0-gauge coupler. Using the under-scale head should give good operation and allow the vehicles to be coupled at the correct distance apart; thanks to Slater's, with buffers retracted of course!

If anyone wants the dimensional detail I'm happy to oblige but it might take a day or two to translate from Dale-ese in my log book to something fit for consumption. Spilling tea on the relevant page really didn't help matters either... :headbang:

Steph[/attach]

Last edited:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Steph Dale said:
I was wondering if this was going to be one of those threads where everybody thinks 'smart ar$e' and it ends up left at one post...
What sort of Forum do you think this is, Steph..?? Maybe we're a slightly more appreciative audience than a load of 4mm RTR-frothers... :scratch: :vista: :thumbs:

:)) :)) :)) :))

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
CME & Bottlewasher said:
Hi Steph :wave:

Nice work :bowdown: :thumbs:

What model will that be used on?

CME :wave:

This lovely thing:
IMG_7823.JPG

It's build is covered in some detail on 'the other place': Doing the 'Continental'

Jordan said:
What sort of Forum do you think this is, Steph..?? Maybe we're a slightly more appreciative audience than a load of 4mm RTR-frothers... :scratch: :vista: :thumbs:

Yeah, okay; so now I remember why I joined... ;D :))

Steph[/attach]

Last edited:

28ten

Guv'nor
Jordan said:

Naughty  8)

I saw the coupling today and I have to say that whilst being incredibly simple, it does seem to work very well.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
28ten said:
...a load of 4mm RTR-frothers... :scratch: :vista: :thumbs:
Naughty  8)

innocent0009.gif
innocent0007.gif

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Well last night saw me cutting a slot in the end of the bufferbeam and making up a mounting pad on the underframe. This morning the outide of the coupler box was prepared, two holes drilled and screws run through them and a set of Slater's Maunsell buffer castings dressed up.

Ta-da!...

Coupler head up, buffers retracted:
IMG_8174.jpg
IMG_8176.jpg

Coupler head down, buffers extended:
IMG_8171.jpg
IMG_8177.jpg

Today will be back to the coach and shortly I'll return to this thread, hopefully with the gangway functioning in a prototypical fashion. Now where's my copy of the SR General Appendix to find out how they should operate...?

Steph[/attach]

Last edited:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
You know the next question already, don't you... ::) :-[

How do the buffers stay retracted..?? :scratch:

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Jordan said:
You know the next question already, don't you... ::) :-[

How do the buffers stay retracted..?? :scratch:

Well, actually they use springs.  The saddles to extend the buffers clip in against the force of the spring.  So there are two springs - one to retract the buffer and clip in the saddles,  a second one to provide the spring to the head when the buffers are extended.  It's all pretty clever stuff and usefully for us Southern types the buffers are available off the shelf from Slater's.

I understand that those wanting to use Buckeye couplers with LNER or BR coaches are not so well provided for...

Steph

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph,

I've only just seen this thread as I've been busy at work so it's a late but well meant pat on the back for you from me, what a great idea  :thumbs: :thumbs: I may have to fashion some retracting buffers for my LNER coachs and i'm book marking this thread to come back and rob your idea when needed  :)) :)),

Best regards Mick

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
7mmMick said:
Hi Steph,

I've only just seen this thread as I've been busy at work so it's a late but well meant pat on the back for you from me, what a great idea  :thumbs: :thumbs: I may have to fashion some retracting buffers for my LNER coachs and i'm book marking this thread to come back and rob your idea when needed  :)) :)),

Best regards Mick

You're most welcome. ;)  Would Sir like the dimensions so that the ruddy thing will operate properly?  :))

Steph