Keyhaven - another proposed line

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Just an odd thought made me think out loud........"Why bother with West Bay when we once lived a few miles from a proposed railway at Keyhaven?" Hmmm......The proposal would have been the link under the Solent to Freshwater but not from Lymington instead Keyhaven, one of our favourite cycling destinations when we lived in Mudeford.

KeyhavenMap500.jpg

Except the tunnel was never built but maybe the estimable Col. Holman Stephens was employed by the LSWR to build the line as a light railway branching off the Lymington line near Ampress and ending at a wharf. This would have been used during both world conflicts before succumbing to the inevitable shortly after '48.

Maybe a layout
?

I have never thought of an estuarine theme but Stanpit and Milford Marshes were old haunts whilst the proliferation of East Anglican layouts is of interest. All it needs is a cluster of mean terraced houses, a cafe and a tiny South Western station, there is no need to build the wharf because the rails were lifted in '46 however the bleakness and open nature of the location are attributes.

KeyhavePhoto1.jpg

KeyhavePhoto2.jpg

Were these the old trackbed across Keyhaven Marsh?

And here is a link with a bit of local history for good measure

Tim

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Great idea, Tim, entirely plausible and the setting sounds wonderfully bleak and isolated! The link is extremely interesting - its amazing what the Victorians proposed and so often built that in this day and age would be ridiculed as impossibilities.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this project!

All the best,
Mark

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Some nice ideas Tim. Seeing the map and the mention of the proposed tunnel linking the Island with the mainland reminded me of a letter I received from Cyril Freezer many years ago, I would have been about 14. I must have written to him about the subject. Nice bit of history.
Hope you do not mind this slight diversion?
All the best
Julian3DA7DB58-75D3-4BA7-80E6-0217987A6AAD.jpeg

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Some nice ideas Tim. Seeing the map and the mention of the proposed tunnel linking the Island with the mainland reminded me of a letter I received from Cyril Freezer many years ago, I would have been about 14. I must have written to him about the subject. Nice bit of history.
Hope you do not mind this slight diversion?
All the best
JulianView attachment 169012
What a marvellous piece of memorabilia and so typical of CJF!

All the best,
Mark

Phil O

Western Thunderer
A Colonel Stevens, light railway is a good excuse to run virtually anything that is ramshackle and decrepit, that's on its last legs. Plenty of atmosphere in a line like that.

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
A couple of suggestions for locations:
the Witterings, East and West, served by a branch from the LB&SCR Portsmouth line,
Seatown (on Chideock), around the bay from Lyme Regis, served by a long and tortuous branch off the L&SWR main line near Clapton.

HTH!

Cheers,
Mark

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Tim,

What are the proposed dimensions of the scenic part of the layout? Are you comfortable, building your own track?

Dai88D

Western Thunderer
Great idea, Tim, entirely plausible and the setting sounds wonderfully bleak and isolated! The link is extremely interesting - its amazing what the Victorians proposed and so often built that in this day and age would be ridiculed as impossibilities.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this project!

All the best,
Mark
Poor old Cornwallis did go bust with his plans for Milford and Keyhaven, hey ho. Lovely area, but possibly because the plans never got to fruition.

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
And I think that the story has run its course, there is little likelihood that Keyhaven will be chosen as the subject for the rebuilding of the old Beaminster Road boards. It is both ironic and rather heartwarming that after a gap of thirteen-odd years that I finally get to build the layout that I wanted albeit with just a few minor changes to both plan and stock.

However it is sad that so many of those who were around at the outset are gone but their efforts will be not be forgotten.

Tim

Last edited: