4mm L&y Railmotor - Oh Dear Another Distraction

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Well it has been some time since I did anything in 4mm but in a quest to finish of some part built stuff in order to sell them to raise funds I picked up my Jidenco (the box says that the original owner received it from Jidenco in 1979!!) L&Y Railmotor that I part built so that the gent from Highlevel (can't bring his name to mind) could recommend a motor/gear box. It was then put aside for later and now much later when clearing out bit's and pieces I came across it so I decided to crack on with it.

In true Jidenco fashion a lot of the etches are like tissue paper and so have needed some beefing up with scrap etch. The solebars being an example and the loco steps.

L&Y Railmotor 004.JPG

L&Y Railmotor 005.JPG

L&Y Railmotor 006.JPG

L&Y Railmotor 007.JPG

L&Y Railmotor 008.JPG

L&Y Railmotor 009.JPG

L&Y Railmotor 010.JPG

L&Y Railmotor 011.JPG

L&Y Railmotor 012.JPG

The roof I rolled myself from brass sheet and for once I wasn't happy with the finish/fit despite best efforts it splayed in the middle so I made some formers to keep it in shape.

The inner partitions between the drivers compartment and the luggage compartment are both scratch built as are the doors.

The queen posts are brass tube with split pins soldered in and the turnbuckles are micro-bore brass tube that I filed through each side using a round file to create the turnbuckle.

Next job is to create a removable floor so I can solder the roof on solid. I also need to buy a couple of Rromford crank pins as bizarrely the wheels didn't come with them (Bought direct from Markits too) and I only have two in my remaining stock of 4mm bit's.

The motion is all nickel but again I am going to have to scratchbuild some laminates to make it sturdy enough to work. to this end I bought a set of Gibson motion at the time that has the same con rod length - not sure how much of the rest will be any use.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Well at least I now know which railway company built this railmotor.... was this one for the Black Rod branch?

BTW - where does this project fit into the tag line!

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
was this one for the Black Rod branch?

Something like that.

BTW - where does this project fit into the tag line!

Ahhh........... it's one of those that if I hadn't started it I would have just flogged the kit. But the chances of getting anyone to buy a part built Jidenco kit for anything more than 99p isn't happening. And even 99p is wishfull thinking:rolleyes:

Sadly I have a few coaches and a couple of loco's that need similar treatment. But onwards and upwards once they are done I can put the funds towards my track building gubbins for the layout.