Lancashire & Yorkshire Locomotives - QCAD and Fusion 360

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Sometimes I wish I had taken the time to learn 3D drawing, I just can’t seem to get my head around it. I do however enjoy seeing what you are doing. I can also see how much clearer it is to assemble the parts than with 2D.
Michael

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Sometimes I wish I had taken the time to learn 3D drawing, I just can’t seem to get my head around it. I do however enjoy seeing what you are doing. I can also see how much clearer it is to assemble the parts than with 2D.
Michael
Hi Michael,

I think most of the "struggle" with understanding 3D CAD design is how you have to consider where you need additional drawings to build and cut certain features of the item in question and which plane to work on. It's getting your head around three planes whereas with 2D CAD we're only looking at one plane.

This is the basic drawing for the combination lever:
1710779815890.png

I've now added the second drawing which is used to cut the shape.
1710779895225.png

The first extrusion of the basic shape gives us this. It is extruded oversize so that the shape continues over into the areas bounded by the second drawing.
1710779987834.png

The first "cut" using the second drawing shapes produces this.
1710780079576.png

The second "cut" takes us to here.
1710780115472.png

The third "cut" then makes the forked end.
1710780156184.png

It's then just a case of extruding the two lubricating covers and "chamfering" the edges.
1710780276384.png

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I have to say these were pushing the threshold for minimum thickness that can be printed and not bow or warp during printing or curing, creative orientation and an increase in side wall thickness by 0.1 mm resolved the issues :thumbs: