Larkrail

Simon

Flying Squad
This is a new thread for a new show, I have just walked back from paying my non returnable deposit on The New Oriel Hall for Saturday the 20th July 2013, and so:

"Larkrail" is "Go"

The hall is very nice but considerably smaller than that used for Camrail (and most conventional model railway exhibitions) and so the accent is definitely going to be on demonstrations and small layouts and workpieces.

There is a small mezzanine too, which I shall probably use for Harry and Charlie to run a "student" section, with a couple of sofas up there for a relaxation area(!)

Several people have very kindly put their names forward already and I shall start fleshing out the details on this thread in due course. To give and idea of the likely "flavour" and quality of the show in the meantime I have; Laurie Griffin, Gerry Beale and brothers Bob and Rich Brown booked as demonstrators, Steph doing DCC, Phil Copleston wearing his "S" scale hat, Jerry Clifford with his 2mm Tucking Mill Tramway, John Dale with 1/32 "La Gaffe", Chris Nevard with a layout on his shoulder, our Cynric with his 1/32 "diorayout" and several more in the pipeline including some surprises.

There will be hardly any traders. Finney and Smith are likely (Dave is really getting in to 3D printing now) and possibly a local model shop with "craft" type supplies, but my shop is a mere 100 yards or less away from the hall and will be well placed to satisfy various and manifold retail cravings should such things arise. I confess to hoping to hearing my till ringing all day and a steady trail of retail refugees wearing out the pavement in Upper Lambridge Street.

Refreshments will follow the style and quality of Camrail with my wife Lesley and helpers operating out of a well appointed kitchen area into the hall.

The show is run on a "not for profit" basis with any surplus generated being donated to a charity. For the last years of Camrail the charity chosen has been "The Railway Children" and Camrail this year raised £318.00 in total. It is fair to say that I also see this new show as a better means of promoting and developing sales through "The Titfield Thunderbolt" in Larkhall.

I really have no idea how well this new venture will go, but as mentioned above I see it as being bound to create new visitors to the shop and so even if it ends up taking a financial "hit" it will still have made sense from my own point of view (here I am talking about the purely commercial view of the venture). In the event that it (the show) didn't make any money then I would donate an amount of money to charity anyway, say £100.00.

As previously the financial success will be underpinned by what can only really be described as "extreme moderation" in the expenses paid out to attendees. I am conscious that this is a bit of a contentious issue, but feel it worth mentioning as it is fair to say that the generosity of exhibitors and demonstrators in this regard is a large part of what has made and will make all of "my" shows financially viable. That is not to say that expenses aren't or weren't paid and also by prudence and picking those geographically close and friends of friends who can be put up without resort to B&B such issues can be generally minimised anyway.

The entrance fee is going to be £4.00 per head for all comers, no concessions. This is for two reasons, the first being that £4.00 surely can not be any barrier to entry to anyone who has made it as far as the show entrance and also it makes administration (for me) MUCH simpler.

Accompanied children will be admitted free of charge as before.

I think that's about it for now, feel free to disseminate, discuss, ask questions, etc - for myself I intend to work a fair bit harder at the promotion of this event than I have in the past with Camrail in recent years.

I feel pretty confident that I/we can create an enjoyable and "different" style of show that will promote and celebrate what is a great hobby. The accent will be on creativity and "making" stuff and we will probably not be taking ourselves too seriously whilst counting our rivets....

See you there!!

Simon

queensquare

Western Thunderer
Tucking Mill..... a tramway, how very dare you sir - its a proper railway don't you know. Be Gods man its even got a signal...........:mad:

Very much looking forward to this. John Greenwood, he of ridiculously small and beautiful locos and cranes in 2mm will again be up from Cornwall and, along with Phil 'S' Copleston, will be staying (unless they get a better offer) with chez moi.

Look out next week for exciting news regarding Larkrail, the Larkrail Challenge. More when we get back from this weekends Uckfield show.

Jerry

AJC

Western Thunderer
I've always enjoyed Camrail when I've managed to get there so here's hoping I can get to Larkrail (who knows, dad may even schedule his holiday for a different week and make it himself!). With the right persuasion I could even bring some modelling projects with me...

Adam

Bob

Western Thunderer
Looking forward to attending. The challenge sounds good fun so might do something 7mm as an entry.............it'll seem huge in comparison:).

D6331

Western Thunderer
Hmmm - Simon said - "How about someone here doing an online build of a small and interesting something that could appear at Larkrail (Roger - you know who you are - cemetery.... Ruston....1/32....;) )"

Well, baseboard built and track purchased - it's small, it's 1/32 and hopefully it will be interesting.. pics to follow

Good evening
Roger

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon
If you would like me to do a demo for the show aka like the one you saw in Cheltenham, I am more than happy to help, it will be a 1/32nd demo more than likely the 2 class 29`s. I will of course show some of the other 1/32nd locos that can normally be seen on Worcester Road.
Of course no expenses required and no mention of a certain shunting accident on Pomplairs siding at the Wells show either. oops too late !!
Cheers
Steve

Simon

Flying Squad
Hi Simon
If you would like me to do a demo for the show aka like the one you saw in Cheltenham, I am more than happy to help, it will be a 1/32nd demo more than likely the 2 class 29`s. I will of course show some of the other 1/32nd locos that can normally be seen on Worcester Road.
Of course no expenses required and no mention of a certain shunting accident on Pomplairs siding at the Wells show either. oops too late !!
Cheers
Steve

Yes please!

A fantastic offer and very much appreciated:thumbs:

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
Right!!

I've just been and paid the balance, measured the two hall areas up and am now in organising mode, I reckon that puts me about three days ahead of schedule with the show now being a cool two and a half weeks away:p

Now, if any of you are expecting to have heard from me but haven't then please do get in touch, in the meantime I'm now endeavouring to contact everyone and sort out the floor plan.

I had forgotten how nice the space is and I think it should be really good fun - we have the use of a piano and minstrels gallery:eek: , in addition to there being a pleasant attached and private courtyard area just off the main hall that we are welcome to use.

I'll have the keys from Thursday lunchtime and we will be able to start setting up from 9.00 pm on Friday if we wish to when the local youth group "The Minuendos" finish singing.

As early as we like on Saturday, shall we say 8.00am onwards?

Further bulletins will follow.....

Larkrail

Saturday 20th July 2013, commencing 10.00am and finishing at 4.30pm.

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
Other attendees confirmed, Paul Stanford with his layoutette "Nouvion" (think O gauge and allo allo) and David Witcomb and the The Festiniog Railway Society (there are some exhibitors a chap daren't do without)

Phil Copleston and some sort of S scale roadshow, plus he's operating Tucking Mill with John Greenwood (ooh he's such a name-dropper) when Jerry bunks of with Kim to Bath Abbey for the best possible of reasons. Kim's graduation ceremony - she got a First:bowdown::bowdown:

Jerry and Kim will return later and Jerry is also threatening to bring a big black G1 train to go with Steve's big green G1 train in the morning - more to follow shortly.....

Simon

Bob

Western Thunderer
Looking forward to it, should be a thoroughly enjoyable bash. Polbrock Gurney and part of Maiden Newton?.......will bring my camera for certain:thumbs:.

D6331

Western Thunderer
I have printed several of The Posters off - a few now grace Cardiff City Hall notice boards.
Shall I ask the kind gents in the Ian Allen Bookshop in Cardiff to display one Simon?

Looking forward to The Show
Roger
:)