LarryG's general album

LarryG

Western Thunderer
New Class 66 No.66011 had breasted the summit of the line from Wrexham to Shotton and was coasting downgrade through Buckley with a Margam-Shotton steel working on 6th October 1998. I did some video filming here in the early 90's for a program entitled 'Hot & Heavy', which covered the hot steel coil journey from South Wales to Shotton. Until 1971, Buckley had been the junction for a branch to Connah's Quay. "Junction" was dropped in 1974...

WEB Topline 13.jpg

Cefn-Y-Bedd was a favourite spot of mine after some negotiation with the land owner who had Lama's in the field. 37888 and 37894 were speeding back to Wrexham with steel empties on 25th September 1998. The rear half of the train is crossing a high viaduct in this wooded scene, beyond which is the station...
WEB Topline 14.jpg

Back at Pen-Y-Fford. The signalman here would keep me informed on freight traffic movements, which was useful seeing as "Control" were afraid of a heavy frieght sitting down in front of a passenger train and so would send instruction to hold them back at Wrexham or Dee Marsh. 37894 and 37888 were doing the honours on a heavy steel train from from Margam on 25th September 1998....
WEB Topline 16.jpg

On the mainline from Shrewsbury, 66005 was pictured between Whittington and Gobowen with a Margam-Shotton working on 30th October 1998. This was my final ahot of these trains...
WEB Topline 17.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The Elgin-Shotton Paper company train conveying timber for processing into newsprint went over to Class 60 haulage in March 1994, but Class 56's occasionally worked the train. 56071 was creeping along between Caergwrle and Hope on 19th August 1994...
WEB Topline 18.jpg

A general view of Hope station with its open aspect compared with others on this line. Note too the buillhead track on concrete sleepers. Class 153 No. 153310 was stopping with the 13.32 Bidston-Wrexham on 19th August 1994...
WEB Topline 18C.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
On only the second day of Pacer operation on the 'top line', brandnew 142028 picks up passengers at Hawarden while working the 15.22 Wrexham to Boidston on 1st October 1985. A very well-kept station at this period considering it was un-staffed...
WEB Topline 19.jpg
Pentax SP1000/ 35mm Takumar

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
On the day Dapol have released imges of their new GWR 'Manor' 4-6-0, I thought it might be the time to upload these pictures I took in 1987.

7819 Hinton Manor crossing Barmouth viaduct on24th May 1987 on the return to steam on the Cambrian coast line...
WEB Cambrian 1.jpg

78219 e,erging from the 70 yards long tunnel at Barmouth on 22nd May 1987. A couple of hot days later, I met up with rail photographer Trevor Owen, a real gantleman. We ended up trying to stamp out a lineside fire, courtesy Hinton Manor, before deciding it was best to get out of there...
WEB Cambrian 2.jpg

Dapol 4mm/OO 'Manor'...
WEB Dapol Manor.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I didn't often visit Cheshire east of Chester. Class 45 No. 45120 speeds through the red sandstone cutting at Frodsham with the 13.00 Scarborough-holyhead on 3rd May 1985...

WEB Chester 1.jpg

Class 58 bogies marked out Class 56 No. 56042 pictured here passing Frodsham with a Shell oil train on 3rd May 1985. The area appears to suffer from susidence...
WEB Chester 2.jpg

Signalled for the cut off to Hooton at Helsby Junction, Class 20's Nos. 20150 and 20086 were approaching Helsby with another oil train bound for Stanlow on 23rd April 1985...
WEB Chester 4.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
56133 Crewe Locomotive Works approaching Helsby with bogie tanks for Stanlow oil refinery at 19.05hrs on 23rd April 1987. Before it was outshopped, I wrote to BR suggesting it would be neat if this loco were given LNWR lined black. They declined, but told me the next Class 56 would be in a brandnew livery, which turned out to be grey. Lined black did appear eventually thanks to Pete Waterman...
WEB Chester 10.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The signal had just cleared for 47457 Ben Line passing through Helsby eastbound with an LMS design Inspection Saloon on 23rd April 1987...
WEB Chester 11.jpg

Grey livery 47537 storming towards Helby station with a Manchester-Holyhead FLT freightliner working on 23rd April 1987. The last-built Class 56 was the first loco to carry this livery...
WEB Chester 12.jpg

Helsby Junction station where traffic for Stanlow diverged to the left. Sprinter No. 150142 was stopping with a Manchester-Llandudno service on 23rd April 1987. These units were still comparatively new and interesting at the time even though the pesky things had ousted Class 45's on 8-coach trains and introduced miserable over-crowded rail travel to passengers...
WEB CHester 9.jpg
I always considered the 85mm lens (Nikkor in this instance) gave the most pleasing perspective. Used to take the last seven images.

Last edited:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
The signal had just cleared for 47457 Ben Line passing through Helsby eastbound with an LMS design Inspection Saloon on 23rd April 1987...
View attachment 144820

Hi Larry,

The inspection saloon is a BR design - Diag 1/550 as you say based on the LMS Diag D2046 design and it is more than likely DB999503. I hope that you can find some more Inspection Saloon photos in your collection.

regards

Mike

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Helsby Junction Station is rather small and would make a neat model for those with no wish to build something big, but who want to run mainline trains with heavy freight and small local trains.

Class 25 No. 25199 waits on the Stanlow line at Helsby Junction for a Manchesetr-bound DMU to clear. The leading van was B787253 and it was acting as a barrier wagon for oil tanks on 18th april 1985...
WEB Chester 14.jpg

Class 47 No. 47059 crosses the junction at Helsby with empty steel coil wagons from Shotton (via Wrexham) while a Hooton bound DMU waits in the adjacent platform...
WEB Chester 15.jpg

Another Metro-Cammell DMU waits to return to Hooton at Helby on 18th April 1985...
WEB Chester 17.jpg

25229 passing Helsby with the 14.30 goods from Llandudno Junction consisting of Cargowaggons from Holyhead plus oil and cement on 18th April 1985...
WEB Chester 16.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I ignored diesels during steam days, but by the time an interest grabbed me, the diesels were in an era all of their own. To me, the best were the mighty 40's and 45's. 45136 was working the 15.10 Bangor-Scarborough when it was held at Helsby while an unidentified Class 47 passed westbound with Mossend-Dee March steel coils on 18th April 1985...
WEB Chester 20.jpg

Three days later, it was the turn of Class 56 No. 56061 to work the Mossend-Dee Marsh steel train on 23rd April 1985. Note the hot coils were laid flat on this train, or 'eye-to-sky'...
WEB Chester 21.jpg

Heavy freight activity on the diverging track at Helby Junction was oil. A loaded train from Stanlow Oil Refinery crosses over the junction behind a clean Class 47 No.47019 at 16.48hrs on 23rd April 1985.....
WEB Chester 22.jpg

In the opposite direction, a pair of Class 20's Nos 20150 and 20086 were on 4-wheel tanks heading for the refinery at 16.40hrs on 23rd April 1985. Helsby at this time was well worth the drive down from North Wales, although one had to contend with almost head-on sun and judge exposures accordingly...
WEB Chester 23.jpg

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The possibility of subsidence in Cheshire could be attributed to salt. I rather think salt mining would be the cause but elsewhere salt can be extremely mobile underground. The presence of red (Triassic) sandstones in the cutting would be additional evidence of salt. It doesn’t outcrop much in wet climates!

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I remember reading about salt being mined or whatever in Cheshire, but as is usual for me, I loan books out to neighbours never to see them again.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Class 25 No. 25181 at Halton with te 14.30 goods from Llandudno Junction on 3rd May 1985...
WEB Chester 25.jpg

25268 and 25353 making lots of noise but not going very fast through Frodsham with a working from Stanlow Oil Refinery at 16.17 hrs on 3rd May 1985. Shadows in the street below show the sun was ahead of the camera...
WEB Chester 26.jpg

45105 entering Frodsham with the 15.18 Llandudno-Manchester on a bright but sunless 30th August 1985. A slightly longer telephoto lens was used for this shot than the previous one...

WEB Chester 32.jpg

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
The Anderton Boat Lift is at Northwich Cheshire and one of the reasons for it falling in to disuse was salt corrosion. Salt is extracted from below the whole area apparently by dissolving it with hot water and pumping it out. Fortunately the historical and heritage value of the boat lift was appreciated and it was restored.

If you've not seen it you should!

Brian

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
P
The Anderton Boat Lift is at Northwich Cheshire and one of the reasons for it falling in to disuse was salt corrosion. Salt is extracted from below the whole area apparently by dissolving it with hot water and pumping it out. Fortunately the historical and heritage value of the boat lift was appreciated and it was restored.

If you've not seen it you should!

Brian
Probably more likely to the very large ICI works of Winnington and Wallerscote (as was) being in fairly close proximity. The only rock salt mine is at Winsford. All the other sites follow the brine puping system. These days it is controlled extraction to reduce the possibility of subsidence though it is still possible in historically mined areas. If you want a full history you would be best visiting Weaver Hall Museum in Northwich, it is open again (former workhouse) but you have to pre-book in advance, complete with static models of some of the former factories and their railways/wagons etc. There is a very informative virtual tour of the Lion Salt Works as well

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The boat lift on the Canal du Midi at Béziers doesn’t work and the nine locks it was designed to avoid continue to do what they were designed for. Quite a sight to see a narrow boat being bobbed around by the currents coming down the flight.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
47187 rounds the curve through Helsby with MGR empties at 17.10hrs on 13th September 1985...
WEB Chester 33.jpg

A general view of Frodsham station with the up station buildings and goods shed still extant. A Metro-Cammell DMU departs for Manchester while another is seen in the distance heading for Chester on 21st May 1985. "Indians Head" on the skyline.
WEB Chester 29.jpg

25200 and 25190 were putting in maximum effort on the climb through Helby station with a heavy oil train from Stanlow' on 13th September 1985...
WEB Chester 34.jpg

Class 25 No. 25265 heads Freightliner flats away from Chester General station on the Crewe line at 13.20 hrs on 23rd April 1985...
WEB Chester 3.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
I had a ride along the Helsby to Hooton line behind steam - possibly a push-pull train? It must have been the early/mid 1950s because I remember we also traveled most of the Liverpool Overhead Railway on the same trip. My father and I had week long rail rover tickets covering the whole NW England. I would have been 4 - 5 years old and only remember parts of it.
Lovely photos, Larry.