LarryG's general album

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
That's a retrograde step by Epson, Larry. My stone age Epson scanner will deal with any neg or transparency up to 2 1/4" by any length - well probably about 6" would be the theoretical limit. In fact I have even cut new masks for some odd sizes. The only allowance I have to make is that it won't then produce a thumbnail, only a direct scan of what's on the platen. Conventional neg sizes produce a thumbnail although I always have the option to scan the full negative area.

Brian

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Shucks and double shucks: I have deleted my post as it was unfair to Epson. I found a video on YouTube and discovered what what I wasn't doing! One must click 'Configuration' at the bottom of the scan screen. This opens up a dialog box, so click on 'film size' and select 6x45, 6x6, 6x8 or 6x9. :bowdown:

Just scanned this of a 6X8 neg I shot in August 1964 of the Amlwch push-pull at Amlwch.
WEB Amlwch 1964 6x9.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Class 31 locos took over from the Class 25's and looked very smart in their Regional Railways colours. The same couldn't be said for the imported Network south East liveried coaches which they tended to haul. 31465 is near Sandycroft with the 13.50 Manchester-Llandudno on 14th August 1993. The Downj Slow track had been lifted by this date, as were lots of other loops etc after Freightliner traffic ceased in January 1991.
WEB Chester  49H.jpg

Class 33 No. 33056 Burma Star with white roof entering Flint with the14.17 Bangor-Cardiff on 26th February 1986...
WEB Chester 49.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I expect I am not alone in missing the Llangollen Railway. Even 29 years ago when this photo was taken, this line was a great escape from the increasingly dull BR system of Units. GWR Small Prairie No. 4566 ambles along near Deeside with the 15.35 Glyndyfrwy-Llangollen on 25th May 1992. Was it really all that long ago...

WEB Llangollen 4.jpg

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I expect I am not alone in missing the Llangollen Railway. Even 29 years ago when this photo was taken, this line was a great escape from the increasingly dull BR system of Units. GWR Small Prairie No. 4566 ambles along near Deeside with the 15.35 Glyndyfrwy-Llangollen on 25th May 1992. Was it really all that long ago...

View attachment 145636
Apparently, according to the local press, the Llangollen Railway is running the first trains since the financial debacle this weekend. Regrettably (or not!) these are DMUs but at last it's an indication that it's getting back on its feet. Whether this is the precursor to a proper service I don't know.

Brian

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry, that is only the second photo I have seen of a small prairie on the Ruabon Barmouth line. The early example was of Patrick Whitehouse's small prairie double heading a Talyllyn Society special. Perhaps they never went there except when on preservation specials?

Paul

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I did some research to see what old friend Bill Rear had to say in his Foxline albums. He mentioned that the 45xx's ruled themselves out on water capacity and the bunker payload would have given little margin of safety. I suppose it has to be remembered that the increasing weight of carriages has some bearing on this too.

The GWR were not very efficient when it came to coaches. The interior 'pod' in a GWR 57' corridor coach was exactly the same in a 61' coach although the latter was heavier! The extra space was given over larger lavatory cubicles, not larger compartments.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Apparently, according to the local press, the Llangollen Railway is running the first trains since the financial debacle this weekend. Regrettably (or not!) these are DMUs but at last it's an indication that it's getting back on its feet. Whether this is the precursor to a proper service I don't know.

Brian
I can find no mention of ticket price for the Llangollen-Berwyn journey.

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
The last time I travelled at the Llangollen railway we were treated to a Black 5 on the front - somewhere I've a photo, well before digital copy was available. It's such a shame what's gone on there. It really is a most beautiful run, either in the rain or sunshine. Great pic Larry, thanks for putting it up.

Mike

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I can find no mention of ticket price for the Llangollen-Berwyn journey.
I didn't say I had prices, Larry, only that it had re-opened, even if somewhat tentatively. Their web site appears to not be secure so I'm not going to check on line but I suspect a phone call would soon answer that question.

Brian

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I didn't say I had prices, Larry, only that it had re-opened, even if somewhat tentatively. Their web site appears to not be secure so I'm not going to check on line but I suspect a phone call would soon answer that question.

Brian
My post was obviously open to misinterpetation. What I really meant was I could find no mention of ticket prices following a search on google.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Berwyn Station on 23rd October 1992.
WEB Llangollen 6.jpg

Halcion days when sommat from oop north was visiting. Photographed near Glyndyfrdwy, those were the days when Duggy Birmingham kept the hedge low with his mobile hedge trimmer....
WEB Llangollen 5.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Ah well, back on course close to where I left off. This was 40001 sounding quite incredible storming past Sandtcroft with the 14.40 Lawley Street-Holyhead freightliner train following a signal check at Mold Junction on 27th April 1984...
WEB Chester 50A.jpg

Mainline livery 37013 working the 10.48 Holyhead-Birmingham NS passing a dutch liveried 37 on a down ballast working at Holywell Junction on 15th May 1997. The Up and down loops were out of use by this date. It is hard to imagine a little LNWR Coal Tank leaving the bay on the left of this view with the push-pull to Holywell town...
WEB Chester 50C.jpg

A triple-header passing Holywel Junction 5th June 1998. The locos were 37426, 37414 and 47841. The Class 47 was obvio0usly dead , but the answer will be found in a contempory issue of 'Traction' seeing as the pic was published...
WEB Chester 50D.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Class 37 No. 37408 Loch Rannoch passing mostyn dock and Warwick Chemicals with the 13.30 Holyhead-Manchester 'Irish Mancunian' on 2nd July 1993. I had a visit from the police while filming video up there after someone reported I was aiming the camera at their office windows. I was merely levelling the fluid-head tripod, which satisfied them...

WEB Chester 51B.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Holyhead Freightliner traffic ceased in January 1991, but this train was billed as a Freightliner Special from Mostyn Dock on 15t May 1997. 47339 with one wagon load from Warwick Chemicals had been sidelined into the loop at Holywell Junction. By this date the C&H was taking on an air of neglect as if weed control no longer mattered...
WEB Chester 52A.jpg

Beside the dual carriageway at Bagillt is this tidal basin. The tide was going out leaving a muddy marshland as 37418 cruised past with the 13.51 Holyhead-Birmingham on 11th June 1998...
WEB Chester 52B.jpg

The sector banners meant little, although they livened things up for interested linesiders. Coal Sector 37332 is passing the LNWR signal box at Mostyn with a ballast train from Penmeanmawr Quarry to Edge Hill on 3rd June 1997. There was once a very useful footbridge near the box, but someone decided it could be pulled down without infringing any bye-laws...
WEB Chester 52 C.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Class 45 No. 45103 looked and sounded very poorly as it passed Sandycroft with the 08.20 Newcastle-Llandudno on 20th september 1985...

WEB Chester 53B.jpg

47 503 caused quite a stir in railway magazine circles when Crewe works turned it out in Large Logo livery but with very small numerals. Seen working back from Llandudno Junction with the test train of redundant coaches at Samndycroft on 20th september 1985...
WEB Chester 53C.jpg

Large Logo Class 47 No. 47457 Ben Line heading an early morning Freightliner past the Courtaulds complex east of Holywell on 19th August 1986. One had to get up rather early to get the sun on this side of the tracks, but a note in my diary says "Couldnt sleep ~ too hot". So I jumped in the car...
WEB Chester 53E.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
It's that ship again with a glimpse of 45140 speeding along the coast with the 10.55 Scarborough-Holyhead on 12th October 1985....
WEB Chester 53D.jpg

The GWR 150 celebrations didnt quite work out when BR chose a green more remincent of recent Hornby activity than something akin to GWR Middle Chrome Green. Pale green 47 o78 Sir Damiel Gooch was heading the 13.24 Llandudno -Scarborough past Mostyn dock on 22nd July 1985. The exchange sidings appeared to have rounded up all the sulphur carrying wagons...
WEB Chester 53A.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
HST No. 43088 and 43132 speeding through Mostyn with the 13.55 Holyhead-Euston on 18th May 1992...
WEB Chester 54A.jpg

Not everyone wants ot weather their wagons, so here's a prototype! Class 20's regularly worked colliery traffic between Point of Air colliery and Fiddlers Ferry until replaced by larger motive power in the 1990's. Here, 20073 and 20181 are waiting to propel freshly painted hopper wagons into the coliery complex on 31st October 1988. The Down platform is all that remains of Talacre Station, closed in 1966...
WEB Chester 54B.jpg

Last edited: