LarryG's general album

Alvis

Had me fooled,mind you,that is pretty easy....Still,might get a 37 done in that for a special train tour on my forthcoming West Highland line.

Alastair.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
With the sun over the sea, the lighting was pretty good as 40034 topped the 1-in-100 at Llysfaen with the 1D58 Lawley Street-Holyhead Freghtliner at 8pm on on 30th July 1981. Another of those tall repeater signals was necessary here. Llysfaen signal box was on the other side of the quarry bridge. I purchased the nameboard for £40.00...
WEB Chester 62A.jpg

Viewed in the opposite direction, 40060 had cleared Penmaenrhos tunnel at 8am with the Horse & Carriage from holyhead on 27th april 1984. The signals had gone by this date and the cutting side removed during construction of the A55 Expressway. This was the terminus of the line from Chester for a short while due to difficulty in tunneling through the hard rock...
WEB Chester 62B.jpg

The view from the other end of the tunnel towards Colwyn Bay was marred by telegraph wires in those days. Class 25 No. 25141 approaches the tunnel with the 1D17 13.02 Llandudno-Crewe on 12th August 1978. This had been a DMU turn for years. The A55 cuts under the line near the fourth telegraph pole today...
WEB Chester 62C.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
25205 draws its LMS design Inspection Saloon (DM 54029) along the coast high above Colwyn promenade on 4th May 1983. I was standing on what had been allotments. White painted timbers denote the 'batter' or slope that will have to be cut for the forthcoming A55 Expressway. The Pier is long gone today and the beach looks very different since the introduction of sea defences. I was shooting on my sons Fujica ST705 which produced a blue cast on Kodachrome 64...
WEB Chester 62D.jpg

Colwyn Bay remained pretty well intact with four platform faces and tall signals when Class 40 No. 40093 was pictured leaving the station after dropping some ballast on Tuesday 15th July 1980...
WEB Chester 62E.jpg

I couldnt resist posting this one! I was driving over to see Roy Dock at GEM Model Railways along the newly opened Col-Con A55 Expressway and pulled onto the hard shoulder for this shot of 45140 departing Colwyn Bay with the 11.15 Bangor-Newcastle on 2nd May 1985. The road was empty and one wouldnt dare do that today! Roy said it wouldn't be long before we see lane closures. He was right! The A55 from Chester to Holyhead has always been notorious for them.
WEB Chester 62F.jpg

Res Class 47 No. 47559 excellerates past the Spring daffodils of Airias Park with the 13.23 Bangor-Crewe on 24th April 1996...
WEB Chester 62G.jpg

simond

Western Thunderer
I vaguely remember that, from a very long time ago. We often used to do a day trip to the beach. I have a photo of the prom, my Dad's Morris Oxford, and our Corgi, which must date from ~ 64 or 65 I guess - only relevant as it was Colwyn Bay.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Great picture of the Inspection Saloon Larry, keep them coming. I think that your fingers were no synchronised though when you entered the number:oops:

regards

Mike

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Great picture of the Inspection Saloon Larry, keep them coming. I think that your fingers were no synchronised though when you entered the number:oops:

regards

Mike
It's the dyslexia I'm afraid. Spelling mistakes are a lot more obvious to me than numbering mistakes. I had you in mind when I selected that photo of the saloon.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A pity about the pier, I suppose the miniature railway has long gone too.
Our friend Gwillim drove the promenade loco. That was in the days when Colwyn Bay was a holiday resort. Phil H knew him and might have a picture of the train.

An abiding memory of Colwyn Bay is alighting from a train in 1961 or 62 and walking back to look at the Princess 4-6-2 standing at the head of the 'Horse & Carraige'. Red or green I don't know, but it just looked magnificent.

Last edited:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
It's the dyslexia I'm afraid. Spelling mistakes are a lot more obvious to me than numbering mistakes. I had you in mind when I selected that photo of the saloon.

Inspection Saloons are so appealing, let us hope that the RTR version is accurate, shame that they chose the BR version of the design in that there are fewer livery options, we wait with baited breath.

Stay safe and well.

regards

Mike

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Further to the Colwyn Bay promenade railway, the view below shows Prince Charles at the Dingle terminus in 1954. UN9820 was a nice Humber with something from around 1930 in the foregound...
WEB Chester 63A.jpg

An age of innocence. This was at the Pier end termus in August 1954. Modernity in the form of an Austin A40 Reg. NTJ 565 also in view...
WEB Chester 63B.jpg
Photos by Allan Pratt.

An event took place in 2001 that recreated a bus route operated by the LNWR from Rhos-on-Sea to Colwyn Bay railway station. It no doubt tapped into the wealthy clientel that lived in outer-Rhos...
WEB Chester A.jpg

Waiting to depart Rhos-on-Sea on 3rd May 2001...
WEB Chester C.jpg

Passing under the Chester-Holyhead line at Colwyn Bay. I borrowed my sons cheap digital camera while covering this event. I say cheap, but as anyone knows who ventured into early digital, they were far from innexpensive. I was so impressed that I bought one and ran digital in parallel with slide film before switching over completely...
WEB Chester B.jpg

Last edited:

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
I suppose the lake side miniature railway at Rhyl has gone too. Been on both in my youth. Think I might have a snap or two of the Colwyn Bay one but not Rhyl, we usually went to Llandudno for hols if it wasn't to the West Country.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Gresley A4 No. 60027 Merlin leaving Colwyn Bay with the 'North Wales Coast Express' at 17.25hrs on 3rd September 1991...WEB Chester 63J.jpg

Photographed from the Bye-pass, 71000 Duke of Gloucester was approaching Colwyn Bay with 'The Ynys Mon Express' on 25th May 1992...
WEB Chester 63G.jpg

Some years earlier, the only steam was steam heating! 45069 was oozing plenty when it turned up at Colwyn with the 11.14 Bangor-Newcastle on 14th november 1985. The station had seen some rebuilding in the early 1980's, but it still retained the LNWR screens to protect passengers from the biting winds off the sea...
WEB Chester 63C.jpg

A '45' of a different kind. No. 45157 Scottish Highlander getting into its stride at Colwyn Bay with the 'Ynys Mon Express' from Holyhead on 16th August 2000....
WEB Chester 63CC.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Commencing 8th June 1978, several DMU workings were replaced by loco-hauled stock. With the rundown of the Class 24's in full swing, few people expected to see the surivors on passenger duties at this late date. 24023 approaches Colwyn Bay with the 09.42 LlandudnoManchester victoria on 12th July 1978...
WEB Chester 63F.jpg]

40057 Climbs past Penhos College at 17.00hrs with a Holyhead-bound Freightliner on 15th July 1980...
WEB Chester 63D.jpg

Looking the other way, 40141 rolls towards colwyb Bay with the 10.40 Llandudno-Manchester Victoria on 23rd May 1980. Before too long, this section of track would become the A55 Expressway and the railway would be where the trees and buildings are on the RH side of this picture. There was quadruple track here in steam days and Brompton Road bridge in the background carried tram tracks of the Llandudno & Colwyn Bay Tramway until 1956...
WEB Chester 63E.jpg

Last edited: