LarryG's loco & coach WB (4mm/00)

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Larry, that's a lovely looking coach and a foretaste of your skills, in an era when there were far fewer accurate models and kits about. Indeed, every class of LMS or BR standard loco could be built by hacking a Triang Princess about and adding plasticard or laminated manilla envelope material to make replacement parts. Thank goodness we've moved on from that.
Dave.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I looked into producing that 8-wheel open coach in etched brass back in 2007 but the Fox bogies in my Larriparts range were unobtainable and so was a suitable roof on which to add a clerestory. Like a lot of Midland Railway coaches, they looked nothing without the full panelled livery. In old age, I prefer LMS Stanier designs.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I mentioned earlier that I used Triang CKD roofs in the early 1960s. Amazingly I still have one! It is a shallow eliptical roof as can be seen beside a 'normal' Dart Casting aluminium roof....

WEB Roofs 1.jpg

I have a use for it on a GWR Dia. E113 corridor brake composite which had a lower than usual elliptical roof and an 8' 6" wide body, if I can find an etch...
WEB Roofs 2.jpg

Afternoon Larry. Apologies for a question out of the blue.
I'm back to interior Coach detailing and wondered what paint(s) you used for that lovely Darkish Wood, slightly gloss panel colour for Vestibules, Bulkheads and often Compartments (or Open) Interiors of (e.g.) Mk1s.
From my brief research, that colour looks fairly common for many BR Days Coaches, including my main Stock of Bulleids, alongside Mk 1s. I'm using Plasticard interiors, either scratch or, Southern Pride bespoke as per model. I prefer Acrylic and would probably hand paint, but happy to be advised about Aerosols and Enamels.
I hope you can answer this? Thanks for your time.
Oh, I should also say it's good to see that you still Coach bash to a superb standard.
Phil

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil (Mallard). Apologies but I have only just come across your question. I spray interiors with a Halfords Ford colour akin to sand, but I can't say which colour because I binned the empty can in a thoughtless moment. While this 'sand colour was still wet, I lightly wafted over some Halfrods 'Ford Roman Bronze'. So the partitions got more of the darker colour if in LMS Period I stock and less if in Stanier stock. These gloss colours looked okay and gave the appearance of polished veneers.

EHertsGER

It appears I have acquired W6307W of the batch of diagram E157 discussed at the outset of this post, just in case you wondered where it went!

Best,
Marcus

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Marcus, the Dia. E157 was produced for ourselves (Adrian Roland and I), but a few more were built for friends to use up the etches.