LarryG's loco & coach WB (4mm/00)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I've started building a GWR C73 corridor third. This was an early GWR low-waist design with fake doors on the corridor side except at the very ends. It's a coach I have always promised myself..

WEB GWR C73 2.jpg

Using good tinsnips, I reduced their width (RH droplight)...
WEB GWR C73 3.jpg

The roof rebate was filed down on one side of the roof to clear the tope of the corridor windows...
WEB GWR C73 4.jpg

The prepared sides with a reformed tumblehome to suit the GWR, droplights soldered in place and brass door hinges fitted...
WEB gwr C73 5.jpg

WEB GWR C73 5B.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
GWR D117 non-corridor Brake Third is on the go this morning. The sides are Comet Models along with the ends. The latter are actually intended for for bow-ended coaches on which to attach cast bow ends. These coaches may all have had windows in the brake end, but I haven't any so rule 1 will prevail. This coach will be spare at Llanfair for when additional accommodation is required...
WEB GWR D117 1.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The E157 brake composite was upgraded this morning to match in finish the D117 brake third. In other words, the roof, interior and glazing were removed and the sides lightly sprayed over with diluted weathering rust. Hinges were weathered with powders, then the lot was reassembled...
WEB GWR E157 0.jpg

A D117 leading, but with a difference. It had most likely suffered wartime damage and been rebuilt with deeper low-waist windows (and rivetted roof). The other coaches are high waist...
WEB GWR D117 7.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A new etch arrived today for GWR C83 Hawksworth non-corridor all-third. It was both an exciting and a sad time for me. It's a coach I have wanted since Adrian Rowland at Northstar involved me in some research, and it is the last CAD he will draw. The research resulted in Adrian getting the coach he wanted and me getting the C83. He set the ball rolling designing CADs for me in 2001, so it has been a good run.

It is a body-only etch on 12 thou. I intend putting it on a Hornby Hawksworth chassis, so the first job was to carefully form a very slight tumblehome before fitting etched door hinges and grab handles. One side was then soldered to two ends followed by the remaining side. The extruded ali roof is from Dart Castings; it's deep rebate giving ample surface for applying Evostik Contact adhesive....

WEB GWR C83 2.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The Hawksworth C83 full third awaiting the paintshop. These post-war coaches followed the late prewar trend for door handles offset from the centre of the adjacent grab handles. There is always trial & error with a new concept, and I can honestly say that adapting a Hornby Hawskworth corridor coach chassis to fit this body was not one of my better ideas....

WEB GWR C83 4.jpg

A characteristic of Hawksworth coaches was their slab-sided appearance with only a slight tumblehome. Actually 20' radius on full size coaches as against a pre-war composite radius of 10' & 13' on deep-window stock and 8'-10¾" on earlier high waist stock...WEB GWR C83 5.jpg

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry,

That is a nice looking suburban coach!

I see that Ragstone Models now sell the Orion C83 7mm scale kit. I know that in my Moor Street time period the lack of first class passengers (they all started to drive cars!) meant the suburban sets were modified to a 3 coach combination of a B Set and one all third non-corridor coach.

The C83 would seem to be a good fit, but was it prototypical?

Paul

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry,
The C83 would seem to be a good fit, but was it prototypical?

Paul
I think so. The Hawksworth were all over the place and easy to spot once you know what to look for. Once Adrian and I spotted them on the Bala-Ffestiniog branch, they seemed to pop up everywhere.

I wasn't at all happy with the plastic underframe ad so have started afresh, well almost. I found a floor etched 15 years ago for my D1196 MR Dining Car and altered it accordingly. It was ideal because it was wider than normal and so the extra width was just right for the Hawksworth coach. The glued on roof was removed so that I could solder the floor to the sides and ends. That's as far as I've got...
WEB GWR C83 6.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
That's better. I'm at home with metal..! Solebars and stepboards were made up from scrap brass strip. Because solebars were spaced wider apart, I had to use narrower footboards. These are 22 thou thickness and were rigid enough to stay straight while soldering them to the solebars. The trussing was retrieved from scrapped Hornby chassis...

WEB GWR C83 7.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A lot more work went into the coach this morning when it was found the stepboards were still too wide. I masked off the coach sides as protection while I used a large file to remove much metal from the edge of both stepboards to bring the overall width across the coach to a scale 9 feet.
WEB GWR C83 7.jpg

The Hornby bogies had brass 9' bogie top plates fitted on which to mount tension-lock couplings. The trussrod 'pod (clogged with brass filings) is cock-eyed because it was only tacked on for these photos. The coach really is ready for painting now...
WEB GWR C83 8.jpg