LarryG's loco & coach WB (4mm/00)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Odds & Sods.....

The window in the ducket is Humbrol 27003 MetalCote buffed up when dry to give a mirror efect...
WEB LMS D1916 6.jpg

I wasn't satisfied with my own LMS bogies and so purchased some MJT cosmetic LMS bogie sideframes to solder to my etched top plates. The holes were drilled deeper and countersunk to take brass bearings...
WEB LMS MJT bogies.jpg

I'm happy with these bogies to the extent that I'll order more and my own can sit in the drawer...
WEB LMS MJT Bogies 2.jpg

The all important bogie mounted footboard below the guards compartment...
WEB LMS D1916 6B.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
More MJT LMS Rivetted bogies arrived today as did Gibson coach wheels from CM3 Models, both of whom did a quick turn round. This is the state of play as I type :- Painted and weathered awaiting welded type bogies....
WEB LMS D2119 5.jpg

Welded bogies built tonight. They had longer springs than pre-war and had LNWR style tie rods...
WEB LMS D2119 bogies.jpg
Interior sprayed gloss light fawn and stippled with dark brown to create varnished wood effect. Seats bufferbeam red to show up in 4mm...
WEB LMS D2119 interior.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I chose a Period II Open Second as the fourth LMS coach for the excursion train. Only four coaches were needed and I have yet to build a corridor brake second for the other end. But it means I can ring the changes with this and any other spare coaches. It is intended to give this one mucky blood & custard.

Finished ready for paintshop. Interior to be sorted tomorrow...
WEB LMS D1807 2.jpg

WEB LMS D1807 3.jpg

PS: (13.11.21) Use of tape on the tumblehome was experimental. If it lifts, it is a nuisance to glue down again ~ if it keeps on lifting. Loctite leaves a blemish which shows up at the primer stage. It's removal merely involves more wasted time. It is far easier to rule such beading on using a bow-pen and thick-ish cellulose paint.

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Painted and weathered. The LMS Period II coach design spanned less than four years, but it produced some handsome vehicles and covered the transition from Period I high-waist fully panelled coaches to low-waist flush exteriors coaches of Period III design...
WEB LMS D1807 4.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I must resist attempting flash photography on the WB at night! Outdoor shots even in poor light usually produce better results. I travelled in ex.LMS blood & custard open coaches from Bangor to Afon Wen in the very early 1960's when this livery was looking rather work-worn...
WEB LMS D1807 5.jpg

I have a simple technique for colouring coach interiors using Halford rattle cans. No primer is required. They are sprayed Ford Tuscan Beige and while wet are lightly sprayed from distance with Ford Roman Bronze. This produces an acceptable stippled wood effect. For darker wood, I spray on more of the Bronze as below. Then the seats are picked out with matt enamels. Job done...
WEB LMS open interior.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The final 'necessary' coach for the London Midland rake is a Stanier Period III brake second to DS1968. I presume the 'S' is for Special, for these coaches were built stronger than other Period III coaches. All except those built at Wolverton had sides welded to the floor with the idea of giving greater protection to trains in the event of a mishap.

As far as I am aware, no other model coach producer tackled this variant, so I just had to build the last one from the 2008 batch for myself. For those who haven't read this before, the coach sides are deeper than other coaches and have to be soldered a millimetre below the floor...

WEB LMS DS1968 1.jpg

The end view shows the side overlapping the solebar...
WEB LMS DS1968 2.jpg

Needless to say, they had welded (rivet less) underframes. WB shot...
WEB LMS DS1968 3.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
It's a branch of the hobby I like best. It also means I can have almost any coach I want.

I look back with nostalgia on the LMS Stanier coaches and night journeys in particular between Wales and Manchester snug in those Empire veneer third class compartments with the steam heating turned up.

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
Funny, isn’t it. I loathe building coaches, they’re fiddly, they need a really good paint job, there’s lots of repetitive detail, and they’re large & fragile. And you need between 1 & 6 times as many as you need locos…

I suppose if I could somehow contrive to acquire Larry’s skills, knowledge & experience, but I think I’ve left it a bit late…