LarryG's loco & coach WB (4mm/00)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Since taking all the photos above, I have had to remove both ends and fit new ones. The originals, which were etched separate from the floor, were set too low and left a 1mm gap between the end and the roof. I found some spare 18 years old ends and was glad I kept them!
WEB LMS D1751 4C.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Still awaiting coach roofs.

I wouldn't know what do do all winter if I wasn't building, so I am starting on an LMS D1904 open third. The etches were ordered for a job some years ago, but it kind of melted away and then I retired. So I have plenty and may as well built one for myself. I'll move onto painting when the weather warms up. 14 coaches are awaiting the spray shop....
WEB LMS D1904 1.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I had a choice of two ex.Midland Railway coaches and chose this D1284 brake third over D1283 brake composite because I have enough coaches with first class accommodation.
WEB MR D1284 1.jpg
The MR D1284's were the final Midland corridor coaches and the last one was built under the auspices of the LMS in 19324. They were in effect LMS coaches with the same chassis although the three compartment bodies were an oddball. The last one was scrapped in 1961 and so it fits into the period of my layout...
WEB MR D1284 2.jpg

Non-matching matchboard ends came from the scrap box...
WEB MR D1284 3.jpg
WEB MR D1284 4.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
An all-brass interior had been made before it dawned on me that if I was calling a halt to building coaches, I should be using up the plastic interiors as well as etchings and other parts.
WEB MR D1284 5.jpg

Some detail still to be added. Unlike the LMS, the Midland mounted battery boxes on both sides of the underframe.....
WEB MR D1284 6.jpg

I have a particular job in mind for this coach. Right from the early days of BR, passenger coaches were used for carrying parcels etc. I'll try to dig out a photo. This coach will be used occasionally to take out the daily wares of the raincoat company at Llanfair...
WEB MR D1284 6B.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Finished ready for the sprayshop. I have seen a photo of one in BR lined maroon at Chinley, but this 'un will be in grubby blood & custard to show it is spending much of its time on parcels work...
WEB MR D1284 8A.jpg

Waist and top door hinges added plus destination board holders and beading down edges of doors and over panel repairs. I have none of my own MR 9' bogie sideframes with MR axleboxes left in stock, but I am very pleased with these MJT LMS bogies from Dart Castings...
WEB MR D1284 8B.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I am busy completing a new-build but it cannot be shown for a while. I only have enough castings to complete two more LMS etched coaches and am prevented from buying in more stock due to the non-availability of BR steam-era transfers for ex.LMS coaches.

There is no shortage of materials and transfers to build more ex.GWR coaches, but I don't need any! So it looks like I'll be spraying & lining the mountain of brass coaches for the foreseeable future, probably finishing just in time for recommencing the layout in the Spring.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I am busy completing a new-build but it cannot be shown for a while. I only have enough castings to complete two more LMS etched coaches and am prevented from buying in more stock due to the non-availability of BR steam-era transfers for ex.LMS coaches.

There is no shortage of materials and transfers to build more ex.GWR coaches, but I don't need any! So it looks like I'll be spraying & lining the mountain of brass coaches for the foreseeable future, probably finishing just in time for recommencing the layout in the Spring.

Sounds like you need to turn your hand to LSWR coaches Larry!

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry

Lovely builds as always.

I'm on the verge of retiring (June 2022) and need to pick your brains over the shed you use for painting your models. Are there any words of wisdom or maybe a common sense approach I should take to such a shed - I should like to be able to use it most of the year.

Like you my favourite modeling is building coaches, I don't have as many as you to paint but I do have lots of little projects that need the attention of a airbrush / spraygun. So any help or ideas would be appreciated.

regards

Mike

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Mike, the lads at the local shed centre built me a sprayshop to a rough drawing I gave them. I spray with the door open and so it was vital to have a canopy across the doorway to deflect rain. The only time I cannot spray is when the rain is being driven towards the door. A convector heater is used for safety. Other fittings are a thermometer, a clock, compressor, gun, box of old nylon stockings for filtering and old shirts for paint rags plus shelves. Internal shed measurements are 6' X 4' plus 14" canopy overhang.

WEB Sprayshop 1.jpg WEB Sprayshop 2.jpg

Last edited: